Ultimate Editor

Ultimate Editor; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Ultimate Editor

Post by thunderchero »

will UE allow you to save to different location (so it does not overwrite file) example; My documents
AlexMcpherson79
Commander
Commander

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

yeah that worked.

edit: wtf now its worked on the trek.exe in nbul folder anyway ... (?)

could it be when windows still thinks its open?

edit 2: now that trek.exe wont run

I should note, I used the large taskforces patch on it, and its the 1366 version installed through AIO. sorry forgot to say earlier.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

AlexMcpherson79 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:53 am yeah that worked.
good
AlexMcpherson79 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:53 am edit: wtf now its worked on the trek.exe in nbul folder anyway ... (?)
did you move the trek from my doc to nbul folder?
AlexMcpherson79 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:53 am could it be when windows still thinks its open?
possible
AlexMcpherson79 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:53 am edit 2: now that trek.exe wont run
hope you have backup
AlexMcpherson79 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:53 am I should note, I used the large taskforces patch on it, and its the 1366 version installed through AIO. sorry forgot to say earlier.
did you you test after each change? (did you test before and after patching 18 fleet task force?
AlexMcpherson79
Commander
Commander

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

okay, it was the task force patcher. Not a programmer (any hex editing I did in the past was basically following instructions here) so I dont know how to say properly, but is there <something> that the patcher does that renders UE unable to create a new exe or whatever it is its trying to do when it gets to "cannot delete trek.tmp"?

Also the windows UAC symbol appears over the .exe's icon after being modified maybe? I unins and reinstalled the NBU mod and did all my trek.exe edits in UE with the task force patch last. (well, I just increased the number of stellar objects for large galaxies.)
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

yes, any open program such as botpatcher (QD patcher) or task force patch can cause UE to error "Couldn't delete Trek.tmp"

Hope that explains your issue.
knosch
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by knosch »

alte Version wo bei mir das bearbeiten von einen game save mit Systemen verschieben funktionert

https://www.file-upload.net/download-13 ... j.zip.html
Dewbacca
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Dewbacca »

I may have missed an easy answer to this issue since others aren't having it.

Trying to open UE (installed from Multi Mod) and no java installed.

According to the readme:
To run the editor you need Sun's Java Runtime Environment version 6. Last time I checked, it was available here:
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
There I find JDK13.0.2 and download it assuming the latest version would work. It does not.

After installing that version and double clicking UE.jar a window opens and immediately closes. This is mentioned in the readme:
In the rare case the editor fails to run this way try double clicking on run.bat (or run if Windows hides the extension).
This also does nothing conclusive... so I admit to being a JAVA novice and submit my ignorance before the court of knowledgeable ones. I've used UE before, but that was a different computer a LONG time ago.

RESOLVED:
readme gives an old download location and apparently the JDK is a developers kit and the files required to execute .jar can be found here:
https://www.java.com/en/download/win10.jsp

I hope by providing answers to my stupid questions it, in some small way, makes up for asking them in the first place.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

you just need java

as you stated the JDK is for developers

here is link for java for windows 10
https://www.java.com/en/download/win10.jsp
Dewbacca
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Dewbacca »

Using UE I edited buildings and most of my edits worked fine.

But for some odd reason 2 of them did not. I lowered the tech requirement for charge collectors and they are not showing up in the build menu and made Starfleet Academy available at every system and like the charge collectors it's not showing up in the build menu.

I have gone over both buildings several times and cannot find any issues. I am open to suggestions.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

1. you must start a new game to see most structure changes
2. after any structure change you should always "Auto-set all" with UE using edit/starting conditions/starting technology to get changes to build at correct tech level.
Dewbacca
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Dewbacca »

It was #2...
I did start a new game after changes, but this is the first time I have heard of needing to "Auto-set all", which I found by opening the stbotf.res in UE and going to edit/starting conditions/ starting technology.
I made no "changes" beyond previous edits, merely hit the autoset button and voila, worked like a charm.

You really don't get enough credit for your intimate knowledge of the game and modding tools, or your prompt and courteous service to this community. I'd email you a beer, but I won't risk it spilling in/ on your computer.
Borealis999
Ensign
Ensign

Problems with Ultimate Editor

Post by Borealis999 »

Hi There,

I'm not sure if this has happened to anyone else and, with 55 pages of posts, it would have taken me an age to have a look. I tried to do a search but I couldn't find anything. So I apologise if this has already been answered.

I have been playing BotF All in One V1.0.1 for quite a while now but I have recently had to reset my laptop. I was able to use all of the different games as well as the UE. Now I can't use the UE because when I try to open the stbof.res I get a dialog box that says:-

"Couldn't open stbof.res – file not found: race.rst”.

When I press the “OK” button it displays another box that says:-

“Sorry, I can’t open this file”.

What have I done wrong? Can someone please help me out?

Many thanks.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

have you tested the game to see if loads?

if it does and that file is present I have no idea.
Borealis999
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Borealis999 »

I only did a partial reset of my laptop, it might have been that. I was having other issues as well so I reset it back to factory settings. It seems to be working now. Thank you for giving it some thought, my friend :)
intuitive
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by intuitive »

Hey All,

Can someone help me out with a basic question.

What does beam range effect? I mean the min/max. Looking at the values of various ships I was always surprised to see min torpedo range is less than mix beam range. I just naturally assume that torpedo min range should be higher than beam since it's unlikely they would be as effective short range....

Is beam range more relevant to firing arcs or something?

Thanks

Return to “Ultimate Editor”