Star Trek Future Tense.... 2018 UPDATE... WE'RE BACK!

30 Years after "Nemesis" The torch of adventure is about to be passed from the Next Generation to the New Generation on an all new Enterprise

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Star Trek Future Tense.... 2018 UPDATE... WE'RE BACK!

Post by Phantom » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:03 pm

Hi guys,

Okay, long hiatus... but with stuff going on outside of the Armada and hobbiest world (some of us are married with kids now! how crazy is that! some of us were teens when we started making this close to 16 years ago!)

Future Tense for me, along with a lot of other stuff were halted and mothballed. The team disbanded and went about their own paths. After elements in life forced me to rethink what I've done and after a bit of soul searching I came to the realization that when I start big projects, something happens and it never gets finished.... Future Tense being a prime example.

That said I contacted some of the old team members and we're proud to say... we're back!

This Future Tense will be different from the previous one - that was, well a mess. We kept adding, bug fixing... no public releases or anything to keep you guys interested other than pretty pictures and promises of a grand release. Appreciate AFC seems pretty dead right now compared to where it was last time I was here... that in mind I implore you to keep visiting as I'm aiming to post WEEKLY updates. Be it remodeled units, screenshots or something. So send some traffic AFC way!

So changes....

When we were modding we kept finding new things to play with, and the MOD kind of lost it's way, we had 47+ Federation units, 9 races, Massive maps inspired from the likes of Star Trek Voyager / Enterprise / DS9 / TNG and the Original Series.

We spent a few hours simplifying it, consider what to drop, what to keep, what to add and organising a vision for Future Tense. The Federation List has been halfed, the Borg AI programming is going to make you think twice before taking on a cube and we have something special planned for the others.

GREAT NEWS TOO! Stuff dropped from Future Tense and older versions of ships that get a face lift... WILL see a Public Release! Dates TBC for now.

Watch this space!

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Re: Star Trek Future Tense.... 2018 UPDATE... WE'RE BACK!

Post by Phantom » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:55 pm

First update with some eye candy:

Were gonna work race by race rather than all over the place adding here there and everywhere before. Focused efforts and then go from there. After the team assessed every model, unit and capability for each so they have a pro and a con, and a reason to be added to the fleet of the AI or player, we decided a few models - mainly those built at the very beginning (our skill has advanced a decade and a half so detail and taking advantage of polyons are better) or ones no longer fit for purpose for one reason or another, would be rebuilt from scratch.

Now the old models WILL be released in due course, so for now, here are some of the 'new' vessels.

Firstly, the Steamrunner which will now be 'Cruiser 3'
It'll retain the original Armada long range feature, but will be more adaptive, it's designed for exceptional long-range assaults. Weak in close combat, but will never miss a shot at long range!

The steamrunner, like the previous is heavily designed and adapted from the concept art for the one that finally made it to screen.

Next up is the Ronin which has been rebuilt by EpytronOmega and textured by me, designed by the great Mr. Hobbs. The original model was fine, but we felt that firmer lines, more detail to areas - especially the bottom and overall feel of the ship needed an update:

Thirdly and lastly for now, the Federation Constructor.... Was a giant workbee, was over scaled and though looked cool, we felt something meaty would be better and after being inspired from a shuttle design on Facebook, and took many inspiring nods to the beahemoth that is Thunderbird 2, created a Construction Tank... Slow moving (so plan bases well) but can take a wallop! Should last longer under fire if a sneaky Romulan decloaks and threatens your base's future.

More to follow soon :)

Any feedback would be great as I'm sure I don't speak for myself when I say that guys too would appreciate it a great deal :D

Adam

galac
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by galac » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:38 am

Hello Phantom!! First of all, is this mod for Armada 1??

What we can expect of gameplay? Diplomacy, trade, new resources?? What races are in this mod - just 3-4 or more??

Thanks for your answers!!

And btw, models above look nice, just like from some new, modern RTS game!!

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:45 pm

It's for Armada 1 and feature new functions that weren't used in the original, there will be more than the base 4 races too :) Depends on your race for diplomacy trade etc...

galac
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by galac » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:53 am

Alright!! :) I always preferred A1 more than A2... I honestly hope that this mod is going to have that classic A1 feeling - playing A1 for hours...

New models will be still in SOD format right??

And I'm sorry, I'm curious... How did you bypass A1 LIMITATION OF 4 RACES?? I'd like to make my "stock" A1 game more exciting!

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:13 pm

A magician never gives away their secrets ;)

galac
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by galac » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:14 am

haha well i honestly hope you'll tell me once your mod is out.... because i'd like to create 5th race in Armada 1 using other races' ships (dominion, carides, son'a etc.)... but i can wait :)

on the other hand, i can't wait for some screens... release date is late 2018, or 2019 maybe??

and again i'm curious... - i hope that ships and stations will be in same (how to say it) horizontal plane/level... Something that "killed" me in A2 was fact that some stations are higher, others are lower... i mean wtf...

you can colonize planets in your mod?? if is that case, put those planets below ships and stations just like planets are placed in A1... below nebulas, asteroids, stations... etc...

Thanks in advance for replying... I hope community will wake up little bit :)

galac
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by galac » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:16 am

future tense is set 30 years after nemesis? take a look at this... scroll to the bottom of page i provide.. maybe you are aware of it already https://forum.facepunch.com/f/fbx/qxpf/ ... -models/8/

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:30 pm

Here's this weeks update.

We've been working on the Federation Hero units. Whilst I've been busy trolling episodes of Star Trek Next Gen and Voyager, Sam's been busy outfitting the old models.

Now when Future Tense was originally concepted, the U.S.S. Titan was a reference on Nemesis, no book series or anything. Now the Luna has been recognised as 'Canon' it'd be like calling the AkiraPrise an Enterprise... Oh... wait. (Messing, loved Enterprise as much as the rest - for the most part) anyway... Sam has done a fantastic job in creating the Luna class at a poly affordable price tag as to not upset the game.

Here's some eye-candy:

We all had a sit down and after much deliberation... we've made the unanimus choice to REMOVE the Sernaix race from Virtual Voyager and keep it in keeping with a well known race that has the potential to instil fear into others! Now we'll leave that little spoiler until we have something to show you, but that also means that Voyager needs a change and an update.

We didn't want a radical change like the Virtual Voyager starship which'll be released soon, but we did want something easily identifiable, and a ship that's fit for purpose.

Again Sam worked his magic and created this master piece. Here is our 'unique' Intrepid refit for the U.S.S. Voyager:

We're undecided whether to revert the standard intrepid to a more 'classic' skin or keep the above, but both Titan and Voyager will get a skin of TGA over the coming days/week :p