Why do you visit armadafleetcommand

Our General Discussion Forum. This is the main forum of AFC, and is used for talking about just about anything you like ... Please, do not advertise, 'spam' or 'flame' in this forum.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Why do you visit armadafleetcommand

Post by thunderchero » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:19 am

Hi Everyone,

Our founder AFC has gone MIA like many of our long time members, and I guess the support of the server has fallen in to my hands now. While for a long time I have had control of day to day activities, but let's face it, here lately the site has not been very active.

I have made many friends here over the years, but have also lost track of more than I can count. Many have taught me things and other have inspired me to do better.

So I ask all of you still out there, Why do you visit armadafleetcommand?

thunderchero

shadow
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Re: Why should AFC remain online?

Post by shadow » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:50 pm

Hi thunderchero just a few thoughts of mine.

Even though that the site is not that active anymore it is still a good source of information and therefore has still its value.

I am still modding Armada 2, mostly just for my own pleasure nowadays, but doing so for years I still have to look up some information hidden in the depths of the forums occasionally.
I still can find workarounds and solutions for some of my problems, or at least some hints.

So for me the site has its value as a handbook. I think this is the case for others also.

Also I use it as a source of inspiration, looking at the creations of others can give you some new ideas and let your fantasy fly.

So yes he site has still reason for being there.

I am also playing BOTF, and thankful for the existence of this site as I could read on how to get it to run on my new machine. Guess this is the case for others also.

I also could get / find BOTF mods which I find highly interesting.

So it would be great to keep it alive.

Greetings shadow

limon36
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by limon36 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:07 pm

Search/User registration/comments are currently disabled - http://armadafiles.com/ which was the old filefront. Other site http://gamewatcher.com never changes for it mods (no new mods), so there is no point for that site. I still mod Armada 2 even if my game crashes on new games, missions. So I am playing the same game over and over, but with new mods! Your site has the search.

napseeker
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by napseeker » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:53 am

Well after years of not playing Armada, I just only recently realized that Armada2 actually works on modern computers (while beloved Armada1 is just too much of a pain to get workarounds for running it) and that has rekindled my interest in modding for it. I've actually been spending a lot of time recently just modding away and realizing how much A2 can be transformed into the idealized Armada1 game that I always wanted... and I've come back to this site to obviously ask questions). I would hate to see it go away since I do search the forums for answers to my modding questions.

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:39 am

Thunder. Whilst I don't post much at all, I do still visit at least once a day. Perhaps instead of closing the site down maybe a redesign to incorporate other games etc.etc. I've noticed almost all the mods sub forums have become somewhat worse than a ghost town. Not really sure what else to suggest.

thunderchero

Post by thunderchero » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:37 pm

this question was asked on both armada and BOTF. and this post was never about closing the site. but in the future, changes may need to be made to reduce costs.

while here at armada members expressed concerns about losing important data and download files were secondary concern since there are some other sites related to Armada. But on BOTF side files and data was main concern since it has no other sites related to BOTF.

thunderchero

MrVulcan

Post by MrVulcan » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:57 pm

Agree with MajorPayne. Most people aren't even aware of Armada at this point. But diversify into what? "Legacy" Star Trek gaming might work. These things need serious effort to drive traffic and succeed (social media, youtube presence, etc).

As for reducing costs... perhaps a lower-tier plan from current or other hosts is more sensible, seeing as there is so little traffic. To keep the forum snappy, it can be hosted separately.

I think a part of me is still waiting for the next big Armada style game that'll bring back folks to this old place. So, while the actual data and files here are becoming less valuable as time goes on, the address remains important for that time when folks try to reconnect with each other.

Hellkite
Captain
Captain
Location: In a Valkrye-starfighter bringing hell to the enemies of the USS Midway because hell just wont wait

Post by Hellkite » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:47 pm

I can offer help and alternative

As the the Admin of MSFC as well as its chief financial backer.

1. I would welcome you to host both your Armada and BOFT Files on MSFC. as to reducing your costs of operation here

2. I \ we could archive all resource posts here in a sub forum on MSFC "if need be "

I place this on the table as someone who has spent a good deal of time at this site and respect it's legacy members and staff

Lynx677
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Lynx677 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:26 pm

Because there are many of us who are still playing the game and who are interested in all aspects of the game plus possible updates and new mods.

Coracle
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Coracle » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:15 pm

Because the site is a "home" to return to and the web and the world would be poorer without it.
Hey this is Coracle_RSA_9 calling now and then. :)

mighty_dragon
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by mighty_dragon » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:27 pm

Hey all, I'd echo Coracle's comments.
I check back now and then when the mood takes me to just check out the latest mods, and part of me always hopes some legendary person has produced a game/mod that breathes new life into this currently dark hole in my game collection.

thunderchero

Re: Why do you visit armadafleetcommand

Post by thunderchero » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:54 pm

Hi Everyone,

I updated the topic title so there would be less confusion.

thunderchero

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:10 pm

I don't often find myself playing Armada 1 or 2. I'd say, in total, I've probably played about 2 hours of Armada in the last three years, and that was when I was playing around with Fleet Ops a bit. I'll admit that coming back to this site is more of a nostalgia trip to me than anything else. My most active years in modding was from 2002 to 2005, with a little in 2006. Naturally, those were the times when I did my most active posting here.

And yeah, part of why I check back here is to see what's new, whether or not there's some new mod that's blowing faces apart, all that stuff. But mostly, it's a nostalgia trip. This is the only site that I frequented back in the day that's still around today. Filefront is gone, and even in the last several years when it wasn't gone, I wasn't active there anyway.

Some of the people still posting here I recognize, but many of the individuals who used to frequent this site, like cecilzero1, Porty, Majestic, CaptSyf, Westworld, blindeye01, they're long gone, although I still see Hellkite here every now and then. However, I do see some of the above on Majestic's site or the Fleet Ops site. But I still find myself visiting this place more than any other Armada community site.

Life has changed a great deal for me since the mid-2000s, so it's kinda nice to come back to a place like this where I can look up threads that originated during a bygone era. It's kinda strange, reading through old posts you made like 10, 11, 12, 13 years ago, and saying to myself "ermagard, I posted that?" I'll be checking back here from time to time for as long as I can.
Dead

icewolf132
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by icewolf132 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:08 pm

I still come here every now and then to see what people are up to and to see what you all have done with the game. While Armada and Armada 2 are dated games, with some pretty pain in the arse limitations, modders have done Amazing work with it, some mods literally making it into a whole new game. I don't think there will ever be a day where I will go "Well, no reason to come back here, let's delete that bookmark" because I have a lot of fond memories of AFC.

Star Trek Armada was the PC first game I owned, and when I found out that you could change things in it, it became the first game I modded. Then I found AFC, the forum I joined, and here I made some good friends and learned so much from them and the community. It started an itch to dig into Armada and other games to see how exactly they work, and how they were developed. It also scarred me in a funny way, because now when I play games I see things in a different light, instead of seeing characters or ships, I see models, bump maps, parallax maps, and constant curiosity of "Oh hey, that's cool, I wonder how they pulled that effect/system off".

I still tinker around with Armada every now and then, I'd almost call it and addiction :P but I haven't released anything in a while, because let's be honest...even at my best I wasn't all that good. I came a long way from making flying plates with toilet rolls painted in MSPaint, but even the best I put out was like a a piece of chalk compared to marble. But you know what, that's ok. The best modders and modelers out there didn't crank out top tier work on day 1, they learned. They took chances, made mistakes, and refined their skills. One day I'll release something for Armada again, but I will make sure it's well polished, and up to snuff.

The TL,DR; I visit AFC because even after all these years, the site still has a warm place in my heart. And I wouldn't be who I am without it.
Star Trekkin' across the universe, because I STILL can't find reverse!

Usage Permission; All are free to use and edit my work in any way they see fit, so long as credit is given where it is due.

Captain Rand
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Captain Rand » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:58 pm

I'm just returning to playing (and hopefully modding) Armada II after an absence of nearly Nine years! So I'm here basically here to play catch-up (to begin with), then I'll need hints, tips and advice so I hope to carry on as a regular visitor. I'll want to stay abreast of the latest news too!

I'm really happy that the game is still being played and has maintained interest after all these years, and saddened for the sites that have been lost.

Pete.