Xbox 360 and next gen game consoles

Any Games game you play including Play Station X-Box and Nintendo 64 ect...

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

odyssey
Ensign
Ensign

Xbox 360 and next gen game consoles

Post by odyssey » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:37 am

So, did anybody get their hands on that ultra hard to find hardware called the Xbox 360? Is it all it cracked up or hyped to be? How's the games for it? Is it worth upgrading over the current consoles? Had any problems from the reported overheating and crashing some units seems to be experiencing?

I've tried the demo version or the demo disk at the local Best Buy and I've kinda admit it's visually quite impressive... especially CALL OF DUTY 2, but I don't think it's anything you can't get with the original Xbox. Sure, the graphics are sharper and little clearer, but personally, I don't think it worth getting yet. I'll wait until the hype and price has die down before I fork over any money for one.

Though Microsoft has to take a major hit for overhyping and understocking this product because they were clearly rushing in releasing it before it was actually ready in order to beat out Sony's PS3 to the market. The fact that you only had only a few hundred thousand units for a world wide release strikes me as sheer greed or plain stupid. You can bet gamers will remember this and so will Sony. Let's hope Sony will avoid the same mistakes MS did when they will finally release the PS3.

draconis_sharp
Ensign
Ensign

Post by draconis_sharp » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:00 pm

Well, before you buy either console, I suggest you read up on them. Try searching on sites like Google. So far, I think the Playstation will be the overall better buy.

Majestic
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Majestic » Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:41 am

I personally will be getting the Xbox360, from the look of it Perfect Dark Zero, a launch title, it is going to show Halo 2 what for.

odyssey
Ensign
Ensign

Post by odyssey » Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:43 am

Seems to be most gamers are waiting it out for the PS3 instead... which I intend to buy as well.

A bit of Nintendo Revolution news... specs has been uncovered putting it far below that of it's rivals... according to the website REVOLUTION .IGN.COM It's purported to run at about 1 ghz and have low end of 128 mb ram max compare to the 512 of the other two. Storage capcity would doubled that of the current GC , but far short needed for Hi-Def gaming which seems to be the next big medium.

The good news in all of this low tech is that it will retail at a low price of $149.. . about half the price you would pay for a 360 or PS3 core system. It may go as low as $99. Nintendo intentions are not to compete with the 360 or PS3 through specs, but through savings and affordablity with the Revolution. The cheaper the product, the more gamers are willing to buy. Their focus will be on innovation (with the new intriguing game pad) and gameplay (good luck in trying to lure developers to a underpowered system). Whether this approach will work is dubious at best, but if only cost only $99... gotta add that to my check list. :P

Majestic
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Majestic » Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:15 am

odyssey wrote:Seems to be most gamers are waiting it out for the PS3 instead... which I intend to buy as well.

A bit of Nintendo Revolution news... specs has been uncovered putting it far below that of it's rivals... according to the website REVOLUTION .IGN.COM It's purported to run at about 1 ghz and have low end of 128 mb ram max compare to the 512 of the other two. Storage capcity would doubled that of the current GC , but far short needed for Hi-Def gaming which seems to be the next big medium.

The good news in all of this low tech is that it will retail at a low price of $149.. . about half the price you would pay for a 360 or PS3 core system. It may go as low as $99. Nintendo intentions are not to compete with the 360 or PS3 through specs, but through savings and affordablity with the Revolution. The cheaper the product, the more gamers are willing to buy. Their focus will be on innovation (with the new intriguing game pad) and gameplay (good luck in trying to lure developers to a underpowered system). Whether this approach will work is dubious at best, but if only cost only $99... gotta add that to my check list. :P
Well the 360 is a must for me. I have never been fond of the Playstations, it's a personally choice and I pefer the games on the Xbox, I also find the xbox controls more confortable than the Playstations.

I didn't know that Nintendo was bringing out another console. I thought there days were over when the released the Gamecube. If it comes out as low as you say and some some good quality games get released on it that arn't on the xbox then I may also buy the new nintendo console. Only time will tell I supose.

odyssey
Ensign
Ensign

Post by odyssey » Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:45 am

I don't know what games they plan to release with the NR, but you can bet on the usual suspects Mario.. Pokemon... Metriod... Zelda(?)

Unfortunately, all the big game developers will be focus on the big 2.

Have you seen the new PS3 controller? Boomerang in shape and design and very different. Remains to be seen how it feels and plays.

jolt
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jolt » Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:11 pm

Just a few random points for you here:
1) My friend showed me an auction on ebay for $810...for a box of an X-Box 360. DEFINITELY wait till the hype is up.

2) The PS3, regardless of what anybody says IS globally more powerful but in the two major categories - speed and graphics, the X360 has the better graphics (as proven) but Ps3 excels, literally, at the processor providing 7, yes, 7! of the new "cell" processor's.

3) The PS3 will be backwards compatible (like the X360) but also allows you to play PS1 games, so you truly can still play the relics. Obviously, older memory cards will be accepted and hopefully, old controllers because I can't beleive a boomerang WOULD be a good controller.

4) The E3 shots of the newest Zelda game prove it to have far from rubbish graphics. IT is yet to be seen which console it will be due out for, GC or REV. but, it will be worth it, that I can assure you at least.

5) The wait for the PS3 will be about another year, wherever you are in the world. If you're prepared to wait that long, kudo's to you. Me, well, the X360 doesn't do it for me so I'm waiting.

6) Games for the two consoles vary a lot. Whilst new X360 games are between $80 - $100 (roughly done, bearing in mind I'm trying to incluide the exchange rate, so they're between £40 and £50), the PS23 games are set to be no higher than £40 (about $80) meaning they'll be far more worth it, considering you'd be able to get 3 games for 2 X360 ones.

7) If you do want to own a REV, I suggest you don't tell your mates. Whilst it's not "ugly", it's hardly a piece of art. Then again, it's for gaming, not looking at.

Anything else, or is that it?
Engage!

"A2 Files Site Admin...darn proud of it too!"

Majestic
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Majestic » Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:57 pm

I used to be a Nintendo fan back with the N64, when I saw the Gamecube and it's focus on young kids, I decided it was a time to change consoles. At the time (still is) there were two upcoming consoles available, the PS2 and the Xbox. I took my time and researched both products, I wasn't a fan of the PS1, but I decided not to let that discourage me. I also wasn't a fan of Microsoft due to the Windows products that get more unreliable by version.

I found out that not only did the Xbox have the better system, but it also were going to be releasing games that I would pefer to play. Also games on both consoles here in Australia were exactly the same price. The games on the PS2 I would like to play were going to come out on both consoles so I decided on the Xbox.

Now the the new generation of consoles are upon us once again, I have done my research again. The 360 is due to come out in March over here while the PS3 won't be out till 2007. I also have had a look of the games coming out, being a N64 fan back in the days I can't let Joanna Dark and Perfect Dark Zero pass me by, or Halo 3 that will be coming out approx around the time that the PS3 will be coming out.

Also with allowing to play my old Xbox games on the console, means I don't loose any money with trading old games in etc.

It's my personal opinion that 95% of current xbox and PS2 gamers will be buying their consoles sucessor. In the end it is all about personal choice, and what games you pefer in the end. With Halo 3 coming out on the 360, it has gauranteed that all Halo fans will be sticking with Microsoft, the same can be said for games on the PS3 like the Final fantasy series etc.

CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Post by CaptSyf » Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:28 pm

Personally, I don't jump on any console bandwagon anymore. I learned my lessons with 2 of the most powerful consoles (at the time of their release), The TurboGrafx16, and later the Atair 64-bit Jaguar system (both were milestones in console capabilities). Thier downfall was lack of sales, and major lack of game support. Matter of fact, I am just now thinking of buying a PS2 (only because I bought my kids some games for it here a couple months ago). I think it's crazy to spend $300-$400 on a console, that is going to be replaced in 3 years, and lose it's game support. I have moved over to the PC gaming market (did that in 1996). With greater support, and multi-purpose use, a PC is the better way to go. Just think, for $400 (the current price of an X-Box 360), one can do a major upgrade on a PC. I would buy any of these consoles if, if they were under $150, and games were under $40. But at $400 plus $50+ for the newest releases, I'll stick with PCs.

Well, that's my 2 cents worth anyways.
The end of one Era is near... Star Trek Armada II - All Good Things...

Romulan_Fury
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Romulan_Fury » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:13 pm

I'm actually looking forward to the Revolution. Even though I'm 18 now, I've always preferred games like Mario Sunshine and Smash Bros. to games that are all about blood and guts. I can't wait to try out the new controller for the NR, plus it'll be backwards compatible with both Gamecube discs and memory cards, which is good bc I currently have a GC now. It will also allow you to download hundreds of previously released Nintendo games from as far back as the days of the NES. Talk about backwards compatible. I also happen to like the way the NR looks, but maybe that's just me...
´Tis more brave to live, than to die.

Majestic
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Majestic » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:35 pm

CaptSyf wrote:Personally, I don't jump on any console bandwagon anymore. I learned my lessons with 2 of the most powerful consoles (at the time of their release), The TurboGrafx16, and later the Atair 64-bit Jaguar system (both were milestones in console capabilities). Thier downfall was lack of sales, and major lack of game support. Matter of fact, I am just now thinking of buying a PS2 (only because I bought my kids some games for it here a couple months ago). I think it's crazy to spend $300-$400 on a console, that is going to be replaced in 3 years, and lose it's game support. I have moved over to the PC gaming market (did that in 1996). With greater support, and multi-purpose use, a PC is the better way to go. Just think, for $400 (the current price of an X-Box 360), one can do a major upgrade on a PC. I would buy any of these consoles if, if they were under $150, and games were under $40. But at $400 plus $50+ for the newest releases, I'll stick with PCs.

Well, that's my 2 cents worth anyways.
You do have some excellent points mate, and I do agree with pretty much all of them. But there is one thing why I pefer consoles over PCs.

That is the abaility to just plug them in and play. They don't get virus's like PC's, you don't have to install games then remove them when you don't have the space and at the end of the day consoles are a hell of a lot more relaible to the standard home pc.

Setiesh
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Setiesh » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:35 pm

I can tell u from direct contact with a 360 that is a complete Flop and will fail miserablly in the next few years, number 1 the xbox 360 cooling system is not suffient enough to cool the ever heating processor and it eventully crashes. Number 2 if u look ar ur 360 the wrong way when u are playing a game i guarentee the disk will end up loooking like a bad sand paper accident. Number 3 they are impossible to find and if by some chance do they are more expensive then standard computers including all the devices and such. The orignal xbox was better built and can handle more battle damaged then its diesed brother the 360 plus the orignal xbox can easly be modded pretty much into a PC which i have done that allows the unlocking of many features :twisted:

odyssey
Ensign
Ensign

Post by odyssey » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:17 am

Like I said, is it a surprise Microsoft like to put out defective products before they are ready? Even the original xbox had it's share of problems.

a few points...

1)the PS3, according to insiders (game developers) will be further tweaked to gain that ever slight technical advantage before it's released. How much? not known yet. It seems it was part of the plan to let the 360 take the first shot to assess the situation

2) Don't throw away that Xbox just yet after you purchased the 360. Not ALL Xbox games will be compatible. The 360 doesn't have the Xbox chipset (in order to keep the price down), it can only be played through the process of emulation meaning mimicing the xbox hardware You also need to invest in the hard drive as well because that is used to store the Xbox emulation code and the games will need to be tweaked for it. For those familiar with game emulation, it simply does not allow the playback of every original game for that system. Microsoft is therefore force to choose which game to work on. It's a given Halo will run on the 360 as well as it's most popular games. This take alot time and money, so the least popular ones will probably be left behind.

3) The Ninetndo Revolution will be backward compatible with not only Gamecube games, but you can also download games from their NES to the N64 library to play on their new system.

4) I agree with Majestic's opinion... plug and play. PC gaming may have advantages, but if there's one thing I hate about it is that not all PC games will run on all computers because of their different makeup. You either have the wrong chipset or it's not supported or not it's fast enough or insufficent ram and you eventually have to spent money to upgrade you machine which would probably end up costing more than a gaming console. Plus, there is a lack of diversity in pc gaming or you simply don't have the large variety as you would have in console gaming.

5)The Turbographix 16 was a cool system, but the lack of support and promotion from NEC in the states pretty much killed it. The Jaguar is porbably the most overrated 64(?) bit system in gaming history. Games ranged from bad to ugly or worst.

6) For Captsyf... why did you buy games for the PS2 games when you don't the PS2? Games discounted?It's like buying music cds when you don't have a cd player.

Setiesh
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Setiesh » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:45 pm

im Not try to be pesmisteic but i hear a lot of questions at work but the nex gen consoles that are coming out are not worth the money. xbox 360 = next coming of dreamcast for u dreamcast fans no offensive but it was a good system short lived and as for the ps3 it better well have a better looking controller then wat iseen christ it looks like a boomerang and as for the revolution this is the worst the revolution its controller is a friggin tv remote a controller can make or break a system its all about comfort when playing video games i dont wanna be holding dual tv remotes when playing games i wanna have sumtin that has a better feel i like the gamecube controller and the 360 controller but ps3 and revolution is a mockery of gaming. and as for the 360 it doesnt get of easy this thing is lazier then a spyware infected computer does wat it wants when it wants and even like its pc cousin is susteable to trojans and spyware wat the hell guys i dont wanna a system that can infested like a pc i wanna a system with mass userability not more security but this is coming from a xbox hacking/modding backround so basically the 360.revolution and ps3 arent worth the money or time but everyone is welcome to there own opinons and i respect that im just here stating the facts about these new consoles PSP RULES FOR LIFE haha yeah i like psp

jolt
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jolt » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:42 pm

On the latest data obtained from Nintendo, they seriously could be a good competitor, for numerous reasons:

1) As previously noted, they're emulation idea is magnificent, that would pull me, the thoughts of playing Super Mario Bros. 3 on a console again would just be devine. N64 games as well, well, that's tremendous, think about it, Zelda: Ocarina of Time...wow!

2) Their controllers are sophisticated beyond belief. Forget about turning the console on and off from the controller, that's NOTHING compared to the nintendo controllers. Yes, they're like TV controller's, but there's a perfectly sound rationale behind that - They're motion senstitive! Yes! No more D pad required (well, not for some of the games), you can do it all by the movement of your wrist! Why is this particularly amazing? Say you need to jump up in the air as Mario to take flight, or maybe you're being hounded by missiles in a fighter and need to do a loop, a simple wrist movement does the job.

3) Good multiplayer, as ever. 4 players at minimum, something to come of standard via Nintendo.

4) Branching out. These new games, whilst still aimed at the "younger audiences", will involve more "adult-orientated" games, with likes of GTA as a possibility. We've seen this before though, especially with the "Twin Snakes" revise of MGS1 for the GC.

5) No doubt, it will be the cheapest of the three, the games too.

I'm gonna have to think hard, this console really has got a good chance of doing something. A serious competitor in deed.
Engage!

"A2 Files Site Admin...darn proud of it too!"