Star Trek: Defense Line (Developing a new ST RTS game)

Talk here about any Star Trek Game you play.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

u.s.s.sovereign
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Re: Star Trek: Defense Line (Developing a new ST RTS game)

Post by u.s.s.sovereign » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:21 am

Some news. We added subsystems to ships and stations (they are 8). The ship control panel is rebuilt too. We improved physics and building system. Now player is able to cancel station construction (and get back the resources) and not able to build a new station inside another one (location selection hologram changes colour to red). Torpedoes are able to miss the target at last.

napseeker
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by napseeker » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:43 am

I've not been on AFC for a long time, but I saw this thread last night and was excited to see someone is trying to recreate Armada using the Unity3d engine. I downloaded the demo and have some feedback to offer:

- when I played in 800x600 resolution I noticed that some of the GUI buttons/icons are truncated by the panel borders, they are too big to fit inside the panel and some seem to get cut off... I am guessing the demo is meant to be played at a higher resolution so that all of the buttons can be seen. Not sure, but I wanted to point this out in case it is a bug.

- are the stars supposed to be constantly moving? I was confused at first because the stars normally only move in A1 if I scroll the camera and then stop moving once the camera also stops (parallax effect) but in the demo, they are always flowing, which gave me the illusion that the ships are always flying somewhere. I hope this is just a temporary test of the star scrolling because the constant star movement can be distracting.

- the lighting is VERY dark on my computer, I could barely see the ships, even when I zoomed in more closely. I didn't even realize there was, I think, a construction ship in the initial fleet until I accidentally selected it.

- the pathing behavior and the warp effect are very good, it felt very close to Armada1 and 2!

This is a very cool demo and has a lot of promise. I hope it will actually be possible to mod the game eventually so that DL can be used as a platform for modders to expand the game and hopefully make some of the "dream mods" that people wanted to make for A1 (and maybe even A2) that just weren't possible. Well done!

u.s.s.sovereign
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by u.s.s.sovereign » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:12 am

napseeker wrote:I've not been on AFC for a long time, but I saw this thread last night and was excited to see someone is trying to recreate Armada using the Unity3d engine. I downloaded the demo and have some feedback to offer:

- when I played in 800x600 resolution I noticed that some of the GUI buttons/icons are truncated by the panel borders, they are too big to fit inside the panel and some seem to get cut off... I am guessing the demo is meant to be played at a higher resolution so that all of the buttons can be seen. Not sure, but I wanted to point this out in case it is a bug.

- are the stars supposed to be constantly moving? I was confused at first because the stars normally only move in A1 if I scroll the camera and then stop moving once the camera also stops (parallax effect) but in the demo, they are always flowing, which gave me the illusion that the ships are always flying somewhere. I hope this is just a temporary test of the star scrolling because the constant star movement can be distracting.

- the lighting is VERY dark on my computer, I could barely see the ships, even when I zoomed in more closely. I didn't even realize there was, I think, a construction ship in the initial fleet until I accidentally selected it.

- the pathing behavior and the warp effect are very good, it felt very close to Armada1 and 2!

This is a very cool demo and has a lot of promise. I hope it will actually be possible to mod the game eventually so that DL can be used as a platform for modders to expand the game and hopefully make some of the "dream mods" that people wanted to make for A1 (and maybe even A2) that just weren't possible. Well done!
Good day, Napseeker! Thank you for your feedback. I'll try to comment your tips. Defence Line is not just a recreation of Armada, but a successor of it. We plan a plenty of stuff that lack in Armada series.

- The resolution issue is a problem we're working on. Now the game support only 1920X1080 resolution correctly. The menu and buttons "bug" is the part of this issue. Just be patient, and we will solve it.
- Flying dots are not stars in fact. It's dust, flying around the star in the centre of map. In Defence Line map objects will be in a constant movement. Planets, asteroids, comets and other astronomical units will act like in real star system. Player's stations will be built attached to planet orbits. We have a lot of questions in conception of such "living space", but everything will be solved.
- The lighting depends on star light intensity and its position.
- The pathing is under construction yet.

Hope you enjoyed our demo. We're working on the next one. When the development phase is completed you will be able to play it.

u.s.s.sovereign
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by u.s.s.sovereign » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:38 am

New Update!

These are two screenshots with sovereign class starship. We have added individual names to ships (like in Armada series). We also stabilized the resource collection system (all the bugs we could find were solved).

Assimilated Sovereign... What do you think of it? By the way, Borg assimilation textures are added to the models randomly. So if you assimilate two vessels of the same class, you would be able to recognize each of them, as they are different.

The MSD (Multi-System Display) menu is totally remade. Player can see all the information of the selected ship in one menu.

NEEDED: we still really need someone who could create station building animations for already existing models!

u.s.s.sovereign
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by u.s.s.sovereign » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:02 am

We have shown you mostly starships and stations so far. As you could guess we have a lot of other objects in Star Trek Defence Line. For example stars, nebulas, asteroids, black holes, etc.

Today I'd like to show you our planets. There will be a large variety of planets in the game, each with it's own set of parameters. For example after M-class planet colonization the colony population will gradually rise and player will get additional crew along with titanium and a few dilithium. If player colonizes a planet like Mercury, his colony population will hardly rise, but he'll have a greater amount of other recourses, than if it was an Earth-like planet. However he'll get no crew from such colony.

In sum, here are our beauties:

NEEDED: we still really need someone who could create station building animations for already existing models!

u.s.s.sovereign
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by u.s.s.sovereign » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:47 am

First sight of Klingon faction. D-53 class Bird-of-Preys in fight.

u.s.s.sovereign
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by u.s.s.sovereign » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:19 am

Some news:

The builder ship’s model and textures are remade by Aad Moerman. Look at the screenshot: you can see Atlantia class (builder ship) model. We also recreated some physics. Now vessels react more realistically to torpedoes when their engines are broken down. If a ship loses her crew, she turns neutral and starts to drift through space. We added players’ colours as well. Because of star system’s size, mini map has two modes. The local mode shows the space around player’s camera. The global mode shows the whole star system and massive objects (starbases, planets, etc.).

u.s.s.sovereign
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by u.s.s.sovereign » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:46 am

Critically damaged Akira. By the way, we decided to remove recourse limits.

MrVulcan
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Post by MrVulcan » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:45 am

Looking nice! Keep up the great job.

One comment regarding the planets.. The bump map level is perhaps a bit too high. On a large body such as a planet, mountains and craters would be a lot smaller and smoother (even without an atmosphere). Currently, they just "pop" out on the darker side of the planet as if something large on the surface is casting shadows. If you can send me a few of the planets with textures and bump maps, I can tweak the assets a bit to make the end result more realistic.

Alternatively, I can pull out some older planets that I made for Armada, and update those with the more advanced rendering features in unity (licensing might be tricky though)

u.s.s.sovereign
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by u.s.s.sovereign » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:18 pm

MrVulcan wrote:Looking nice! Keep up the great job.

One comment regarding the planets.. The bump map level is perhaps a bit too high. On a large body such as a planet, mountains and craters would be a lot smaller and smoother (even without an atmosphere). Currently, they just "pop" out on the darker side of the planet as if something large on the surface is casting shadows. If you can send me a few of the planets with textures and bump maps, I can tweak the assets a bit to make the end result more realistic.

Alternatively, I can pull out some older planets that I made for Armada, and update those with the more advanced rendering features in unity (licensing might be tricky though)
We have only ordinary textures and bump is made inside Unity 3D, so I can't send you bump maps, only textures. Thanks for desire to help. We'll think of how to send assets to you without uploading the whole project (it's too heavy). By the way, we tried planets without bump at all, but they look too dull. From playable distance they look good enough, though they may be better, I understand it.

u.s.s.sovereign
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by u.s.s.sovereign » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:24 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen!

We haven't updated info about our project for a while, but now we have something interesting to show you. We recorded a video in which you can see a testing battle with our new explosions effects, new physics for ships and torpedoes. Along with regular starships, you can see three hero vessels. They are U.S.S.BABYLON (designed by Arsen Bagdasarov - u.s.s.sovereign; model by TUB_Husker), U.S.S.NAGASAKI (designed by Arthur Bagdasarov - u.s.s.defiant, model by TUB_Husker), and assimilated U.S.S.REVOLUTION (designed and modeled by dvatreknerd314, who created Evolution class model. The textures of assimilated U.S.S.REVOLUTION by Arthur Bagdasarov). In this battle the Federation and the Borg will meet in fight in a pulsar star system. In our previous video the Collective was represented by a single cube. In this video you can see the whole Borg fleet.

Background: Federation fleet faced the Borg in a pulsar star-system. The Borg flagship Destroyer-Cube (a special vessel class) creates an omega-molecular distortion that destroys subspace preventing all Starfleet vessels to warp out of the system and escape. The Federation fleet has nothing to do but to fight the Borg.

Music:
- Call of Duty - Stalingrad boat ride
- Call of Duty - Red square Charge
- Starship Troopers - Main Theme

https://youtu.be/8Y3ep5n-z6w

u.s.s.sovereign
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by u.s.s.sovereign » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:42 am

Klingon I-73 class starship on a patrol mission.

u.s.s.sovereign
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by u.s.s.sovereign » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:20 am

Ships engines recreating caused such strange views. It'll be solved. We hope, this engines system will be better than the previous one. It has advantages because of working with physics. With the new system starships move using physical engines that will allow us to create manoeuvres later.

galac
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by galac » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:43 am

some gameplay suggestions..

1.I know in real life space is "dark" but can you enlighten ambient..it's hard to see ships and stations..
2. you could also add dominion as playable race, i'd be shame to exclude one of most powerful factions in star drek...
3. maybe add various minor species as "outlaws" e.g. sona, ferengi, breen, kazon..you could hire them as your allies to help you destroy your enemies but you are not allowed to destroy their outposts
4. please, correct that logo... defense instead of defence, or maybe rename game star trek armada chronicles..or something like that
5. I think this game when is finished wont take too much pc resources, so you could add up to 12-16 players map

u.s.s.sovereign
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by u.s.s.sovereign » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:24 am

galac wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:43 am
some gameplay suggestions..

1.I know in real life space is "dark" but can you enlighten ambient..it's hard to see ships and stations..
2. you could also add dominion as playable race, i'd be shame to exclude one of most powerful factions in star drek...
3. maybe add various minor species as "outlaws" e.g. sona, ferengi, breen, kazon..you could hire them as your allies to help you destroy your enemies but you are not allowed to destroy their outposts
4. please, correct that logo... defense instead of defence, or maybe rename game star trek armada chronicles..or something like that
5. I think this game when is finished wont take too much pc resources, so you could add up to 12-16 players map
Thanks for your feedback.

1. We decided to give player ability to adjust graphical settings. If you don't like dark space you'll be able to tune the graphics.
2. The Dominion is not in our priority as it doesn't appear in the plot, so this faction is the last to be added.
3. Minor races are planed but they will have no stations, only wandering starships.
4. "DefenCe" is also a correct variant. We checked in vocabularies.
5. Hmm, we plan to have up to 8 players on one map. Will see.