Could this be the last year for AFC site?

Important info on site change.

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Could this be the last year for AFC site?

Post by thunderchero »

Hi Everyone,

we are all paid up for the next year, so enjoy

thunderchero
thunderchero

Re: Could this be the last year for AFC site?

Post by thunderchero »

Hi Everyone,

site is paid up for next year.

I will be honest, here lately I have not been enjoying keeping the site/files going. So this may be the last year.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

thunderchero wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:19 amI will be honest, here lately I have not been enjoying keeping the site/files going. So this may be the last year.
Fist of all a big thanks for your outstanding dedication over all the years. :up: :wink:

I thought the bulk of the work was updating the mods/installer (should be completed soon).

Is maintaining the AFC domain problematic for a successor due to outdated files, software or databases (I'm not qualified)?

Perhaps one of the Supremacy supporters has an inspiration for merging/including the good old BotF info into a new shared site (if they want to keep it)?
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:24 am Perhaps one of the Supremacy supporters has an inspiration for merging/including the good old BotF info into a new shared site (if they want to keep it)?
Supremacy has there own site now.
http://supremacy.2pixels.net/
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

thunderchero wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:36 amSupremacy has there own site now.
http://supremacy.2pixels.net/
Yes, but no own forum area, yet (still AFC).

So when transferring Supremacy forum part from AFC to a new page they might be willing to also include the BotF part/info into a sub section (plus download files)?
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:56 am So when transferring Supremacy forum part from AFC to a new page
I don't even think that is possible.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

You hinted, you don't intend to shutdown this place overnight, this leaves some months to brainstorm the best/realistic ideas/inspirations.

So let's see who is willing and able to provide useful future solutions.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:29 pm You hinted, you don't intend to shutdown this place overnight, this leaves some months to brainstorm the best/realistic ideas/inspirations.

So let's see who is willing and able to provide useful future solutions.
lol after 6 posts I doubt if anyone else will even see my original post.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

thunderchero wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:19 am I will be honest, here lately I have not been enjoying keeping the site/files going. So this may be the last year.
That is shocking news! :shock: :shock:
thunderchero wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:44 pm lol after 6 posts I doubt if anyone else will even see my original post.
Not at first sight but already the response was shocking!

Dude, what can we do to make your day some little bit better :?:
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Flocke wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:55 pm Dude, what can we do to make your day some little bit better :?:
not much, right now I feel the site is only here for 6 - 10 members, the latest beta testing just showed me how bad members don't want to take part in testing any more or even basic discussions.

that can't be fixed
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

thunderchero wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:15 pm not much, right now I feel the site is only here for 6 - 10 members, the latest beta testing just showed me how bad members don't want to take part in testing any more or even basic discussions.

that can't be fixed
Ah well, that is something I'd not care too much about. Take a break and leave people time!
For interesting more ppl in this game again, we might start some brainstorming, some polls or ask former active members what would make them become interested again.

If asking me, leave me some time to get this framework thing done and from there let's investigate new possibilities. :cool:
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Flocke wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:38 pm leave me some time to get this framework thing done and from there let's investigate new possibilities. :cool:
let's say I just let it go..

05/07/2024 PM's and e-mail notification would stop working
06/01/2024 or 07/01/2024 funds would be depleted for server fees
07/12/2024 I would lose rights to armadafleetcommand.com domain
RSE_Chris
Commander
Commander

Post by RSE_Chris »

This would be a huge loss to the BOTF community, which still exists today primarily due to AFC and the work you’ve put into it. I can understand how it may appear that it serves only a handful of people, but in actual fact it has served people for over 20 years which not many game sites can claim, let alone a site that caters to such a small community of BOTF players and modders.

If the main concern is down to things like the number of people who take part in beta testing etc, then like all things perhaps it is a case of being time for AFC to evolve? For example, to get people more interested in the game (and beta testing), then maybe more of a community approach that more broadly incorporates Star Trek would assist with this? For example, sub-sections for discussions on the various Star Trek spinoffs to foster more discussion and help AFC with search engine optimisations etc to bring more people to the site. Just a thought.

Whatever you decide to do with AFC, your dedication and huge contribution is appreciated by many, I am certain.
RedSunWuKong
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by RedSunWuKong »

I'm going to chip in here.

I've been a lurker in the dark (15 years possibly, my advancing years dim the memory) and have played the game and it's many mods over the years, and continue to do so.

I still stop by a couple of times a week to see the chat. It's part of the structure of my week :)

I'm not in a position (skill wise) to tkae much weight Thunder, but as and when fees are due, if you put a call out I will answer.
mytranquillity85
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by mytranquillity85 »

Hey guys,

I just discovered this site a while back when I found the old Botf CD and tried to get it running.

Since then I played the game once in a while and checked this place for any news / releases. I am not visible here really, but I do appreciate what you are doing with the game, keeping it alive.

Since I got two kids and a full time job I unfortunately don't have the time to participate in any beta testing even though I would like.

Whats the hosting fee for this forum?
Does this forum show all members and their last activity? (I ran a forum myself years ago using phpBB were you could see that)

Greetings from Germany
Andy

Return to “Site Information”