The History of armadafleetcommand

Important info on site change.

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

The History of armadafleetcommand

Post by thunderchero »

Hi Everyone,

After Spocks-cuddly-tribble post Thank you for ten incredible years it got me thinking about the history of armadafleetcommand. So here is the timeline as I know it.

Jul 12, 2001
Our founder AFC obtained the domain. He started the site on a free server, but quickly reached the max allowed bandwidth from uploaded and downloaded files.

Oct 5, 2001
Site was moved to new server and added vBulletin message board. This lasted until Apr 2003
Here is what it looked like;

July 8, 2002
BOTF download page Opens. At this point it had mainly the basic patch files as you see in image.

Apr 20, 2003
Current Armada forum opens using vBulletin with new theme. I expect there must have been some type of crash causing reset.
At this point all messages and member were lost. I expect important info was re-posted quickly.

Sep 20, 2003
AFC decided vBulletin was too much money and switched to php-nuke. This theme lasted until Oct 2005

Mar 09, 2004
AFC add a portal page and new forum for Birth of the Federation.

Mar, 2005
BOTF pages got a new theme

Oct, 2005
Armada portal and forum got a new theme.

Mar 20, 2007
I joined the BOTF forum and requested permission to continue UnCivil wars from RAZORSEDGE, and he granted my request. shortly after that I was approached by siggi to help with UDM III and I accepted. I was not the ideal member I ran into issues with Joker (I was even banned for a short time by Jigalypuff) when I used some of his code to create an installer for Uncivil war, but after time we worked out our issues and became friends and he even helped me understand the code used to develop the first multi-installer.

Apr, 2008
BOTF database fails and all posts and member base is lost, forum restarted Apr 25, 2008. The theme remained unchanged.
Note; This is when I took over administrative duties for armadafleetcommand.

March, 2010
Armada get a new theme, This lasted until our current theme.

Aug, 2011
BOTF gets a new theme, This lasted until our current theme.
Note; during this time BOTF had 2 synchronized databases armadafleetcommand/botf and startrekmodding/botf/phpBB3
this caused a few issues when we went to current address.

Dec, 2014
We almost lost everything when php-nuke was no longer going to be supported.
But we had a dedicated member cleverwise who stepped up to offer his web designing support Cyberweb Solutions and he did all the setup for our wordpress portal and created a custom download system. He also helped me sort though all the phpbb files and fixed our forum databases.

Feb 21, 2017
AFC transferred ownership of domain to me (thunderchero)

May, 2017
We moved to our current server with the expert help of cleverwise.

I hope some of the images bring back some happy memories.

thunderchero

I also need to credit Wayback Machine for archiving all these pages/images
SeaBee-T
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Re: The History of armadafleetcommand

Post by SeaBee-T »

Wow, I remember some of the theme changes, but not all. It is interesting to see the ones that I've missed. :)
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

amazing to see how the looks of the forum has changed :up:
the earliest I remember is from 2004, but I must have viewed at least the one before as well.
Narn
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Narn »

unfortunately i only visit this site once every 2 years or so i'm so pleased to see it still going strong. my first memory is the march 2005 look and registered years later

Return to “Site Information”