Important info on site change.

Moderator: thunderchero

cleverwise
Captain
Captain

New Layout Feedback

Post by cleverwise »

Hello community,

Feel free to share your thoughts and feelings about the new site design and forum themes (light and dark). We can take the good and bad.
Hailing frequencies close,

Jeremy
Whether you rise or fall depends on... you!
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: New Layout Feedback

Post by thunderchero »

Hi everyone,

Just so you know we have 2 styles available

a light version (more mobile friendly)
and
a dark version (star background)

you can change this in user control panel/board preferences

you will also notice we have added some new bbcodes for posting.

thunderchero
Kerric
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Kerric »

Light version is a bit harsh to the eyes when viewed on a computer. Like the look and feel of the site overall.
brianmcfa
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by brianmcfa »

thunderchero wrote:Hi everyone,

Just so you know we have 2 styles available

a light version (more mobile friendly)
and
a dark version (star background)

you can change this in user control panel/board preferences

you will also notice we have added some new bbcodes for posting.

thunderchero
Is the version you select supposed to effect the entire site or just the boards? I really dislike the light version but after I switched it didn't seem to affect more than the board pages.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

brianmcfa wrote:Is the version you select supposed to effect the entire site or just the boards? I really dislike the light version but after I switched it didn't seem to affect more than the board pages.
Site index will not change it is not phpbb, it is wordpress and you are not signed in on that page.

thunderchero
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Post by cleverwise »

The theme selection is for forum only. The site itself is based on white to make it easier to read as Facebook, Amazon, Tigerdirect, etc do. We just decided on that path.

Jeremy
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

I love the new look and am thrilled by the many new bbcode options! :o
Whether light version is harsh or not depends on monitor, eyes and room light. But I prefer dark one also.
very well done cw & tc, now head on with the many additions to wordpress you have in plan!
can't wait for it :mrgreen:

@site index, well that's not so easy to change by user preference as user accounts are not shared yet, so we either can have a light site index or a dark one but not both for now
it is like old parent index if you ever did take a look. yes we had one and yes that one was black not white but didn't change by login either.
with a shared login this could be done some time eventually
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

looks nice and smooth and seems to be fast as well. On the old board, sometimes it took ages to get a new password. Now it was there in a matter of seconds. :)

Great work cleverwise and tc.

I personally love the FAQ. I hope TC will make great use of it, so he doesn't have to answer the same questions for the 5th million time anymore.

I switched the layout to dark for the moment. - like the transparency. For the people who have problems with that Fukushima-white I can recommend a Program called f.lux.

It regulates the color temperatur of your monitor (even that of tablets, phones) and lowers the amount of blue, depending on the time of a day. (you just have to enter your coordinates) It's great to go easy on ones eyes, esp. at night. I'm using it for a couple of months now and am quite happy with it. It's a bit of a shock first but there's an option to set up the transition time up to one hour, so it won't be noticable.

Even with f.lux the white was quite a bit heavy. But since we have 2 styles it shouldn't be a problem. I prefer the darker version anyway. The nice new logo fits well with the star background imo.

I haven't checked everything yet. It seems that there is quite a bit to discover. Those articles about trek-tech@treknobabble seem interesting. But I have no clue why they're here. But hey, I'm all for surprises ;)

Haven't checked the search function and downloads yet. Overall there is a lot to test. But your work makes a very good first impression. If there are bugs, we'll find out eventually. I'm happy atm. :)

edit: ok edits seem to work the same way
Last edited by KrazeeXXL on Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
brianmcfa
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by brianmcfa »

cleverwise wrote:The theme selection is for forum only. The site itself is based on white to make it easier to read as Facebook, Amazon, Tigerdirect, etc do. We just decided on that path.
You're sure TC wasn't just trying to outdo my picture of a cloaked ship on the other page? :cool: :lol:
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Post by cleverwise »

We have found some broken images. Sorry about that guys and perhaps gals (if any). The nature of split directories (stm.com and afc.com/botf), with files all over the place unlike now with a single area. This will need to be fixed although honestly I am running out of steam for today.

Jeremy
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

easy going ;)

haste makes waste.

the only thing I'd do for the moment would to switch the standard layout to the dark one. So we would get more feedback about the actual site, and not that white layout itself.

edit: now that was a typo...
edit2: what's up with that white, yellow and red communicators next to each thread? Seems not to be about the amount of posts. Some kind of rating?
brianmcfa
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by brianmcfa »

I just had an issue with the search box at the top of the forum page. It'll occasionally give me an error message when I search. I just hit the back button and search again and it works so I'm not sure if it's something page related or if it's my connection somehow.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

"an error message"

what error message? we ain't betazoids here and can read minds, you know?
brianmcfa
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by brianmcfa »

KrazeeXXL wrote:"an error message"

what error message? we ain't betazoids here and can read minds, you know?
Sorry, "Page not found". Also I've tried several searches since my initial post, can't replicate it now.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

try the advanced search and use the search for any terms. I think, when you just type in something into the search bar, it is only looking for the exact terms.

I've tried to look for mpr++ before and it didn't find anything. Then I used the advanced search with any terms and it worked.

edit: it would be nice to change that the search would look for any terms on standard. esp. for cases like this. When I want exact terms, I usually use "exact" + "terms" as query anyway.

edit:

I know mpr++ was a mean way to use the search function. :P

I tested it a bit more. 3 dozent times with a whole lot of different terms and single words and it always worked for me.

brianmfca, try to flush your cache.
Last edited by KrazeeXXL on Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Site Information”