Master of Orion 3

Any Games game you play including Play Station X-Box and Nintendo 64 ect...

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

Warmaster_Rob
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Master of Orion 3

Post by Warmaster_Rob » Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:23 pm

Has anyone played this?

i personally think it is an awesome game with a real ability for games to last for weeks. i have as yet not seen much about it on the net. i have found the 'ghostly' official site (its so quiet it looks like a seen from '28 days later')

anyway i was just wondering what everyone else thinks of the game, if you like strategy games, combat games and things like sim city then this is it. sim city is kinda a bad example (being a low action game) but the depth of control over planetary governing that 'MOO3' gives is easily comparable.

also has anyone played the previous 2 games of this series. i found some screenshots but thats about it.

Thanks for reading

Rob
Come join the strongest vampire clan in the world

dragonbreath
Ensign
Ensign

Post by dragonbreath » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:34 am

I have this game. I think MoO2 was better in game play. There are like two good mod sites for MoO3, but thgeir content is almost identical.

I like the game, for a turn based game. but it take forever to get some techs... too many unexplained causes for the tech to be delayed.

Combat is cool to watch but hard. Some times the enemy ships are impossible to find so you spend the whole time looking in the corners and ending up with a draw. :( The AI builds huge fleets but are too easy to hold up and bypass. You can stall their whole fleet in one of their systems and attack all their other systems.

MoO2 had a few bugs with money and had a great game editor. The Ai was too hard for me to beat, but that was full (I was never any good at the game, but I loved it).

Haven't tried MoO1...

dragonbreath

Warmaster_Rob
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Warmaster_Rob » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:36 am

I'm guessing that at least 1 of the mod sites you refer to is www.moo3mods.com
i've been there... so cold and quiet, its a shame, the game has real potential and there was even talk of modding it into a B5 game. i agree it does take its time to run through the tech tree, but i must say i have not been able to hold up a fleet in a given system, i either destroy them or they destroy me.

its most likely my computer but i find that once the game reaches about 200 or so turns it begins to take quite a while to load each turn. how about you?

also, has there been much online gaming with these games and would you recomend moo2 to buy.

thanks

Rob

dragonbreath
Ensign
Ensign

Post by dragonbreath » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:59 am

Yeap, that the one. The other site is just as cold and quiet. [] Too much wasted potential as you said.

Ok, about holding up a fleet.
1. they have to be at war with you.
2. you need a strong set of at least 10 armadas more is better.
3. you see their fleet coming
4. intercept they in their own system.
5. you blockade their system... and hope they don't attack you. That's the key.

That should hold them as long as they don't engage you. And the most important part is it has to be in their system. If it's in your system or a non-held system, they either beat you or bypass you.

If you hold them there they'll start amassing a huge fleet of armadas, so send an armada every turn to build up your forces. If you have 20+ armadas I think it's ok to attack their planet. If you loose you only loose 10 armadas and the other will stay to blockade the system.

No, it's not just your computer. around 200 hundred turns most of the systems have been explored and many colonized so you computer is auto-saving EVERY turn (I think). and that's a lot of data. I don't think there's a way to stop the auto-save and since I haven't been able to turn it off I don't know for sure. The auto-saved file size should be about 20MBs each... and there's about five of them. It takes about 5 minutes between turns.

I haven't seen any gaming of MoO2 online. It's amost a completely different game from MoO3. Pretty lower graphics and game play compared to MoO3. I personally like it. It's all 2d and the combat is turn based. No star lanes as in MoO3. The MoO2 computer cheats... but that's my personal opinion. It all depends on you. If you can find it for 5 bucks it's worth a look.

dragonbreath

Warmaster_Rob
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Warmaster_Rob » Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:37 am

sweet, i'll have a look around, see if i can find it.

see you round, may call upon you for a game in the future. havent got a worth while internet conection right now but should have by november. :D

Bombermangba
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

I just bought this game

Post by Bombermangba » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:18 pm

Any pointers, I've played for about 12 hours with it and I find it quite the game, and I love the unlimited Turns option.

CenturionV
Ensign
Ensign

Post by CenturionV » Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:43 am

I currently own Moo3 and after being an avid fan of moo2, galactic civilizations, and the space empires series, I was extremely disapointed with almost every feature of moo3, it was cold, boring, it took thousands of hours to play, it was complex for no reason, you some times had to dig through 20 menus just to get to some minor imperial setting.

There is a really simple reason its not a hit classic like moo and moo2, its just not that great of a game outta the box.

There was a few mods/patches I found when I first attempted to play it that made it slightly more playable, but overall games like galactic civilizations, Space empires 4, and even the original moo or moo2 (which I strangely cannot seem to get working, though moo classic works fine) Are far supperior, SE4 for complexity, and galciv for its feel and playability,

If your trying to play this game and are enjoying it right outta the box, fine.
But if your trying to learn it, I suggest you just head out and grab galactic civilizations and the XP from your local game store http://www.galciv.com/index.asp?c=1&u=0

or order space empires 4 http://www.malfador.com/se4.html
"Oh, now be honest, Captain. Warrior to warrior. You do prefer it this way, don't you, as it was meant to be. No peace in our time. "Once more unto the breach, dear friends."

Warmaster_Rob
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Warmaster_Rob » Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:38 am

well i guess its all down to personal taste.

i myself like the way it takes hrs to play, it gives me it a 'life like' feel. dont get me wrong i enjoy quick games but sometimes i get bored of sitting down to a game knowing that win or lose it'll be over in 2-3hrs. a1 is typical of this. i adore a1 but within 90mins if not before i'm in an impenetrable position and the next few hrs are spent with me toying with the ai until i get bored enough to wipe them out.

again in defense of MoO3 i enjoy the complexity, though i have not encountered the trouble of scrolling through menu after menu that youve experienced.

many i have spoken to say it is not as good as its predessors or have the edge in some areas that galciv or se4 have.
Though it may not be the best it is still a damn good game with decent points in all areas (as opposed to excelling in a particular field).
many of the people i have spoken to i feel have not given moO3 the credit it deserves, straight outta the box as you put it it has many flaws i grant you, but so does a1 and dont even get me started on a2 :roll: but with the odd mod a1 has become an institution whereas MoO3 was never given such attention, why? i dont know but if someone could make a decent mod for it i believe its strengths would shine through.

thats enough talk from me

JPKTrekker
Captain
Captain

Post by JPKTrekker » Sun May 15, 2005 4:06 am

Masters Of Orion III was a good game, however I have always prefered real-time strategy games over turn-based strategy games.
"Until Hell calls my name!"

Darklight
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Darklight » Wed May 24, 2006 8:21 am

Is this game like Birth of the Federation game?
Tuvok: "We're not building a 'hot-rod' Mister Paris."
Paris: "That's excatly what we are building an ultra-aerodynamic, ultra-responsive hot-rod!"

Piscean33
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Piscean33 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:27 am

Check out the system requirements of Master of Orion 3, since you may get an idea why it is is freezing in Windows 7:
Operating systems: Windows 95 or Windows 98 or Windows Me or Windows XP
Processor: Intel Pentium II 300 MHz or better
RAM: 128 MB or more
Video Card: DirectX 8.0 compatible (must be able to display 800x600 16bit)
Sound Card: DirectX 8.0 compatible
Hard Drive: 400 MB or more free
Just find out where your system is lagging behind and upgrade the same to solve the problem.

Piscean33
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Piscean33 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:13 am

Master of Orion 3 is the only game I have ever returned because it was just that poop. Picture this – a civilisation contacts you, states that you will not insult them any further and then declares war. This is the third turn of the game, and you have yet to research interstellar drives. Five turns later they contact you again, begging for mercy. You declare peace, still not able to find their system.

Then the game crashes, corrupting the save game file.