BotF Patcher - 22-Aug-2013 Update

BotF Patcher; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

QuasarDonkey
Code Analyst
Code Analyst

Re: BotF Patcher - 19-Sep-2012 Update

Post by QuasarDonkey »

Oops, the DLL patch shouldn't have been there. I've removed it. Not only is it missing the launcher, but as I discovered recently, there's no need to convert Trek.exe to a DLL in order to use it as a DLL (which sounds a little strange, but it's true).

Alex: I've taken a quick look into the "Raid fix" red-lighting, and on the raiding fixes page:
SpocksCuddlyTribble wrote:Note: The 'Raid fix wrt bankrupt empires' and previous changes to system defense have to be redone after this!
So I guess it's just not compatible, and thus I should either remove it, or mark it as obsolete?

Does anyone know if the 'Raid fix wrt bankrupt empires' is necessary anymore? ECM3 doesn't use it.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

QuasarDonkey wrote:Does anyone know if the 'Raid fix wrt bankrupt empires' is necessary anymore? ECM3 doesn't use it.
here is a quote from SCT in raid 1-4 post
Note: The 'Raid fix wrt bankrupt empires' (see above) and previous changes to system defense have to be redone after this!
So I am not sure if he ever added any changes for Raid fix wrt bankrupt empires or if it was part of new code?

thunderchero
Storko
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Storko »

Can anyone tell me which patch limits minor race tech level advancement to your empires current level? I was using the patcher (which is great by the way), applied numerous patches to a few mods, and ended up with the undesired effect of having minor tech level advancement being the same as in the error correction mod. Thanks in advance.
QuasarDonkey
Code Analyst
Code Analyst

Post by QuasarDonkey »

I think the one you're looking for is: "Minor races: corrected difficulty level bias & pop growth".
Storko
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Storko »

Thanks for the help.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Hi everyone,

I just noticed this great topic/tool was getting lost on page 2. so topic is now sticky topic.

thunderchero
QuasarDonkey
Code Analyst
Code Analyst

Post by QuasarDonkey »

Thanks thunder. I guess now is a good time to ask: are there any feature requests / new patches that anyone wants? Has anyone spotted any bugs?

I don't actually use the patcher since I actually don't do any modding myself :oops:
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Well, perhaps if its not too much trouble, ship/buildings costs of over 65535 would be nice, but UE does not support that so idk.

OH, additional Tech levels would be one to add. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1531
I have since cracked the Techs to allow up to 0-20 (21) for each field by using value 7F in place of value 71 @ 0x534A3 and values 13, 14 and 15 in place of 09, 0A, and 0B throughout (the values used in the above topic reflect 16 Technology levels, not 21). Tech description file would need to be updated with additional techs as well, some of which are still being written.

Another problem I have is the inability to give buildings tech requirements of over 9, but this could also be incompatible with UE.

If you have the time, I know you are busy with many things and a peon such as myself can only hope and dream :mrgreen:
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
adi
Commander
Commander

Post by adi »

This peon also hopes and dreams :razz:
QuasarDonkey
Code Analyst
Code Analyst

Post by QuasarDonkey »

W.R.T. to ship/building costs of over 65535, I don't think this is possible right now. I know for ships, the build cost is stored in a 16-bit number. 2 to the power of 16 = 65536, so possible values only range from 0 to 65535.

I'll see about adding the tech levels patch though. UE does error-checking to only allow tech levels from 0 to 10. It could easily be modified to allow setting higher values -- but it might not necessarily work in BotF. I'll look into this a little later.

I also forgot to put in the large galaxies patches.
rawsy
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by rawsy »

isnt this the fix you guys are refering to??

viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=464
QuasarDonkey
Code Analyst
Code Analyst

Post by QuasarDonkey »

No, that's not the same one. That fixes a problem where the total cost of an upgrade exceeds 65535. Thanks anyway though.
That link you posted does directly state that individual building/ship costs are 'short', meaning 16-bit, which means they have a maximum value of 65535. This is actually a limit within the STBOF.RES file formats, not just in Trek.exe.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Blast! I suppose I will be fiddling with ship costs and production values again. Thanks QD for the info :)

Also, UE has support for adding Tech in the Technology Fields screen when Experimental Feature is checkboxed. FYI. UE does NOT, however, update the trek.exe locations needed to make them work in the game. That's still a Manual Process<- (AFC topic) where all "with" values would be 13, 14, and 15 for 0-20 or 21 technology fields. 71 changes to 7F for 20 techs.

Updated Values
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
rawsy
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by rawsy »

rawsy wrote:isnt this the fix you guys are refering to??

viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=464
ok sorry. could the fix i was refering to be added? i am just playing a game where i had to applie it. im sure it would be helpfull to others.
QuasarDonkey
Code Analyst
Code Analyst

Post by QuasarDonkey »

It's already there listed under "Upgrading Buildings bug (fix)". I might reorganize all the patches into groups for the next release to make them easier to find.

Return to “BotF Patcher”