Why has no one asked about scripting?

Here you will find tutorials on modding

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

Mindlessthing
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Why has no one asked about scripting?

Post by Mindlessthing » Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:46 am

Because I'm extremely confused, I don't know how you make script and how to edit it.

cecilzero1
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by cecilzero1 » Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:47 am

more info plzs ??

are u talking bout how to make an ODF??

Mindlessthing
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Mindlessthing » Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:52 am

No, by scripting I mean making stuff spawn from nowhere, making an in-game movie, things like that.

cecilzero1
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by cecilzero1 » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:00 am

on Future Tense there is a Start up being made

now on the other questions u meationed it might not be possible in Armada

Mindlessthing
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Mindlessthing » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:12 am

But it's in missions, like a borg squadron appearing on the map and then heading for your base, that's scripting. An in-game movie is made my cameras so that might not be scripting, if you use Hexeditor you open up files of scripting.

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:24 pm

I know for a fact that the dsl and drl files (mission files), this is where the scripting is done. I know that if you edit one of these files using hexeditor that you can change missions (like what ships and how many will appear). However, there is a tutorial that I saw called Campaign Editing (campedit is the filename). In this tutorial, it is said that if you change one of those files with hexeditor that you MUST make the files the same size they were before you editted it (that means if you started with a file that's 340kb, you have to end up with 340 kb file after you save the new settings). If this requirement is not met, that being that the file size has been changed (i.e., if you replaced fente with fexcalibur) then the file WILL NOT WORK. That means you must rename files if you want to replace a ship to make the filename the same # of characters. I've not tried this myself because I'm scared :oops: (actually, never got around to trying it). But I at least know this is true with Armada I - Armada II may be different - you may be able to change the size of the scripts, but I wouldn't try to do so because I'm not sure of what would result! I'm assuming the game would crash, but it could be worse - since I'm not exactly sure of it, I wouldn't try changing the files without first backing them up!
When you said scripting, I knew sort of what you meant because I just read the tutorial recently. I've been trying to do some experiments with making ship models with the tutorials, and then I came along the campaign edit tutorial. Scripting and ship modelling are the two things with Armada I never really tried until recently, so if or when I master that, I'll be quite proud of myself! Well, I hope what I said above helps. :)

EventHorizon
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by EventHorizon » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:48 am

if the dsl and drl files have the same rules as executable files, than i suggest using a debugging program to edit if you dont want the same number of characters. This is for offset purposes (how that works exactly, im not sure). The debugger will offer to fill offset changes with blank commands so that the file is still usable without causing errors.

cecilzero1
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by cecilzero1 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:28 am

EventHorizon wrote:if the dsl and drl files have the same rules as executable files, than i suggest using a debugging program to edit if you dont want the same number of characters. This is for offset purposes (how that works exactly, im not sure). The debugger will offer to fill offset changes with blank commands so that the file is still usable without causing errors.

ok im going to stop this before it igets out of hand no talking bout edit the source code or ANYTHING connecting to said EXE

Dewbacca
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Re: Why has no one asked about scripting?

Post by Dewbacca » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:42 pm

So is this where MM's dynamic loader comes in, allowing us to ADD TO the code, not edit source?

I would have thought all of these games fell under abandonware these days, just not the ST franchise.