EAS_Intrepid's B5 ships............WARNING: IMAGE HEAVY

The best Modding forum in the Armada community, some of the best modders come here.

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

EAS_Intrepid
Ensign
Ensign

Post by EAS_Intrepid » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:48 am

I have to say, yes, my first B5 meshes had a lot of uneccessary polies and the newer ones won't have that high polie count. I will see, how I can further reduce the polies.
However, any help is appreciated.

For the thirdspace ships, I do not know if I can do them. I use MS3D and such meshes are fairly complex to build with this program. Also I doubt, that my skills are SO advanced to build that. (I do not speak of the poliecount right now...)

I may release some Narn ships, but until the 3rd space comes out it takes A LONG WHILE.

Fighters, maybe. I already posted an assault craft.
Fighting member of the Four Star Alliance!
It has begun...

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:06 am

Here you go. I've highlighted a few sections. Basically its just a matter of using a lower amount of segments within the cylinders your using. Nothing more, nothing less. With all cylinders you can set it to 1 stack and 8-12 slices. You'll probably find that just by doing that to all the canons on your nova the poly count will be halved or dropped even further.

EAS_Intrepid
Ensign
Ensign

Post by EAS_Intrepid » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:13 am

Yeah, I recognized that, too, when building the next ships. Thank you for the advice.
It has begun...

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:28 am

Tis no problem. I learnt this the hard way myself, and spheres are even worse in soem case. Just remember to remove any polys you don't see during your models construction.

Atlantis
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Atlantis » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:48 pm

iI've also been looking at mine pretty closely, turns out my 3ds max had been giving me inaccurate readings. EA ships are hard to do low-poly, as the cannons themselves take up loads. But you should be able to drop it to 3000 and it still look good (i've just finished redoing mine, at 2650, so it can be done) :-)

You know where i am if you want any help ;-)

rodglas
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by rodglas » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:50 pm

At the scales we're talking about for Armada a cylinder need have no more then 8 to 10 sides and if its straight then only 1 slice is needed.

Its a difference of 216 polies for an unaltered cylinder in Max5 and 32 polies for and 8sidesx1slice cylinder also in Max5.

Doing this sort of thing alone could reduce the model by literally thousands of polies.

I been learning this little principle myself in the SQA mod and I've manged to reduce several ships that were in excess of 5000polies to below 1000.

So i would encourage you to give it a try and re-release the ship pack.

Rod.

Atlantis
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Atlantis » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:12 pm

Agreed. You'd be amazed how many polys you can save by cutting some here and there, especially on sections which are repeated a lot (which is why it's extremely important to cut down on the guns polys).

Plus, if you get the polycount down, you can afford to put in extra detail where it's needed..... *cough* main hull *cough* :-)

And for the two protrusions from the front of the hammer (just above the front antenna), you seem to have made them from two 12-sided cylinders and a box, each. If you learned how to edit the geometry of the shapes, you'd be able to make them with a single 10-sided (or even 6-sided) cylinder.

Then again, i don't know how good Milkshape is for such things.... ;-)

EAS_Intrepid
Ensign
Ensign

Post by EAS_Intrepid » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:37 am

Okay. I will see, what I can do...

You may need to regard, that these were my first meshes released and so far I did not had the experience that I have now.
It has begun...

rodglas
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by rodglas » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:03 am

No worries man, we are here for constructive and helpful critism. I've only released one model and is not near as good as your B5 ships.

Poly counts are a killer for games like Armada, while some computers can handle several ships with high polies, it will most often chunk up the game.

As a rule of thumb try to remember this, for your big ships try not to go above 2000 polies. This isn't hard and and fast, some times you just have to go bigger but your best bet is to keep it around here.

EAS_Intrepid
Ensign
Ensign

Post by EAS_Intrepid » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:29 am

2000?
Oh, am. Currently I am building the Endurance Hyperion. I deleted all unnecessary polies I found an it is still at 4600!
It is hard to do so, because EA ships have lots of cannons and so on.
Hm, I have to see what I can do.
try this:
It has begun...

rodglas
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by rodglas » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:47 am

A Hyperion is a ship you would in most cases want to have a lower poly count. Certainly 4000 is better then 11000 or 12000 and if you can get it lower then i would certainly try.

Remember its a rule of thumb, and you have to be comfortable with what your putting out in the end. If you cut all the polies you think you can and your model still looks the way you want it to but breaks the 2000 rule thats fine.

To be fair though if your models run high in the poly count it might be a good idea to leave a warning in the readme file.

I'm not sure how Milkshape works (that is what your using isn't it?) but in max I've discovered a way of poly reducing I never though of before.

The first thing I did was attached all the different objects into one mesh, than I individually detached any objects that had a lot of buried polies (ie objects that are partly covered over by other objects.

Then I was able to individually select the polies on the detached object I didn't want and delete them with no effect on the appearnce of the mesh but with significant results on the poly count.

If you can figure out something like that in your program you can save yourself a lot of polies.

Rod.

EAS_Intrepid
Ensign
Ensign

Post by EAS_Intrepid » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:10 am

We'll might see that in the EAS Enforcer storyline:

Earthforce INTELDIV. Nova with a mass driver and an electronic warfare antenna.

Poliecount reduction delayed until the beginning of 2006.
It has begun...

Atlantis
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Atlantis » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:46 pm

EAS_Intrepid wrote:Nova with a mass driver and an electronic warfare antenna..
Which of these things is the scaffold kajigger on the side?

And either way, where is the other one of those things?

EAS_Intrepid
Ensign
Ensign

Post by EAS_Intrepid » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:30 am

The thingy on the side is the mass driver.
On the other side is the antenna.

Both are Betas right now. I'M sorry for the textures, they should look like the ones from the EAS Enforcer Nova from the pack. (just with blue lines and the Name "Hoover")

Any better ideas for a mass driver?
It has begun...

rodglas
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by rodglas » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:35 am

The Centauri MD had two scaffold-amjiggers which must be assumed to be accelerators for the projectile asteroids. I'd suggest also adding a second, and stacking them vertically.

Or you could remove the top weapons and attach the scaffolds to those struts. Even the Centauri Had to remove the lower Ion Cannons to mount there MD.

Rod