Ultimate Editor

Ultimate Editor; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Lukas2409
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Ultimate Editor

Post by Lukas2409 »

I'm just about to give up on this game, I try to drag it out as long as possible, let all the empires become strong etc, I edited a couple things in UE. Saved myself a lot of time colonising 2 systems giving them their too equipment and making them self sufficient and my game does nothing but crash.

And I got told on another thread that it's because I edited a save game? I thought UE would be a great tool for reducing grind and having a quicker time of things. But it seems I was mistaken. Hoping someone here has some advice for me.

Anyway I understand UE destroys save games, for the record I play vanilla only. I cbf restarting or playing again, unless someone who knows UE can suggest a way to speed my game up if I start a fresh game?
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Lukas2409 wrote:I edited a couple things in UE.
(changes other than to saved game)

when are you editing things with UE, this many be your problem?

ALL changes should be made before you start your game. changes during a game will cause conflicts within saved game.

UE was created for making modding easier for people creating new mods, not for editing during game play to cheat. :wink:
Lukas2409 wrote:I try to drag it out as long as possible, let all the empires become strong etc,
have you tried starting AI races at a higher tech than your starting tech?
Lukas2409 wrote:I thought UE would be a great tool for reducing grind and having a quicker time of things.
could you explain what part of the game you feel is a "grind"? there are many mods and code changes that will reduce/change game play. and still have a vanilla feel.

It is very hard to suggest mods or changes without knowing what exactly you are looking to change.

thunderchero
Lukas2409
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Lukas2409 »

My apologies for not being clearer, basically the biggest grind for me is colonising a new system and bringing it up to scratch. Then I like to build a defence fleet for said system.

Which all takes a long time. I don't play multi player. Just solo.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Than I would suggest No Building Upgrades Mod 3.0

No_Building_Upgrades_Mod_4.0.exe

this mod is basically vanilla with error correction mod patches, But what is special about this mod, is the main buildings no longer have to be upgraded ever. It uses a tech level bonus each tech advancement.

Now other changes would speed things up greatly as well,

1. changing how many buildings are placed when colonized. but this will require hex editing.
2. you could also do an advanced colonization change to allow all building types placed when colonized. (major hex editing)

thunderchero
outerexodus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by outerexodus »

is agility the ship stat you need to raise to make ships harder to hit? looked quick in a few places and wasn't sure if there's more to it. sorry, and thanks for any help.
adi
Commander
Commander

Post by adi »

outerexodus wrote:is agility the ship stat you need to raise to make ships harder to hit? looked quick in a few places and wasn't sure if there's more to it. sorry, and thanks for any help.
Agility makes a ship able to maneuver better - i don't know how and if that counts toward staying alive or it just moves the ship faster graphically during maneuvers;
what you want is defense; chance to hit i think is calculated something like (ATTTACK of attacking ship - DEF of defending ship) - something based on the distance between the attacking and defending ship. Ship experience counts a lot too adding to accuracy and defense.
Oh and i forgot to say that attack is actually weapon accuracy of the attacking ship.
Hit Probability
mmobley1
Ensign
Ensign

Post by mmobley1 »

I thought this might be a good place to investigate my problem.

I am using the latest main multi file with ECML only. And I am in a game around turn 640 (yes a long game).

Everything is going fine, except when I try to liberate the Zakdorn from the Klingons, it crashes to desktop before finishing the turn processing. Nothing else triggers this crash (attacking, doing something else, etc) only when I try to liberate them and them only.

So, I did some checking, and saw something kinda weird. In the Summary box under relationships I saw a status of WAR between the Zakdorn and Cardassians. This was suspicious as the Zakdorn are subjugated by the Klingons, and normally subjugation Neutralizes all relations.

So I downloaded DCER's UE tool and did an integrity check on my save. Sure enough - Error: in alienInfo: The Cardassians have unknown an diplimatic status: 126.

So I have my problem, now I need to fix it. I have a hex editor, but I am really bad with it. Can anyone offer some assistance?
Assimilate this!
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

it sounds like it should be a simple fix,

you might want to upload your saved game to someplace where Flocke (he is the saved game expert) could take a look at it when he has time. But I know he has been busy.

and post the link or PM him with link.

thunderchero
mmobley1
Ensign
Ensign

Post by mmobley1 »

thunderchero wrote:it sounds like it should be a simple fix,

you might want to upload your saved game to someplace where Flocke (he is the saved game expert) could take a look at it when he has time. But I know he has been busy.

and post the link or PM him with link.

thunderchero
http://www.2shared.com/file/WQcnt6aK/game9.html this is the modified save. I tried to fix it by adjusting the bad data myself, then i changed the diplomacy level between Card and Zakdorn back to Neutral. Both settings did not seem to affect the outcome - still crashes the minute I invade Zakdorn.

http://www.2shared.com/file/nOvIdpgW/game9.html This is the unmodified (straight from the game) file.

I would really appreciate some insight into this problem. I have put many hours into this game and would hate to scrap it on a simple data bug :cry:
Assimilate this!
brianmcfa
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by brianmcfa »

I just developed a problem with UE_0.7.1b and I was wondering if anyone else had the same issue. After my last windows update (gotta love those) all my UE will do is flash the black DOS window. I have Win7 32 bit on a Panasonic CF-31. Undoing the update didn't help. Deleting and downloading UE again didn't help. Any ideas?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

update your java or run as admin would be first thing I would try.

thunderchero
brianmcfa
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by brianmcfa »

Still not sure exactly what the issue is but I do know it's not the UE now. After uninstalling and reinstalling Java, UE will work but only when I haven't opened Internet Explorer first. Not sure what IE does to make UE not work but it only does it on my laptop. It also doesn't do it when I use Chrome. Thanks Microsoft!
brianmcfa
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by brianmcfa »

I am trying to create a heavy colony ship using the UE. When I set the production value to 9, I get a colony with 10 population and about 30 factories. When I set it to 8, I get 5 factories and 50 population. I thought I read in another forum that initial populations up to 100 were possible. Is there something else I should be trying?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

brianmcfa wrote:I am trying to create a heavy colony ship using the UE. When I set the production value to 9, I get a colony with 10 population and about 30 factories. When I set it to 8, I get 5 factories and 50 population. I thought I read in another forum that initial populations up to 100 were possible. Is there something else I should be trying?
production mainly only has to do with how fast it will terraform (colony ships) to make the changes you want will require hex editing.

here is the post with info you would need.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=64&sid=94e2fb42afce ... 9d207b264b

thunderchero
brianmcfa
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by brianmcfa »

thunderchero wrote:
brianmcfa wrote:I am trying to create a heavy colony ship using the UE. When I set the production value to 9, I get a colony with 10 population and about 30 factories. When I set it to 8, I get 5 factories and 50 population. I thought I read in another forum that initial populations up to 100 were possible. Is there something else I should be trying?
production mainly only has to do with how fast it will terraform (colony ships) to make the changes you want will require hex editing.

here is the post with info you would need.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=64

thunderchero
Yep, that's the one I was looking for. Downloaded a Hex editor. Looked at it. Have a headache. ONWARD!

Return to “Ultimate Editor”