BotF Patcher; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

adi
Commander
Commander

Re: BotF Patcher - 22-Aug-2013 Update

Post by adi »

Thanks Tethys,

That sounds just like what i have now on the mod i play. I must have installed it some time ago, or it came with UDM3 or with MPR++. I thought this was a new patch.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

yes, the only thing QD added (from what I read) to the patch was:

Re-cloak during system attack bug-fix:

The fix auto de-cloaks task forces when ordering "attack system" and prevents any re-cloaking until another order is given.
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
matress_of_evil
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander
Location: South Wales - Not The Australian One, The Other One!

Post by matress_of_evil »

Not sure if it's something I'm doing, but this updater screws the game up for me. Every time I try to install one of the patches (any of them), the game becomes totally unplayable. When I load BOTF, the screen goes black. I then get a white horizontal line across my screen for 1-2 seconds, then I get an error message saying BOTF has crashed and Windows is checking for a solution. The only way to fix it is to reinstall the game from scratch.

To check i'm doing it right, you select one of the patches, click install, then click apply, right?
Check out the latest news for Star Trek: Supremacy, Birth of the Empires and more at Star-Trek-Games.com!

"Anyone without a sense of humour is truly at the mercy of the rest of us."
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

are you using cd install? all patches are based on jokers/multi installer trek.exe that is a little bigger than 1.0.1 trek.exe

thunderchero
matress_of_evil
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

I'm using the "Birth of the Federation (full game) Multi installer Must have for new mods" version of the game. No mods installed at all. So either i'm doing something wrong or it's incompatible.
Check out the latest news for Star Trek: Supremacy, Birth of the Empires and more at Star-Trek-Games.com!

thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

strange, that should be working can you give more info on what you are doing?

you should execute "bof_patcher.exe"
browse to botf folder and select trek.exe
select the patch or patches you want
select install
then select apply
close patcher

that's it and they should be applied

thunderchero
matress_of_evil
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

That's exactly what i'm doing.

I've done some further checks and it looks like a few of the patches were conflicting. I installed them a few at a time instead of all at once, and that seemed to get around most of the problems.

"Raiding Fixes 1-4" and "Raid fix wrt bankrupt empires" seem to be specifically causing some problems though, and they're sometimes hilighted in red too, so the program seems to be noticing there are problems with these two as well, so i've left those out.

brianmcfa
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by brianmcfa »

matress_of_evil wrote:That's exactly what i'm doing.

I've done some further checks and it looks like a few of the patches were conflicting. I installed them a few at a time instead of all at once, and that seemed to get around most of the problems.

"Raiding Fixes 1-4" and "Raid fix wrt bankrupt empires" seem to be specifically causing some problems though, and they're sometimes hilighted in red too, so the program seems to be noticing there are problems with these two as well, so i've left those out.
I just downloaded Vanilla 1.0.2 and installed the current Patcher as of 10/21/13 and I'm having similar problems. The Raiding fixes caused issues for me as well.
brianmcfa
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by brianmcfa »

I also just had the "Ship stats pop-up bug" come up with issues. I hadn't added it yet though. This popped up when I added "Disable experience bar for ships you don't own". I skipped it and went down the line adding them one at a time, then it allowed me to add the ship stats update without going red. I also went back and added the raiding fixes again and it seemed that if I added the 1-4 patch first it allowed me to enter the other one without crashing the game.
brianmcfa
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by brianmcfa »

brianmcfa wrote:I also just had the "Ship stats pop-up bug" come up with issues. I hadn't added it yet though. This popped up when I added "Disable experience bar for ships you don't own". I skipped it and went down the line adding them one at a time, then it allowed me to add the ship stats update without going red. I also went back and added the raiding fixes again and it seemed that if I added the 1-4 patch first it allowed me to enter the other one without crashing the game.
Okay, I take that back. After testing, I went back into the Patcher and it had the Raiding 1-4 in red again so I took it out. It also told me I hadn't updated the other raiding patch and wanted me to install it again. I also had the "Better Colonies" do an alert after I installed most of the enhancements. Took it out and put it back in and it seemed to run fine.
QuasarDonkey
Code Analyst
Code Analyst

Post by QuasarDonkey »

I'm really not sure what to do about the conflicting patches. Different mods use different patches. Having them in there allows those patches to be uninstalled and new ones installed. However, most people (myself included) can't tell which patches are old and which are new.

Maybe I should add a new tag for OBSOLETE patches. That way we could keep them in the database, but people would know not to install them in new mods.
EnPhreg
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by EnPhreg »

@QuasarDonkey
from your color explanation for the patcher GUI:
bright red with !: it's not installed or it's not vanilla
are you mean with 'it's not vanilla' in that case, that the patch itself is installed but not vanilla anymore? so the patch itself is modified?

greetz
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

EnPhreg wrote:@QuasarDonkey
from your color explanation for the patcher GUI:
bright red with !: it's not installed or it's not vanilla
are you mean with 'it's not vanilla' in that case, that the patch itself is installed but not vanilla anymore? so the patch itself is modified?

greetz
each patch has 2 sets of code
vanilla (unedited)
patch code

if it is red 1 or more bytes does not match. it could be either the patch code or vanilla code.

this mostly happens when a single value has been edited within the patch code by modder

each modder gives personal touch to code changes.

Return to “BotF Patcher”