Ultimate Editor

Ultimate Editor; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

Peter1981 wrote:Have you disable the don't move move shipyards ect DCER?
Yes, any building can be moved anywhere now. I thought I had all of the id's, but some are still missing. If you move those buildings UE will edit the known locations, it may be enough for some of these buildings - trade goods being one of those that can be moved without problems for instance.

Your way of padding the list is a good way to make sure everything works.
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

does removing/adding additional main structures work in UE correctly AFAIK the 'reserved' structure ID's are above all these (shipyards etc)?
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

Peter1981 wrote:does removing/adding additional main structures work in UE correctly AFAIK the 'reserved' structure ID's are above all these (shipyards etc)?
The rules for the main buildings are still the same. I recommend you use Gowron's approach, by keeping the buildings and just making them unavailable for all races/empires. I've tried removing some main buildings, to lower the total count but botf still sometimes requested an invalid building id (main building id). If you try this, make sure to have the same number of buildings for all main buildings. Also same main building groups should have buildings with the same levels. It has to do with botf marking bits on a bit field where the main buildings are and seemingly expecting buildings on the same relative positions to be of the same level. Same type of main buildings for the same race need to be grouped together so if you want to skip levels you'll need Gowrons approach. I don't think adding lvl 10 main buildings will work, but I haven't tried.

If you want additional buildings (not main) add them to the end of the list just to be on the safe side.

And if you happen to find - by chance or otherwise - a list of main building ids (full list not just starting ones) or a function that increments starting ids - that I missed - let me know :)
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

no worries DCER if i find any info that might help i'll post ;)

DCER wrote:
I don't think adding lvl 10 main buildings will work, but I haven't tried
@Tethys -- did you add lvl 10 farms / industry / energy / intel / research buildings -- IIRC it was something you were looking into any results to share?
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

not that i can recall peter, then again im not home atm, so i will have to follow up post later on
Not for the weak of heart...
GALM <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod
DUKE-NUKEM
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Moveable Star Bases & additonal Starbase Classes

Post by DUKE-NUKEM »

Hey Folks ;)

I was wondering if its possible to edit a Starbase/Outpost to like move and extend the range for ships same time, i made a outpost move but saved it as a ship so its not really a Starbasse or outpost anymore. Maybe its allready possible and i just oversaw the feature. :roll:

Does anyone know where to increase the ressourses for like the AI to calculate their turns if they have tons of ship? So far in increased the maintenance cost heavy so they mostly just have 2 dozen ship per side before i made it so cheap that they build so much so the speed of turns decreased almost rapidly by each turn.

Did anyone managed to edit the Starmap into the way that each Sektor has a System? If so i be happy to see the valures to put in to try it myself too :D
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Hi DCER, here with a request for experimental feature if you are up to the task. No rush, of course.

Propulsion ranges seem to be able to be extended (by use of tech level) by using the info SCT posted in the thread below:

viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=24897#24897

I hope this has all the info you need to add map ranges, if not my apologies. As always, no rush, whenever you update your UE you can just pop this in anytime ;)

EDIT: Also, if its not too much trouble, could you put the ship range ability up to 7, I tested 6 and I saw no adverse effects, however doing this to many ships via hex editing is rather time consuming (many steps needed) this can also be experimental feature as well. I havent tested ships with 7 range but i dont see why you would have run into trouble with over 5 sector per turn. Thanks
Cabbages
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Cabbages »

Hi DCER

I've been trying to modify your code, but i'm not sure what ue.util.copy is meant to do.

The reason I ask is becuase i'm trying to compile the code for the first time and it's coming with an error.

Type mismatch: cannot convert from ue.util.GifColorMap to ue.util.copy.GifColorMap

This is becuase your trying to do this in the ue.util.copy.getcolormap method.

try
{
gcm = PALETTES.getColorMap(i);
}

PALETTES has been storing data using the ue.util.getcolormap method and is now being ask to store it as a .copy.getcolormap and it's a typecast error.

So I was wondering what copy does and if it doesn't do anything I'm going to just remove the whole package, and if it does then I'll create a superclass or tell the .copy to use the method in the ue.colormap.

thanks, p.s. I'm only doing this becuase it's the program is saying it can't find sav.tmp and I don't know where its searching so I was just going to modify the error a bit and say which folder it's looking the sav.tmp in.
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

Hi,

sorry, I haven't checked the site in a while.

@Tethys

I've set the speed of a ship to 7 and it just reverts to 5 in-game. Checking the file it had the 7 saved.

Thanks for the link.

@Cabbages

I'm sorry I don't understand what code is giving you the trouble. There is no ue.util.copy package.

sav.tmp can be located in different places. It's a temporary file that UE places in a writable directory. It tries to write to these directories in the given order: working directory (this one depends on how UE was started), app directory (where UE.jar is), user home directory and temporary directory.

If you send me a pm with the contents of error.log I can find where the error is coming from, fix the error msg and maybe help you fix the problem.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

DCER wrote:Hi,

@Tethys

I've set the speed of a ship to 7 and it just reverts to 5 in-game. Checking the file it had the 7 saved.

Thanks for the link.
That is interesting, because when Ive set them manually (ie hex editing) to 6, in game it showed a speed of 6 and it moved 6 spaces during testing. I have not tried 7 so I dont know if its a threshold/-1 issue or what. Ill have to look at it again when I have some free time. As now im a bit tied up with a new game I bought :roll:
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Tethys wrote:
DCER wrote:Hi,

@Tethys

Thanks for the link.
That is interesting, because when Ive set them manually (ie hex editing) to 6, in game it showed a speed of 6 and it moved 6 spaces during testing. I have not tried 7 so I dont know if its a threshold/-1 issue or what. Ill have to look at it again when I have some free time. As now im a bit tied up with a new game I bought :roll:
Could DCER's test been limited to ship range? :wink:

thunderchero
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

It was.

For this to work is the extended map ranges fix required or something else?

Setting the ship's map range above 5 doesn't seem to cause any ill effects so I'll be removing the limit.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

I may have misunderstood SCT's post in that thread. I was under the impression that changing of all offsets containing 0A to something higher (eg 0F) would 'unlock' the propulsion techs somehow, but without knowing how custom range values are handled by UE and Botf there is no way for me to test it. Rereading SCTs post has given me the idea that its a space issue, that all the propulsion techs are handled in trek.exe and not by the tech tree, so Im assuming the only way to extend map ranges is to hex edit trek.exe and change reference pointers to compensate for smaller bytes.

As for the limit, that would be great. This way we dont have to mess around with negative values and incorrect displays (unless were doing warp 10 in our mods ;P)
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

Tethys wrote:Rereading SCTs post has given me the idea that its a space issue, that all the propulsion techs are handled in trek.exe and not by the tech tree, so Im assuming the only way to extend map ranges is to hex edit trek.exe and change reference pointers to compensate for smaller bytes.
Yes, you are right. The map ranges are an array of 4 byte integers in trek.exe. If they were limited to 2 byte per value, you'd get double amount of them.
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

Sorry to bring this up just a small ( but easily solve so not very annoying bug) when minors are changed (UE 0.7.1 dev 11e) some minor race pictures ie kaylar.tga does not stick and will revert to other picture in this case malcorians but in the case of coridans i found it when to coh_ something or other .tga

anyway a quick file extraction hex edit and file install will circumvent the problem but just thought you'd like to know.

As i said it's not a problem to manually adjust this just might want to go on the to do list ;)

Return to “Ultimate Editor”