Modding: Secondary Shields

The best Modding forum in the Armada community, some of the best modders come here.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

Josh
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Modding: Secondary Shields

Post by Josh » Sat May 22, 2004 2:03 pm

Modding question:

I hope this doesn't sound too stupid, but can a ship be made to have secondary shields along with its normal standard primary shielding system? I tried making it so that a ship could build a shield, but that only created an error that crashed the game, even with changing the class labels and toggled settings (like planet=1, ship=1, etc). I'm doing this so that the Reman Scimitar I'm using can have both primary and secondary shields.
Another thing: the corbomite reflector sort of simulates this, except in a different way. I know that I can restore a ship's special energy by using a special weapon that has a line that says, "specialEnergyCost = -100". Is there a line that can be added like "shieldCost" or something similar to that? That would make it so that when the shields collapse, the ship could engage a special weapon that brings the secondary shields online (not shield regeneration like the sphere, but something that could make the ship act like it has secondary shields). Also, the ship would have to be able to do this only once - if the secondary shields were exhausted, then the hull would be hit, unless the primary shields regenerate. I don't think it's possible to do this the way I'm thinking, but who knows? :)

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Sat May 22, 2004 6:49 pm

have the shield remodulation weapon target self and automatically activate once your vessel scans an enemy target on. The shield remodulation would then act as primary shields till you ran out of special weaponry then the standard armada shields would activate.

It works the same for Future Tense's Sovereign, as it has skin shielding like on Nemesis and Armada Shielding like in First Contact

Ad'

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Sun May 23, 2004 2:26 am

hmmmmm... that sounds pretty cool - I'm gonna try that. Also, the skin shields on Future Tense sounds pretty awesome. Thanks! :D

Josh
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Josh » Sun May 23, 2004 2:29 am

Sounds neat! I tried this idea and had the remod autotarget my ship and that worked pretty well. Thank you very much! I see that there are more people than just me that thought of this idea. That's cool!

score1_uk
Ensign
Ensign

Post by score1_uk » Sun May 23, 2004 3:03 am

mint. Could some1 please post a copy of there scimitar odf with the secondary shield mods, and also, how was the skin shields done in future tense??

Also, if u setup the shields like that, would the shield remodulation weapon weaken with each hit, or only go down when u run out of special energy?

Josh
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Josh » Sun May 23, 2004 4:45 am

The shield remod is based on time - that means that it's not dependant on the amount of special energy but instead is dependant on time only. Though there may be a way for special energy to be channeled into creating the shield remod field. I'm going to go ahead and try that! :P

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Sun May 23, 2004 4:51 am

That would be interesting - have the shield remodulation weapon work on special energy instead of having it be time-based. Of course, this weapon would not depend on the amount of fire power that hit it but just the special energy remaining.
Also, for the setup of the shield remodulation weapon - this weapon normally depends totally on time - it's a special line in the odf file of the weapon. Instead of having it be time-dependant, it could depend on special energy.

score1_uk
Ensign
Ensign

Post by score1_uk » Thu May 27, 2004 6:56 pm

I tryed that and the game crashed, D'oh...

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Fri May 28, 2004 5:59 am

me 2! :P

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Fri May 28, 2004 9:19 am

There is a weapon on AFC that automatically engages a "safety shield" you may wanna look at it - at least I think I saw it on AFC

It is A2 format but since the Remod is on A1 there isnt any problem other than perhaps playing with the energy amounts n what not

ad'