Show off your mod

Our General Discussion Forum. This is the main forum of AFC, and is used for talking about just about anything you like ... Please, do not advertise, 'spam' or 'flame' in this forum.

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

USS_Oblivion
Ensign
Ensign

Post by USS_Oblivion » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:28 pm

neat. :P

USS_Oblivion
Ensign
Ensign

Post by USS_Oblivion » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:52 pm

very nice, but you might wanna make the sentilals smaller, considering the actual size a sentinal would be, just make it so we can still see them, and were good.

EDIT: Also, why not make halo build the weapon, make it stationary, and use the romulan superweapon, just make either halos shields nice and strong, or make it immune to its effects.

USS_Oblivion
Ensign
Ensign

Post by USS_Oblivion » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:48 pm

switch the visual effect for the sensor jammer for the phycinic effect, then set the phyonic effect to kill ALL people

doci7
Ensign
Ensign

Post by doci7 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:15 am

Oh, it was a Halo! That explains why I wasn't sure I recognized it (I've never played Halo).

Zman
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Zman » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:15 pm

My Games:
NR2K3(750+ tracks;5000+ cars)
ST:BC(latest KM-custom) ST:Legacy(custom)
ST:Armada(custom) ST:Armada2(custom)
ST:FO(latest version)
SW:EAW(custom) SW:FOC(custom)
TF2: Name - 086gf

hms_custody
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

ok

Post by hms_custody » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:50 pm

ok is that some kind of duplicate mirror scene or more ships n stationbin built to be placed like that.

Zman
Ensign
Ensign

Re: ok

Post by Zman » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:21 pm

hms_custody wrote:ok is that some kind of duplicate mirror scene or more ships n stationbin built to be placed like that.
1)These were done in the map editor.

2)All Duplicate ships are unique from each other(the only new ships are the tri-cobalt varients of bcruise2 and kcruise2 and the normal cruiser varients of the fcruise2 and rcruise2).

3)I honestly don't know how you are seeing more than one of each station per shot.
My Games:
NR2K3(750+ tracks;5000+ cars)
ST:BC(latest KM-custom) ST:Legacy(custom)
ST:Armada(custom) ST:Armada2(custom)
ST:FO(latest version)
SW:EAW(custom) SW:FOC(custom)
TF2: Name - 086gf

SquireJames
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by SquireJames » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:57 pm

Cliff
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

KA for A2

Post by Cliff » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:44 am

Hey squire, nice to see you back. How about fixing you're download on your site and removing the virus from the download for KA2. My anti-virus keeps popping up this,( not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.EShoper.ba ). It's enough of a problem that my anti-virus lists it under a medium threat level and won't finish downloading it then deletes it.

SquireJames
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by SquireJames » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:38 am

Hmm, seems some adware got in there or something. However, its probably due to the shareware installer. As it correctly says, its not a virus, just adware, and easily removable. I don't usually reccomend turning off anti-viruses, but whats more inconvienient? Turning off your antivirus for a while until its finished downloading and installing (as there is no virus as i've pointed out) or me trying to upload a file of that size again and probably not fix it anyway?

Cliff
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Adware Is A Virus/Spyware

Post by Cliff » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:17 pm

Wow Squire, How irresponsible of you. Adware is a virus/spyware no matter how you spin it and to tell me to turn off my anti-virus software so I can download it. I don't know how you could say what's more of an inconvenience, me turning off my anti-virus and installing the mod then running my anti-virus when it's installed or your reupping the file on your site. Talk about being presumptuous. You have no Idea how big my hard drives are do you, I can guaranty it would be quicker for you than I, I've got 1) 500 gig primary hard drive and 5) 1 terabyte hard drives (and if you thinks that's alot you should see my primary computer, it's even larger, I build my own computers, thank God for Fryes Electronics). It takes me almost an entire day (that's 24 hours) for it to run the anti-virus to check for anything plus the time it takes to download the mod, it would take you what 2 or 3 hours to reupload it.
Also let's not forget that you now know of this and obviously don't care how many other peoples systems get infected because of it. This is a real shame because it looks like a really good mod and I would love to download it but it's not worth the risk to my system. When you decide to do the responsible thing and fix the download let me know and I'll be the first to download it. Until then I don't think so and others should take warning.

USS_Oblivion
Ensign
Ensign

Post by USS_Oblivion » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:03 am

woah dude, take it easy, you came off really harsh. :(

squire, i do think that you should try to remove the adware from your upload, it would be more convient for people, so please :) (and as a side note, uploading the MOD again wouldn't be more inconvient to us than ALL of us having to try to remove the adware)

SquireJames
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by SquireJames » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:26 pm

Firstly, there is no garuntee there is even Adware in there. Ever heard of "False Positives"? Because the installer has code in it that changes elements of the registry, it can occasionally be picked up as Adware or viruses (even trojans or worms) when it isn't. So, get off your high horse and come down to earth for a second.

Secondly, no-one else has complained of any Adware in my file, myself included, and COMODO is considered a trustworthy company for antivirus and firewalls. The file is hosted by Hailing Frequency, run by Zach Nicodemous. He has also downloaded and run KA2, and he has never reported any issue with adware and such. Would he allow hosting of a file that he even suspected of having adware in? Further more, I have regular communication with 6 or 7 users of KA2 and no-one has reported any adware or even alerts of any kind. What does this tell you? Do we ALL have bad virus checkers? Remember that many games companies reccomend that you turn off your antivirus when installing, as it can both slow the install and report false positives when installing. If professional games companies reccomend this, I hardly think I am massively irresponsible for doing so.

I am probably not far off when I say that its your AV detecting a false positive rather than my installer, but rather than be a naysayer I tried to bridge the middle ground and say that it might be the installer that hasd some form of adware, since it is the clickteam shareware/freeware installer. Clearly trying to be open minded didn't work, and insults do tend to make me more hardnosed, hence here I am being hardnosed rather than my usual accepting self.

Just did a virus check on said file with COMODO. No virus found, zip, nada.

So, you have a choice. The safety of your computer is your concern. As the readme says, I am not responsible for anything that happens to your computer or copy of A2 while using my mod. If you really think I would release virus laden software, well then don't download it, your choice. But if you actually want to play KA2, well sorry but I won't upload a file (which btw, with the repacking process required, the process required if there really is adware like you claim), it would take close to 4 hours to reupload everything, and the current download would be offline while doing so. A great inconvienience that, if I should turn out to be correct, would make exactly zero difference, as your virus checker would still report adware due to the installer used.

So, to recap.

:- I'm 99% sure there is nothing suspicious in there
:- Noone else other than you cliff have reported any adware or virus alerts
:- Its hosted by a website that has a big reputation in the gaming community, and the admin himself has played KA2. He detected no adware or viruses either
:- Even if I did what you request, probably wouldn't fix anything

Hence not a reasonable use of my time and resources.

USS_Oblivion
Ensign
Ensign

Post by USS_Oblivion » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:49 am

ok, well no one else has reported any spyware or addware, (GASP) could this be the first time?

SquireJames
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by SquireJames » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:01 am

If it were, pray tell why would he me magically able to detect it when no-one else, myself included, has?

I've done a little research, and a gentleman who made a patch for Soldier of Fortune I believe reported on Xfire that out of 20 or so AV programs, one detected a false positive of the same adware that Cliff claims is in KA2. As mentioned, its a False Positive caused by the registry altering part of the installer (i.e it adds an entry, as does any installer, however some trigger it, some do not, hence why mainstream game companies also tell you to disable AV software when installing new software)

Ultimately it all rests on Cliffs shoulders though. As I said before, if he thinks its genuine adware then he is free not to download or run it. If he thinks as I do that its a false positive, he is free to make whatever changes he wants to be able to run it. I am not responsible for what happens to his computer based on his decision. I believe every mod ever made has that disclaimer, and KA2 is no exception.

Bottom Line: I personally believe that its a false positive based on my testing and research. Therefore, reuploading would not help as Cliffs program would still report the same issue. It is therefore not a worthwhile use of my time, especially with a new release forthcoming.

Anyway, admin please split off relevant posts, this thread was for showcasing screenshots not bickering over fictional adware. Back ontopic if we could gentleman!