Ultimate Editor

Ultimate Editor; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re: Ultimate Editor

Post by Flocke »

thunderchero wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:48 am Is the "Master" the one I should be checking?
master is fine, although when you want to test with latest changes, use map_sys_gen branch I'm currently working on.
That one in turn is based on the cleanup_and_protect_system_properties branch where I did some code refactoring regarding systInfo and planet.pst. These changes are however rather game save related and change nothing on the issues you reported.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

thunderchero wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:05 am I was doing some editing on MUM, when editing the structure description on Breen placeholder ID 231
All these issues are fixed and pushed to https://gitlab.com/stbotf/ultimate-edit ... _tga_fixes
thunderchero wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:05 am after saving "list of modified files" was empty
That has been a display issue with some string abbreviation code I already messed up 7 months back. :roll:
thunderchero wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:05 am reloaded in UE and description was un-changed (still 100% weapon research local)
That's been caused because I missed to mark the edifdesc.bst file changed, and because...
thunderchero wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:05 am in game all descriptions after ID 231 is messed up (ID 231 description unchanged)
so it looks like it changed the edifice.bst for offset for edifdesc.bst, but did not change the edifdesc.bst
...with recent save optimizations I broke to save sneaking changes. :mad:

In addition to that I fixed some sneaking changes on the edifice file and the tga files I observed when checking the MUM file changes.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Now the time has come. I went out of tasks for the next big UE release. And while the changes aren't yet merged to the master branch and I didn't do any intensive testing, here comes a first pre-release for UE 0.9.0:

UE 0.9.0dev3
https://gitlab.com/stbotf/ultimate-editor/-/releases

The fixes and improvements are so massive, I believe it immediately should replace any former UE release. And if there are some bugs I missed that worked before, I am confident it won't take long to fix. Most of the time I guess it even can be work arounded.

While there are too many changes to list in detail, the main focus clearly was advanced save game editing and mod compatibility. For details on the countless other additions please check the change log. It by now has more than 400 lines of additions and fixes for this single release.

But as a disclaimer let me note once more, all that's found on those save game data structures by a great chance also applies to accessing the ingame data structures. Therefore much that I investigated for the save game editing also will go into the trek.exe framework that I plan for.
It likely again will take more than a year, but with UE save game editing we have a great sandbox for testing. And it shows what all is possible. :cool:

Happy testing and please report back on any issues you find!
Feature request best are collected in a seperate topic. I already lost track on what was requested.
Last edited by Flocke on Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

I fixed a minor glitch with the galaxy map star animation rendering and updated the pre-release. :wink:
It' s just a small rendering issue, so not any important, but it doesn't look like many have downloaded it yet anyhow.
Ascendant
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Ascendant »

Apologies - for my Java denseness ....

I have Java 8 installed and was looking for UE or UE.jar but only found UE.java in the directory structures

Should I run one of the batch files or something?

Thanks in advance ....
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Ascendant wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:41 am I have Java 8 installed and was looking for UE or UE.jar but only found UE.java in the directory structures
I think you overlooked the binary release download link but instead downloaded the source code. :roll:
UE_download_link.jpg
UE_download_link.jpg (35.63 KiB) Viewed 936 times
The source code assets are added by default and I can't change anything on it. But I tried to improve the description somewhat. I hope it is more clear now :!:

Edit: BTW thunderchero already added the UE 0.9.0dev3 release to latest "BOTF Top 10 mods 2.0.3" installer:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3509
:wink:
Ascendant
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Ascendant »

Got it - thanks !
Ascendant
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Ascendant »

Thanks to Flocke, Thunderchero and originally DCER for this utility.

It solved my issues and made the game more fun to play.

Great work !
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Ascendant wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:28 am It solved my issues and made the game more fun to play.
Great work !
Thx, has been a huge effort to get this version done!

There is alot that I didn't implement, but I think it is a great step ahead and now there are more important topics.
I mean, unless you find some serious issue to address. :mrgreen:

Has been great fun and I learned alot on Java coding.
Benman2785
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Benman2785 »

i get an error when i try to add a ship or load a shippack

when i use a ShipPack created with the old UE i get a null.pointer error
when i use a ShipPack created with new UE i dont see image of ShipPack Ships (but while they are created i see them - but not when i load them again)
Last edited by Benman2785 on Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Benman2785 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:19 pm i get an error when i try to add a ship or load a shippack
I will check, but please give some more details which mod etc. and a sample if possible :wink:
Benman2785
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Benman2785 »

i play Vanilla 1366x768
ue_new.jpg
ue_new.jpg (59.84 KiB) Viewed 861 times
no ship image with ShipPack created by new UE
D'Kyr.zip
(283.46 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
Last edited by Benman2785 on Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Benman2785
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Benman2785 »

ue_old.jpg
ue_old.jpg (59.25 KiB) Viewed 861 times
null pointer with old ShipPack - this does work flawless with old UE
D'Kyr_old.zip
(283.38 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
Benman2785
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Benman2785 »

ue_new_create.jpg
ue_new_create.jpg (58.96 KiB) Viewed 861 times
when i create new pack and export it shows ship image

btw - if there is a i_X270.tga - it would be nice if UE also adds this tga when importing and exporting
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

thx, I'll check on it when I find time

Return to “Ultimate Editor”