Ultimate Editor

Ultimate Editor; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Wilhelmina
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Wilhelmina »

Hey there

i observe this forum regularely and appreciate the works on this tool, I also worked with it some time.

For now I ve got a problem, I use extra large maps and the Ai isnt really smart in colonizing any new systems , when there are many paces bretween the systems. So I thought I regroup the systems with the tool.
(actually I try to make a canon map as given from Star Trek : Facts & Infos ^^')
But everytime I reposition some systems and then play for some time, I get some strange behaviour :
Empire-Unique Buildings or the special buildings of minors can be build as often I want to, at least they reapear in the building list and are able to be build, after they are build, they reappear again in the building list, but arent actually build .

I used the galaxy editor /ver.2 to reposition some systems with their ships (UE 7dev13a)

Is there a way to deavtivate this? I , can live with this for now, but I think in future I may just reposition with an older version of your tool and its galaxy editor and let the ships where they are O.o , and maybe deactivate starting ships for all empires .

Keep up the works on your editor , its a blessing to me :D
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

Hi Wilhelmina,

I haven't heard of this problem yet, not sure what could be causing it but it's not intentional. When you edit with the older version (Galactic Map) does this not happen? Are you using a mod or vanilla botf? Did you edit stbof.res?

Thanks for reporting this!
Wilhelmina
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Wilhelmina »

Hey :)

This Issue happens when I try to move whole systems with their ships in Orbit (Galactic map v2 (early preview) ) . However this does not happen , when I move systems with the normal galactic map (but with this method the ships stay where they are) - In all versions.

Since the dev 7.13a is the only one, where I can move systems with ships (like homesystems or Rubicun) .It only occurs there.

Oh and a second Issue with the galaxy editing occurs after some gameplay. When I edit the galaxy again after some playtime, the whole game gets confused after I end the turn (like I know empires and races I never met, but have no contracts active abnd the like )

I neither use a known mod nor play I vanilla, I made my own mod , for personel use. And yes I edited Stbof.res and the trek.exe.

(I integrated new ships, and altered the techtree, also I repostioned the ships in the shiplist , so that the AI starts to build all ships, and some minior tweaks in minor races etc)

I hope this helps a bit ?
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

Thanks, it helps.

Hopefully I'll have some time and energy left this weekend to check what dev13 is doing different that might cause this. :)

On the second issue:

Once more of the saved game structure is figured out this might be less of an issue, but for now it's recommended you edit saved games only on turn 1. This is so the ai doesn't get as confused and also there's less game data that might get messed up (events, reports, sector ownership...). I haven't heard of contact data getting messed up, but funky stuff happening can be expected.

Cheers
Wilhelmina
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Wilhelmina »

thanks for your effort into this :)

I hope you find the problem

best regards

Wilhelmina
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

Hi,

I've had some time to test this. I've found that moving a system (with ships) with the dev version and new galaxy map gui doesn't change anything that should affect the tech available. Comparing the output files from 0.7.0 and 0.7.1 they are basically the same - save for the changed ship positions and some minor differences that have no effect on anything.

If you're using the same editor and the difference is only in using the Galactic Map or Galactic Map v2 it's even less likely it's the cause as the only difference then would be the changed ship positions.

In such cases most likely the problem is in your stbof.res. But I don't know why it would suddenly work one way then another.

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions on this?
Asano
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

large Galaxy size trek.exe file availible?

Post by Asano »

Hi,

I have tried to modify the galaxy size myself, but have failed. Is there any place where one can download (or otherwise get) a runnable exe file with larger galaxy size?

Cheers for any answers.
Asano
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

Hi Asano,

Have you followed the tutorial by Thunderchero?

https://www.armadafleetcommand.com/botf ... ial-for-ue

What size/options did you try to set?
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Re: Ultimate Editor

Post by Tethys »

DCER, I'm having trouble setting ship speeds again. It goes above 5 yes, but its limited to 7 now. Is there any way to include something to break this limit whenever you update UE? If not no worries I can always hex edit its no big deal :)
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

Hi Tethys,

I had another check in the code. It's fixed now.

EDIT:

I've also uploaded 0.7.0l. It fixes a bug in handling special ship settings in trek.exe.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Thank u for the quick response and fix, I hope it was not too much trouble :)
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

No, it was simple fix :)
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

And it works so far. Only tested ship speed of 8 and it did not revert to 7, so ill raise my Rommie Ale to you kind sir ;)
Harcanis
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Harcanis »

DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

Because modding botf involves hacking?

On a more serious note - when I made the first version of UE I was in need of an icon and due to my fascination with the hacker culture at the time I came across that icon and liked it. I used it thinking I'll replace it by something more star trek in a later version. In my mind it symbolized growth/steady progress and that seemed somewhat appropriate for the project that I used to learn and hopefully later improve my programming skills. Mostly though I think I only learned to hack stuff together in a hurry :D

EDIT:

btw. Thanks for reminding me of this: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html

I'm almost there, just need some minor attitude adjustment and then someone here needs to call me a hacker :lol:

Return to “Ultimate Editor”