Ultimate Editor; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Re: Ultimate Editor

Post by Peter1981 »

Hi dcer, just a little problem with saving using UE0.7.2dev3 or UE 0.7.0c

I have been working on the GUI for the TOS MOD; replacing .tga's moddifying .wdf and saving and testing et al.
Howeever, I had just finished updating the diplomacy GUI for the federation and when to take a look and make sure everything was in the correct place and functioning,
  • hdiplomt.wdf
    hdmajbtn.wdf
    hdminbtn.wdf
    hd_rinfo.wdf
    hd_actev.wdf
    hd_dwar.wdf
    hd_gift.wdf
    hd_mrace.wdf
    hd_peace.wdf
All of these were no trouble except hd_peace.wdf which got corrupted on save and had to be replace and re-modded.

However
  • hd_warp.wdf
the final moddification that i did worked fine all the buttons in hd_war.wdf are where I want them all the textboxs are the correct new sizes etc...
But...
for some reason while the GUI editor shows the correct background hd_bkwar.tga, in game it's the old one!! :evil: :cry: :? and the correct fle is saved in the stbof.res (I checked with winrar) I even replace the original file with a renamed file and adjusted the .wdf but still it is the old background -- (from where??)
anyway just can't understand it. AFAIK the hd_bkwar.tga original was deleted by UE and then replaced when I added the new file?

In Game Image:

UE screen capture of hd_warp.tga showing correct background:
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

Hi Peter,

sorry, I've been busy and I won't have time to look at this until after monday. I'll have a look at it then. My guess is another wdf and tga file is involved.
Peter1981 wrote:AFAIK the hd_bkwar.tga original was deleted by UE and then replaced when I added the new file?
Yes. Because of this another tga must be at fault. Maybe the background for the entire screen.

@Mentat

Changing ownership was included at one point, but it didn't work properly as at the time not enough info about how to do it was known at the time.
Darth_Windu
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Darth_Windu »

Okay I have a bit of a bug here. In an attempt to make the home systems a bit more canon, I did things like changing the planet names (eg Romulus 2 = Romulus, Romulus 3 = Remus) as well as changing the planet types for a few of them, such as Remus.

I also changed the home planet for both the Romulans and Cardassians, and here is where I have a problem. For the Cardassians, there are two 'Cardassia III' but no 'Cardassia II', whilst for the Romulans, Romulus itself (just the planet, not the whole system) is gone!

Help?

EDIT: okay Romulus is back, but the Cardassian issue is persisting.
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

Hi,

thats a botf bug. You can get around it by re-arranging the planets from lowest id to highest: romulus, romulus I, romulus II, romulus III... same for cardassia. I'm not sure if UE is showing the id (I'm not at my pc) and you might have some trouble arranging them as they need to be sorted depending on planet type. This seems to be happening because botf takes the first planet that matches the name but doesn't check the string terminator. I could be wrong, but arranging in the order described helped.
Darth_Windu
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Darth_Windu »

That makes sense actually, I think you're right. I changed Remus to a Volcanic planet and Romulus 1 to a barren planet, and it completely screwed up the system in-game, but when I set them as their original planet types, it went back to normal. Maybe it's because I made Cardassia Prime a desert planet...
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Hi DCER,

I found a new bug in 7.2 dev3a, when ever you view any starbase or outpost in ship stats it will set scan range to 1?

Also I am not sure if it was a carry over from the older version bug about shipyards but even after moving (just to reset value in trek.exe) keeping them in vanilla building postion all ship yards are set to "0F" in trek.exe at 0x00039A96. After manully setting I had no problems. but have not edited any buildings.

thunderchero
QuasarDonkey
Code Analyst
Code Analyst

Post by QuasarDonkey »

Also a problem in UE 0.7.2dev3a: WDF editing is limited to 800x600. Would it be an easy fix to lift this limit to 1024x768? I need this for the new high-res version of BotF. I can provide a some larger WDFs/graphics if you need them.
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

thunderchero wrote:Hi DCER,

I found a new bug in 7.2 dev3a, when ever you view any starbase or outpost in ship stats it will set scan range to 1?

Also I am not sure if it was a carry over from the older version bug about shipyards but even after moving (just to reset value in trek.exe) keeping them in vanilla building postion all ship yards are set to "0F" in trek.exe at 0x00039A96. After manully setting I had no problems. but have not edited any buildings.

thunderchero
I've got this problem as well; however UE seems to set the scan ranges to the ship speed; except for outposts and starbases which have no speed and are set to 1. I think the save is copying the wrong data into scan range area.

Hope this helps DCER :)
Darth_Windu
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Darth_Windu »

As an update to my Cardassian planet issue, I discovered what the problem is - UE/BotF doesn't like roman numerals. No matter what I tried, there were always two 'Cardassia III' and no 'Cardassia II'. I also tried deleting Cardassia III, at which point Cardassia III was still there, but no Cardassia II.

I then changed the names back to arabic numerals - and it showed up as being two Cardassia 3's. One I changed them both to Cardassia 2 and Cardassia 3, they displayed correctly.

EDIT: also, how do you change the starting ship/s for various starting levels?
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

Hi everyone,

thanks for the bug reports. I've uploaded an update to fix the scan range issue (Peter you were right about what was happening) and the wdf preview screen will now resize based on wdf window size to allow higher res. TC, with the last update UE doesn't auto-set building ids anymore. The user needs to set them manually. In the case the building moves, the is should be moved accordingly.

Darth_Windu, this is a bug in trek.exe, using arabic numerals is a good work around as well.
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

Great work SCT :) as always to a high standard.
Tachyonfang
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Tachyonfang »

I wanted to speak with someone who was experienced with the UE program because I have a new function in mind for saved game files.
Call it "Empire Modification" or something like that. The basic flow would be :
1) Identify all of the systems you want to modify
2) Detail the end statistics you want for those systems
3) Make all the changes and save the new file
For example, if there were 5 systems you wanted to modify, you could identify them by name or possibly sector location in the game map. Or, perhaps you want to modify all systems currently controlled by the Federation. These are just 2 examples but you see what I mean. You might even be able to use an exception rule to allow you to change all Federation planets EXCEPT for certain ones (like Sol, for example).
Next, you would state what changes to make to the systems, much like using the UE now. Things like what empire currently controls it, what kind of a star it has, whether or not dilithium is present, what its population is, what its morale is, and how the population/labor pool is assigned.
Next, state what changes you want to make to the planets in the system. Things like each planet's type, size, atmosphere, bonuses, and terraforming status/points. If you only make up stats for the first 3 planets in a system, and one of the systems you are going to change has more planets than that, then the additional planets in that system would remain as they are. Also, if you attempt to apply changes to 5 planets in each system, and a given system only has 3 planets, then the changes you wanted to apply to the 4th and 5th planets should be ignored.
Finally, state what buildings should be in the system, again, much like the UE does now. What kind of building, how many, etc. For example, you might want to make all Federation systems have 30 Level (whatever) Databanks.
When you have entered all of the stats you want for your modified systems, you run the changes. The function would search for each of the systems, and apply all of your changes to each system, and then save the newly modified saved game file.
It would allow game testing to proceed at a much quicker pace, because you could essentially set your empire to whatever stats you want in just a few minutes rather than having to spend a lot of time either playing the game turn by turn or modifying the empire system by system.
Would such a program (or a change to the current UE) be doable?
--Tachyonfang
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Tachyonfang wrote:Would such a program (or a change to the current UE) be doable?
Doable is one thing, yes it would be, but time consumption to implement this is another, and that wouldn't be low.
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

Hi SCT,

thanks for the info, excellent work, it'll definitely be added.
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

Version 0.7.2dev4 is now uploaded and has the intel multpliers and extended shipname.bin support. Sorry it took so long. If you hit any bugs let me know.

Return to “Ultimate Editor”