Armada download section discussion

Our General Discussion Forum. This is the main forum of AFC, and is used for talking about just about anything you like ... Please, do not advertise, 'spam' or 'flame' in this forum.

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Armada download section discussion

Post by thunderchero » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:45 pm

Hi Everyone,

This site will be moving to a new host at the end of April 2017 or shortly after. Due to limited space of new host, all file have been given to MSFC. It will be up to them on what files they will host at MSFC.

The forum here will remain open.

thunderchero

limon36
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Re: NOTICE!!! Armada download section closing soon

Post by limon36 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:39 pm

Birth Of The Federation (1999) is old you should do that game not Armada (2000)!! Do to Armada mods works with Armada 2 (2001) with no problem!! But Birth of the federation has no ver 2!!

thunderchero

Post by thunderchero » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:18 pm

just some info for you.

Armada downloads (I and II) has had basically 0 activity over past 3 years. (total of 1,250 downloads for all armada files, while BOTF files has had over 80,000 downloads)
Since August 2015 only 50 members have even bothered sign in to armada forum. (BOTF site has had 50 members sign in last 18 days)
most user consider armada I un-playable on Windows 8/10
Armada has other more popular sites for support (MSFC and Fleet OPs) (this is only resource for BOTF)

I wish Armada forum had more activity, but from my question I asked last year, most member have little interest in these old files.
shadow wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:50 pm
So for me the site has its value as a handbook. I think this is the case for others also.
napseeker wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:53 am
and I've come back to this site to obviously ask questions). I would hate to see it go away since I do search the forums for answers to my modding questions.
MrVulcan wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:57 pm
while the actual data and files here are becoming less valuable as time goes on,
Coracle wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:15 pm
Because the site is a "home" to return to and the web and the world would be poorer without it.
Elrond wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:10 pm
But mostly, it's a nostalgia trip. This is the only site that I frequented back in the day that's still around today.
icewolf132 wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:08 pm
I don't think there will ever be a day where I will go "Well, no reason to come back here, let's delete that bookmark" because I have a lot of fond memories of AFC.
Captain Rand wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:58 pm
So I'm here basically here to play catch-up (to begin with), then I'll need hints, tips and advice so I hope to carry on as a regular visitor.
But I will agree to if any new mods are released and files have members interests we will try to host them here.

Also if someone want to make a small list of modding tools I would consider continuing hosting those files.

and BTW Birth of the Federation download files have already been greatly decreased. (those files not downloaded anymore)

And with out Birth of the federation this site would have closed in 2013

thunderchero

shadow
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by shadow » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:54 am

Just to clarify things for myself. You want to close the Armada 1 download section and not Armada 2 correct ?

Just asking because I am working on some new models and updating some of my older ones.

Will it be possible to send in new files for the Armada 2 section ?
Greetings shadow

thunderchero

Post by thunderchero » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:52 am

shadow wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:54 am
Just to clarify things for myself. You want to close the Armada 1 download section and not Armada 2 correct ?
I am moving site away from these so called unlimited hosting, they will offer cheep price for 1 year and then jack up price since they know how much of a pain it is to move. The new host I am moving to will be cheaper, but will have limited space and bandwidth.

The original plan was to move all armada (1 and 2) downloads to msfc (since Hellkite offered to host files)

problem 1
I don't know Armada well enough to go though the files myself, what to keep, what to merge or what is just trash.

problem 2
The files on the server is a complete mess, when members submitted replacement/updated files the outdated files were not merged/removed from server. So over the years it has grown to over 7 GB. Currently Armada has only Mr Vulcan for forum support and his time is very limited.

here is some prime examples
Armada_2_wake_of_time.rar (390mb) is corrupt so download page was removed at some point but file was never removed, and we still have a download page and file for wake_of_time_update.rar (95mb). what is the point of having update without main download? that is almost 500mb of wasted hard drive space.

example 2
download page and file for Realtrekv1.0.zip and realtrekv11.zip (each file is 100mb) is v1.0 needed any more?

note; we have 4000 + files but only 1665 download pages 8O

problem 3
I am starting to think members here are not interested in using MSFC for submitting/downloading files.

problem 4
I am still unsure what MSFC plans to do with files from here, if they even plan on doing anything.

problem 5
see my post above, people are not downloading files, no activity on forum,

shadow, your last 2 downloads (I don't want to discourage you, but here is info)
Copernicus Station 10 downloads in 10 months
Unity Station 12 downloads in 10 months

if someone would take the time to decrease used space to around 3.5 gb I think we could keep those downloads and still have some room to still add new smaller downloads. (larger downloads would have to be highly requested, example if Future Tense was released)

thunderchero

shadow
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by shadow » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:59 pm

If I understood your last post correctly you want to close the download section for Armada all together due to limited space at your new hosting company as well as having a problem in sorting out on what to keep.

May I suggest an alternative?

Quote problem 1
I don't know Armada well enough to go though the files myself, what to keep, what to merge or what is just trash.

Since there are hardly any members playing Armada 1 I would close the Armada 1 section completely, but keep the official releases, tools and tutorial sections. These are essentials. Some of the tools work in Armada2 also.

Also I suggest that you keep certain models (ships and stations) which do not exist in the Armada 2 section. These are only a few. They are ports from Birth of the Federation as well as some other Star Trek games and not available elsewhere.

This seems to be harsh but I guess a clean cut is unavoidable.

I can help there. I could take a look at the files and create a spreadsheet (either in excel or open office) with recommendations.

This would also solve a large part of problem 2

As to the Armada 2 section:

I would recommend to keep it as it is at the moment for various reasons:

Armada 2 is still being played by some and they are downloading stuff from http://armadafiles.com/ regularly. So the community is not dead. You have some unique models in the A2 section which are not available elsewhere. So closing would be a loss.

When Fleet Operations 4 is released it will be compatible with the sod format according to the things I read on their website. So modders of this game may still use this website.

For the Complete Conversions section I recommend that you contact the authors if there are several versions / files of their mods, they may help on what to keep and what to delete.

As to MSFC, their rules make it impossible to use for most people that just want to download things.

Quote MSFC:
“Being such a close community, we do have some restrictions, including all users required to be registered before being able to post as well as all members requiring to have participated in the community for sometime before being able to download our modding files to name the main ones. This is done for both the protection of our members and to encourage new members to get involved with the community “

As I see it MSFC is to limited at the moment to act as a possible alternative to your site.

Perhaps MajorPayne can help ?
He has a profound knowledge and may be able to help sort out the complete conversion section of A2

thunderchero

Re: Armada download section discussion

Post by thunderchero » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:51 pm

shadow wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:59 pm
create a spreadsheet
I already have a excel spreadsheet of all AFC A1 and A2 download pages (PM me if you want excel document), I used this yesterday to weed out the files that no longer have a download page (for what ever reason). That reduce used space from 7GB to 5GB. This was without removing any currently available downloads.

Currently "complete conversion mods" section is what uses most of the space. A2 mods 2.35 GB and A1 mods 1.36 GB
So reducing other download sections would have little effect on over all used space.

As for contacting original creators of mods, I would expect that would be difficult to say the least after all these years.

I would suggest opening a new topic for a discussion on what mods to keep and what mods have little value.

Also a list of mods that have updates, so pages and files could be combined. using newer higher compression might help a little?
Also a list of mods that have full updated versions and full older version that need removed.

note; I have also found 30 corrupt files but was able to save all but 13 from backups. also found and fixed 20 bad url's that was missing / or double //

thunderchero

shadow
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by shadow » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:43 pm

Sorry for the wait but I had to respond to a family emergency.

Opening a discussion thread would be a fair way to allow community members to voice their opinions and ideas, but may take some time.
It will allow them to comment on the quality of the mods so it will be easier to identify all high quality material that should be kept. But this depends highly on community input.

To your idea of repackaging older mods, it may help but the measure may not so effective, it depends to a large part on the graphic files in the package.

A small tga file (button) can be compressed by 57% a texture file 63%, ODF and sod files up to 73% using WinZip Pro.

Overall it may be quite time-consuming.

Removing older mods which have a full updated newer version is in my opinion the quickest most effective way.

shadow

thunderchero

Post by thunderchero » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:00 pm

shadow wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:43 pm
Removing older mods which have a full updated newer version is in my opinion the quickest most effective way.
over last couple days working with Mr V. we were able to reduce used space to 4.2 GB by just removing older mods which have a full updated newer version.

I also crunched some numbers to determine max allowable used space for download files.
Each forum will be allowed 5 gb. So Armada currently only has 0.8 gb for new downloads.

So a discussion thread would be a good idea to get started before max is reached. I will leave creation of new topic up to current active members.

thunderchero