light map and bump map

The best Modding forum in the Armada community, some of the best modders come here.

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

jnddepew
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

light map and bump map

Post by jnddepew » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:03 pm

does armada1 support bumpmaps and light maps?

if it supports lightmaps, i'm having a problem.
i follow the tutorial in westworld's big book of modding and it seems fine, but it doesn't work and when i open the file back up, the alpha channel is gone! weird. i think it may be because the .tga format doesn't support the alpha channel, but it should shouldn't it? help please!

CptBenSisko
Ensign
Ensign

Post by CptBenSisko » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:35 pm

firstly what program are you using for your textures? if ur using Photoshop you need to get the correct plugin for TGA files..and secondly if ur using A1 you don't need lightmaps, as A1 doesn't support them
Captain Benjamin Sisko of the U.S.S. Defiant

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:28 am

CptBenSisko wrote:firstly what program are you using for your textures? if ur using Photoshop you need to get the correct plugin for TGA files..and secondly if ur using A1 you don't need lightmaps, as A1 doesn't support them
A1 supports lightmaps as every FT unit has them - see example of the refit intrepid:

It can be achieved via Milkshape and 3DS Max using alpha channels and texture settings on the SOD file. I do not know how to do it in 3DS but if you have Milkshape I can guide you through doing it if you wish.

Ad'

jnddepew
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by jnddepew » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:58 pm

I have milkshape so if you could, it would be greatly appreciated.
P.S. that ship looks cool.

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:03 am

To do this:

Duplicate the texture but erase everything that has no light.
By this I mean have your normal texture and a texture for the lights. The light texture would have things like: Nacelles, Windows, Bussards, etc, etc

This one needs to be an alpha texture (You need to have the light areas on an alpha channel)

In Milkshape, highlight the ship where the light is. IE highlight the nacelle, faces on the saucer with lights or a deflector array. What you need to do, is duplicate the faces and move them ever so slightly so that they over lap on the original.

Next, assign the texture as you would normally. You'll find that because the faces are duplicated they match exactly where the points are on the alpha map. Now you may notice 4 buttons in the materials menu, I think its embross, emisive or something - I dont have it open atm. What you want to do is have all those set to white. It will flood the alpha map with a white light making it brighter than the model. All you then do is assign the texture to the duplicate faces and export your model after noding it up (refer to MaP tutorial on exporting SODS).

Open Storm3D or Armada after adding and it should look like that intrepid :)

Ad'

jnddepew
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by jnddepew » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:55 pm

hmm... when you say "erase everything that has no light, does that mean make it black? does it mean make it transparent?

because when i make it black, it's just black on the ship, and when i make it transparent and save it as a tga, it becomes white.

thanks for the help.

jnddepew
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by jnddepew » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:43 pm

wait, you said "noding it" does that just mean making another hardpoint "m_lightmap" or do you have to do something special so it will become transparent?

icewolf132
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by icewolf132 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:49 am

Ooooh, I see what he's talking about. First off you need to make a copy of the texture file you're using and apply an alpha layer, and I think this right here will be a big help to you in doing that.

What he's telling you to do in a nut shell is to make an copy of the texture(s) your model uses, duplicate the mesh, delete parts of the mesh where NONE of the lights/ect. are, apply the new texture to the new mesh with the emisive and ambient set on white, assign a mesh node to it, and export it.
Star Trekkin' across the universe, because I STILL can't find reverse!

Usage Permission; All are free to use and edit my work in any way they see fit, so long as credit is given where it is due.

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:57 pm

Good....GOOOOD...GOOD! Very good!
Happy trails to you...except without the "till we meet again" part...

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:28 am

icewolf132 wrote:Ooooh, I see what he's talking about. First off you need to make a copy of the texture file you're using and apply an alpha layer, and I think this right here will be a big help to you in doing that.

What he's telling you to do in a nut shell is to make an copy of the texture(s) your model uses, duplicate the mesh, delete parts of the mesh where NONE of the lights/ect. are, apply the new texture to the new mesh with the emisive and ambient set on white, assign a mesh node to it, and export it.
You need to make sure that all 4 of those are set to white (There are 4 options Milkshape will give you, cant remember what they all are at the moment) then export.

Ad'

jnddepew
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by jnddepew » Fri May 18, 2007 10:08 pm

hey phantom. I'm confused. am i supposed to save the light map as an alpha channel on the texture file, or am I supposed to save it as a seperate texture file and apply it later?

jnddepew
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by jnddepew » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:50 pm

okay. what am i doing wrong?

I have the texture for my ship. i copy that texture and make it black, then fill in all the places i want to be lit up. then i save this black and white picture
i go into milkshape and load the normal texture for the first texture slot and the black and white texture for the second texture slot. and i export it and save it and it still doesn't work.
what am i doing wrong? thanks

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:32 am

Why is it black and white?

Have you created the nodes for it? (EG: m_lmap1)

Ad'

jnddepew
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by jnddepew » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:34 pm

hmm. is the not lit up stuff supposed to be black? if you try to save it as transparent, then it just becomes white.