Armada 1 Over LAN Network

Talk here about any Star Trek Game you play.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

OVCathens
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Armada 1 Over LAN Network

Post by OVCathens » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:41 pm

Okay... Since 2002ish I've had Star Trek Armada. It is my oldest and strictly speaking my long time favorite game. A good 6 years ago, my parents decided to get a new computer, and move our old computer out of the office somewhere else in the house. With me, fixing the computer and making it internet capable and installing Armada on the new computer, my brother and I had the intention of playing together (both being federation and "teaming up to fight the Borg" to be cheesily precise).

However, when I hosted the game on one computer, perfecting all of the game settings, it soon became apparent that my brother couldn't see my game on the lobby. We tried over and over again in different combinations with him and I hosting in different combinations to no avail. We determined that it simply wouldn't work.

Now, just a few months ago, us both having laptops decided to get the game out again and just take a shot out of the blue to see if it just MIGHT work. We both started up our games, but once again he couldn't see my game, so he turned of Armada and noticed that his firewall had blocked Armada. Starting the game up again we finally got the chance to play Star Trek Armada together for the first time in our lives.

A few weeks later however (on a different network back at home, albeit with the same service provider, Charter) we attempted to play again, but this time we couldn't connect once again. No matter how much we fiddled, neither of us could see each other's games in the lobby. (Strangely enough, when attempted with another friends laptop it actually worked, and they were both Acer laptops. :( ) Thinking it might have something to do with the network, we returned to my dad's apartment (where we had successfully connected a few weeks previously) and recreated the conditions that were going on when we played a few weeks prior. Unfortunately I was unable to do so... As we could no longer see each other's hosted games in our lobbies anymore.

I am running an HP Pavilion dv6 with Windows 7
-avast! AntiVirus software
-ZoneAlarm Firewall
-Armada (in Windows XP [Service Pack 2] compatibility mode)

My brother is running an Acer laptop with Windows Vista
-avast! AntiVirus software
-Armada (no compatibility mode, though I do believe I tried running it in the same compatibility mode as mine with no success.)

Both of us were also using Hamachi the time we managed to get armada to connect, a tunneling program that when logged in, connects all computers in the server to interface as if they were on a local area network.

Based on what I have seen however, I almost feel as if it is my laptop that is preventing the connection (as his laptop was able to make a connection with another Acer laptop while I could not). Could certain ports be blocked that prevent Armada from making the connection? What ports does Armada (1) use? I have already checked my firewall and there are all ready connection rules set to allow Armada.exe to make outgoing and ingoing connections.

Dominus_Noctis
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Dominus_Noctis » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:05 am

If I recall correctly, Hamachi needs several more ports forwarded for at least older games. Hamachi will need only one UDP and one TCP port to be forwarded to your computer. You can select any port you wish from the Hamachi settings. If you have enabled UPnP for your router you can set Hamachi to automatically forward the required ports when needed

I'd however recommend using Tunngle, which offers much better performance for A1/A2 in my experience as well. It tries to automatically forward all ports, though there is a single port which may need to be opened for some people (can be done via the interface in Tunngle).

OVCathens
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by OVCathens » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:56 am

Hmmm but that would mean that Hamachi is a part of the problem rather the solution.

Our games wouldn't connect even when we were sitting next to each other with Hamachi off on our local area network.

Dominus_Noctis
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Dominus_Noctis » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:31 pm

Yes, that could very well be the case - some VPN protocols cause issues when multiple computers log onto the same network. This can even be a passive issue, where just the presence of the VPN's adaptor causes an issue bear in mind.

OVCathens
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by OVCathens » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:39 pm

Hmmm, well the next time I get the chance, how do you think I could remedy this issue?

Dominus_Noctis
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Dominus_Noctis » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:13 am

I would perhaps try with Tunngle (either on the same network or not) - it can't hurt, and it won't take too much of your time. I would be sure to uninstall Hamachi first however, as it has a tendency of also acting up when other VPNs are installed... -.- As you can tell, I'm not that big of a fan of Hamachi, as I had to explore the gamut of problems when organizing a stable network for the Fleet Ops community.

Alternatively, there is a small group of intermittent players who use Game Ranger over at starmada - http://starmada.freeforums.org/online-g ... er-t4.html. I don't know know much about the protocol, but it should also function :) .

OVCathens
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by OVCathens » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:09 am

Hmmmm I can see you point in trying to uninstall hamachi. I might attempt that the next time I try to play LAN. However, I have already attempted to use GameRanger. To make things short... It doesn't work. (At least for me and solving my Armada connectivity problems.)

eddy94
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by eddy94 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:44 pm

if you open the net.ini file in the root directory and increase the MaxBandwidth figure to a much higher number that should fix the problem
eddy94

OVCathens
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by OVCathens » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:44 pm

eddy94 wrote:if you open the net.ini file in the root directory and increase the MaxBandwidth figure to a much higher number that should fix the problem
I upped it to 400000, and I still have the same problem.

OVCathens
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by OVCathens » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:45 pm

Erm... Hmmm... I'm just confused. How could one single Tunneling Client be the cause of a pre-existing problem that existed prior to me even using it in the first place?

OVCathens
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by OVCathens » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:41 am

Well I uninstalled Hamachi, and installed Tunngle. Well, I am a bit overwelmed with the interface to be quite honest.

Is there an option to host private armada matches between friends instead of going to the main Armada lobby Tunngle provides? I've read that Tunngle automatically hosts for you once you go to the multiplayer lobby of a game, but I tried this but nothing happened.

OVCathens
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by OVCathens » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:27 am

Update:

My and my brother both have tried to play Armada with and without Hamachi activated, with no success.

This time around, we decided to deactivate our wireless connections and connected our laptops directly via an ethernet cable in the hopes to avoid our network router completely. We tried hosting/joining games on our LAN lobby both in situations where Hamachi is on and off. Neither yielded different results. So I know this isn't a router issue.

Also, my brother and I both took extra care to make sure that our firewalls were off, and that our firewalls had explicit exceptions for Armada.exe, to allow connections both way in any network. This is starting to frustrate me.

MrVulcan
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Post by MrVulcan » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:11 pm

If you tried connecting the computers directly via the ethernet cable, you would require a crossover cable (not the standard ethernet cable). This method is rarely used to connect computers, so you might not have a spare crossover cable. If all else keeps failing, you can try to pick up the crossover at your electronics store.

I think the main problem is still somewhere in the network setup. Try running a good diagnostic; make sure file sharing works, and you can get remote desktop working. Might come across the problem while setting these up. Might need to place both computers on the same workgroup.

OVCathens
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by OVCathens » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:44 pm

Thank you for the info, my brother and I picked up a crossover cable today, and still, no avail.

How would one go about running a network diagnostic, and in this case, what exactly would one look for in a diagnostic pertaining to armada. We run on the same network all the time, and can see each other's laptops in the Network/Workgroup tabs of our Windows Explorers.

MrVulcan
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Post by MrVulcan » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:11 pm

I suspect that it is the security/firewall that's causing problems here. If the crossover didn't work, it doesn't seem to be the network setup that's wrong. Not sure what else to recommend.

Your antivirus/firewall software might have multiple modules in it that have to be turned off separately. You might have to dig around to see. Unfortunaltely, I have no experience with either avast, or zone alarm so can't be of much help there.

Try running a general search on game network problems, "disconnecting when joining". Might find something similar.

Also, I would give gameranger a try. Would be a lot slower than LAN, but might have better chances of working.