Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

mpr++ 0.2.5a

Post by Flocke »

Post closed,

See this post for latest info
MPR++ v0.2.6c open for alpha testing

Hey all, to not flood udm or christmas thread with mpr++ related issues, please use this topic instead.

update: fixed character repetion (chat/save)
update: switch chroma/alpha transparency mode via ini
in mpr++.ini activate RENDERMODE=MPR_CHROMA (by removing the # infront) for buggy transparency if mod isn't adjusted to use alpha in palettes instead :!:

download not available anymore

Story:
Some might remember I once tried to develop a new network engine for botf (actually not 'for' botf but like the graphic engine compatible to :mrgreen:). That project got balked, I still missed experience and had a hard time with RL so didn't manage to finish it like I wished for.
When I found time for programming again, some interesting 'insight' to old mpr engine ;), more and more reported graphic issues (partially also experienced myself) and seeing all the hob trouble bugg'in modders, I wanted to see if it's possible to replace that damn old mpr97 graphic beast and gave it a try. That was some time last year, before gowron sadly disappeared (I still hope he's alife and well up and some time will shows up again :|).
Again I encountered lots of troubles but always found a solution and learned ALOT by it. Alot on botf, on c++ programming and also assembler. And I enjoy it alot too, so am happy to spent my free time on this - maybe not as much as I did last days :roll:

Now managed to get a first fully playable version done compatible to botf, all mods and even multiplayer (ha surprise). Always found it annoying to play fullscreen, now you can run windowed or select different resolutions. Botf will scale but 1024 project (thumbs up for this cool project) and other resolutions are supported, too.
You even can run multiple instances, connect on same system and have your hotseat session if you want. :mrgreen:

Speed is not optimal yet, that's mainly cause 3D rendering currently is dependent on old botf rendbead render system already converting data to 2D before it get's to the graphic engine, and also cause I didn't find an easy way to identify and reuse vertex buffers but recreate them every frame. Furthermore it doesn't seem to work well on some old systems with slow graphics.
But for 3D that's just a temporary as we'll get rid of hob format, bsp trees and rendbead all together but use replacement ships.

Thanks help and kicks of Quasardonkey :) I began work on replacement ships. With lots of analysis on rendbead I found position and rotation and lots of other data and can identify ships (or better to say their viewable models, no ship data yet) over frames and render anything I want in the exact same position and orientation, that's what replacements are and they are already fully supported.
You can change the rendermode in mpr++.ini, have a look to the INI-Manual, you find many more options.
If I'm right and santa didn't change this, for testing purposes in 3D mode there's already one replacement ship for the federation included, have a look, enable both modes MPR|3D to compare (remove '#' infornt [mpr] and RENDERMODE=MPR|3D).
Sadly ships can't be replaced in part but all have to be replaced at once, and there's still some work on phasers, animations and other effects missing so 3D mode is disabled by default.

But that's not all, I also successfully managed to skip & replace whole combat, but while replacements are mp compatible, implementing a new combat isn't and still requires ALOT of time I don't have right now.

Furthermore mpr++ itercepts all input allowing for some new input options. ;)

While I probably could continue to fill 20 more pages on mpr++, give it a try, find out yourself, enjoy and leave some feedback.

new controls:
f6 opens fps info
f7 shows an ogre3d (the graphic engine behind) test mesh
f8 toggles fullscreen
f12 takes screenshots and saves timestamped in screenshots folder
ctrl /strg key can be used for mouse repeat + shift = faster repeat (useful for build menu)
on map you now can move faster and diagonal

Known bugs and issues:
  • MPR mode combat rendering is slow:
    either get a faster pc or wait for 3D mode ship replacements ;)
  • Ship Textures are partially transparent 'have holes':
    that's due to chroma key and just about right, we'll get rid of the problem by replacing the textures and deactivate chroma key but use alpha transparency (also allowing for semi-transparency)
  • ship textures stretch on close view: that won't be fixed, instead wait for replacement ships
  • progress and load game doesn't show up but view freezes during that time
    that might be fixed another time, it's a bit complicated, so you've to live without for now
  • screensaver doesn't work
    disabled it by feeding botf with mouse position though you don't move it (workaround) cause it crashed the game for unknown reasons. Might implement a new one another time.
  • stars render above ships
    could be fixed but I rather replace the whole background rendering
Thanks
One thing always making me so excited on this community is all the modders still believing in this great game, so I wanna thank you all, nm if you did make it to get a release done for christmas or not.
I'm sure there are lots cool things to come, so looking forward to it. :D

While thanking for modders and community as a whole, and ofc the mandatory thank to every nameful contributor by single [place in your names here] (hey, did anyone count the bugfixes released by SCT? :lol:), the installer by thunderchero and lots of endurance and encouragement by many, I also want to give big thanks for all the talk and ideas with thunderchero, anjel and ofc my buddy KrazeeXXL High Five Hive! :D
Please no ranking, love you all, without you botf for long would be dead! ;)
Last edited by Flocke on Wed May 21, 2014 10:08 am, edited 9 times in total.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re: mpr++ 0.2.5

Post by Flocke »

ruthlessferengi wrote:win mod rocks (don't change to full/windowed in battle, crashes)
Just tested (UDM 3.0.1d), works for me. What resolution you're at, how many ships, what races/types, is there an exception in last line of mpr++\ogre.log or an error in mpr++.log? does it say mpr++.dll crashed or trek.exe? can you provide a savegame to reproduce or does it happen always?
Might be an issue with ogre and your graphic card. :roll:
But might also be I've to fix texture reload on device restore.
Does it also happen when in techtree ship database view?
ruthlessferengi
Multiple Tournament Champion

Post by ruthlessferengi »

a couple of crashes, full mode, just between turns.. playing klings vs roms, mp.

ST:BOF Sat Dec 24 20:39:34 2011

Version Under Test: 72
File: ..\..\source\universe\readrace.c, Line: 257, 0
Initialize State: 31
Player Empire: 3 Starting Seed: 1324777174
Galaxy shape: 0 Galaxy Size: 2

-------------------------------------
ST:BOF Sat Dec 24 20:58:13 2011

Version Under Test: 72
File: ..\..\source\universe\readrace.c, Line: 257, 0
Initialize State: 31
Player Empire: 0 Starting Seed: 1324778293
Galaxy shape: 0 Galaxy Size: 2
Last edited by ruthlessferengi on Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

ruthlessferengi wrote:a couple of crashes, full mode, just between turns..
you sure those were not older crash logs?

if you notice those are galaxy generation crashes no turn listed (nothing to do with MPR++) but I should note SCT warned about new corner check code could give this if you do not wait for movie to load to allow proper galaxy generation.

thunderchero
ruthlessferengi

no more logs... had several battles in full and win mode, all stable

ruthlessferengi

DefaultWorkQueue('Root')::WorkerFunc - thread 0x1808d0 starting.17:49:44: Mesh: Loading ch2_a.mesh.17:49:44: WARNING: ch2_a.mesh is an older format ([MeshSerializer_v1.40]); you should upgrade it as soon as possible using the OgreMeshUpgrade tool.17:49:44: Mesh: Loading ds9.mesh.17:49:44: WARNING: ds9.mesh is an older format ([MeshSerializer_v1.40]); you should upgrade it as soon as possible using the OgreMeshUpgrade tool.17:49:44: Mesh: Loading akira.mesh.17:49:44: WARNING: akira.mesh is an older for
ruthlessferengi> crash in mid turn
mp, kling vs dom, res 1680 by 1050, vista

Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

no these are no exceptions, that's just some warnings on older mesh format and common ogre stuff
if there is an exception, it's last line only and begins with [Exception] or the like.
You didn't read what I asked for, did you?

Please tell me more on the conditions when exactly you encounter these crashes and what is in the message box you get when it crashed. And try vanilla or different mod cause this also might be related to UDM or UDM+mpr++ only.
And also tell me more on the resize during combat issue.
ruthlessferengi

Flocke wrote:
ruthlessferengi wrote:win mod rocks (don't change to full/windowed in battle, crashes)
Just tested (UDM 3.0.1d), works for me. What resolution you're at, how many ships, what races/types, is there an exception in last line of mpr++\ogre.log or an error in mpr++.log? does it say mpr++.dll crashed or trek.exe? can you provide a savegame to reproduce or does it happen always?
Might be an issue with ogre and your graphic card. :roll:
But might also be I've to fix texture reload on device restore.
Does it also happen when in techtree ship database view?
no mention of crash anywhere in files mentioned... i don't have any crashed in battle... i am not in tech tree... in planet screen going to main game crashes... it happens randomly... i have auto.sav and last.sav if u need it.... this may be random crash of botf

Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

randomly and no logged exception is bad, sounds much like botf
switching planet build menu to galaxy or main menu is doubtful to be caused by mpr++ but rather does have other causes

but next time it crashes, take attention if mpr++.dll or trek.exe or something else crashed in message box shown by windows
if it simply states trek.exe crashed, it's probably not mpr++ related, though I can't say for sure.
Also report if you encounter such issues with other mods when you give them a try as new UDM includes many updates and has high demands. ;)

what I asked about techtree, initial quote was from your post in udm thread, there you talked about a different bug, a crash on window resize fullscreen/windowed during combat. Does that happen in techtree with 3d ship displayed as well or just in combat?
Is there anything in the log when you do this and is it a random bug too?
Your short sentences and talk on multiple bugs aren't that helpful but make it a bit confusing as I didn't experience such crashes myself yet. :roll:
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Crash, GALM latest version 0.3.0a and mpr++ 0.2.5 from downloads page. This is on Research screen clicking on any ship model other than the first one. Trek.exe encountered a problem and needs to close.

Ive updated drivers, installed every mpr version I could find but still crashing :(

EDIT2: I fiddled with the mpr++.ini file and got it working. Wow! So much work, but well worth it ;)

EDIT: It seems to *possibly* have something to do with the model being "left open"? Some models work, and it seems to be the older < 8 phaser models, see screenshots:

http://i39.tinypic.com/2uszps9.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/16ay9w2.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/i5rs5s.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/i5rs5s.jpg
Reason I think its the newer models is because when I went back into the research for ships:
http://i41.tinypic.com/xwsg9.jpg
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

yes there's probably a problem with some ship models, either they are corrupt or I missed a packet type used in GALM but not in vanilla or UDM.
I'll have a look into this, but please remove your and ruthless log, it doesn't list any exceptions or errors (last line only would be important) and is just about normal. The warnings I'm aware of and can be disgarded.
If there's need for the full log I'll ask for. ;)
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Ive done it Flocke. It seems fiddling with the mpr++.ini file has done the trick for me at least. Thanks for all the hard work man, I was just a little frustrated that I couldnt get it working but some other could. I found out that the ini is set up for Nvidia mostly. I disabled the VSYNC stuff and deleted the # in front of the [mpr], ill just paste my ini settings:

#TinyConfig Start
[system]
FRAMECYCLEMAX=50
[display]
#DISPLAY=GAMMA|FSAA_QUALITY
FSAA=4
VSYNC=0
[mpr]
#RENDERMODE=3D
#TinyConfig End

I am checking all models now. :D

EDIT: Its back to crashing again... I dont get it :?

EDIT2: Ok, I think whatever you have mpr doing before and during combat, needs to happen when entering Research screen to view ships. After doing a combat I can see all ship models in research screen whereas before I got trek.exe crash.

EDIT3: Enlarging screen with F8: http://i44.tinypic.com/301zlo3.jpg
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

thanks man, I'll have a look into this, if it happens for me too, I'll investigate and fix it, currently am not at my desktop. ;)
If not I'll have to think, but if it always happens with same ships in techtree screen, and doesn't happen with vanilla/UDM, it's very probable not to be system specific.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

One more thing I noticed. It (the crashing) happens mostly after a force close of trek.exe. Its assumable that the combat is not being properly loaded? until actually entering combat?

Consistently I was able to force close trek.exe and start a new game, models crashing in research screen. Consistently Ive been able to go into combat, resolve the combat, go into research screen, and view models without crash. Also able to start new games, view models, as well as closing the game down entirely and restarting it, viewing models with no crash. F8 seems bugged, dont remember if I posted the screenshot.

Hope this debugging helps :P

EDIT: Backspace button gets 'stuck' (press it then try to save the game, what fun! :lol:)

EDIT2: Is this what you need? Ogre.log:
17:53:23: D3D9 device: 0x[0x35ba6a0] lost. Releasing D3D9 texture: DynBotF_Texture
17:53:23: Released D3D9 texture: DynBotF_Texture
17:53:23: D3D9 Device 0x[0x35ba6a0] entered lost state
17:53:23: !!! Direct3D Device successfully restored.
17:53:23: D3D9 device: 0x[0x35ba6a0] was reset
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Just tested with GALM 0.3.0a, no crashes on any ship of any race under any condition, neither in ship database nor combat. :?
Tethys wrote:One more thing I noticed. It (the crashing) happens mostly after a force close of trek.exe. Its assumable that the combat is not being properly loaded? until actually entering combat?
force close? you mean close by taskmanager?
tasted that, no problem here
Tethys wrote:Consistently I was able to force close trek.exe and start a new game, models crashing in research screen. Consistently Ive been able to go into combat, resolve the combat, go into research screen, and view models without crash. Also able to start new games, view models, as well as closing the game down entirely and restarting it, viewing models with no crash.
tried that, no crashes
Tethys wrote:F8 seems bugged, dont remember if I posted the screenshot.
not that I know of :roll:

please check if it works on another system for you and if under same conditions udm/vanilla crash as well.
as I currently have no multicore system, that could be an explanaition, too :roll:
Tethys wrote:EDIT: Backspace button gets 'stuck' (press it then try to save the game, what fun! :lol:)
known bug ;)
Last edited by Flocke on Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “MPR++”