Adding Cloaks

Our General Discussion Forum. This is the main forum of AFC, and is used for talking about just about anything you like ... Please, do not advertise, 'spam' or 'flame' in this forum.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

fuller
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Adding Cloaks

Post by fuller » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:45 pm

So I know I'm probably going to sound like an absolute tool here, but I can't seem to get the hang of adding cloaks to ships - I've tried the Klingon scout and second cruiser, getting a button that didn't work and no change respectively. All I was doing was adding the weapon to the odf. Is there something else perhaps in the techtree etc I should also be doing?

MrVulcan
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Re: Adding Cloaks

Post by MrVulcan » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:13 pm

I don't have access to my odfs at the moment, but few things I can recollect:

- if this is A1, make sure that button priority line for the cloak is the same as button priority for other special weapons.

- make sure that the weapon hardpoints actually exist. You can use "root" for cloak since it doesn't really need to be at any specific location on the ship.

- make sure that the weapon and weapon hardpoints number are matching. Easy to make a mistake when copy-pasting.

fuller
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by fuller » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:27 pm

Thanks Mr V, will have another go now and let you know how I get on :)
(Very quick edit - have managed to get the cloak working on the second Klingon cruiser, will next attempt to get it on the other ships.
Then I have some fixing to do to make the super weapon ships slower as I have inadvertantly sped them us as well as the second cruisers and specials!
Then I have plans to do the simple stuff like add Galaxy and Preminition to the game, then ships from the download section.
In short, wish I'd attempted a large scale mod ages ago instead of being satisfied with just making the game easier :P

fuller
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by fuller » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:32 pm

Firstly, I apologise for being probably quite annoying, asking all these questions about cloaks

As I mentioned, I've managed to add cloaks to all the Klingon ships I wanted to, tested them all and was happy. I then realised the Romulan Shadow class (the rspecial) has no cloak so I added it. Here's the issue: the Shadow has a phase cloak enabled when you have the addition to the science station.
Adding the standard cloak as a seventh weapon leaves the shields down on the ship while cloaked, with the blue waves moving around the ship.
Adding the standard cloak as the third weapon and the phase cloak as the seventh (basically swapping them over) provides the same shield issue while using the Phase Cloak as well as letting the ship attack and use weapons while cloaked and undetectable...! While this is a great accidental discovery, it was certainly not my intention.

I know the simple solution is just to use the phase cloak and stop adding the standard one, but I'd prefer to be able to hide the ship without the need for the station and its addition. I'm aware this might be a hard one to fix, and if push comes to shove I'll leave it as is, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

MrVulcan
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Post by MrVulcan » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:09 am

I'm not too sure that I understood the issue with having both cloaks on the ship. As far as I know, switching weapon position (button slot) makes no difference. Perhaps it is the order in which you click the buttons that makes the difference? I don't think there is any straight-forward way of making shields work with cloak.

But, there is always a possibility ;)

You can use some kind of shield recharging weapon (or even shield transfer wep) to add shields to a ship that's cloaked. Might need to use a support ship for this, or use a uball weapon with multiple weapons on it.. Might not be possible though as cloak has no ordnance associated to it.

fuller
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by fuller » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:44 pm

When I tried it, the issue basically was that using one or the other made you vulnerable to weapons if detected. Obviously that was fine with the undetectable phase cloak, but that led to the weapons-while-cloaked scenario. As is, I have left it, as the AI tends not to use the specials that much and I am happy to use the phase cloak as a standard