MPR++ Vanilla crashes on startup on Windows 10 x64

MPR++; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: MPR++ Vanilla crashes on startup on Windows 10 x64

Post by thunderchero »

Snapper9 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:13 am But it is difficult for me to get the game run in fullscreen mode instead of window mode, although I made the correct choice during the install process.
The all in one installer "tools" options only controls non mpr++ install.

MPR++ requires you to change the "mpr++.ini" in the MPR++ folder.

look for this line;
#DISPLAY=FIXEDASPECT (note this line is turned off by default, the "#" must be removed before this line will be read as instructions.)
change to
DISPLAY=FULLSCREEN
Snapper9 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:13 am By the way, after installing both the All in One Installer and MPR++ I have only one link on the desktop and one in the Windows Start Menu. Both of them link to the following folder: "I:\Games\Birth of the Federation\Vanilla\trek.exe" This is exactly the trek.exe I'd start if I start the game "directly" as you recommended. So this never was an issue.
example; If you install "tools" before you install vanilla or any mod the installer will set a registry to your option selected. here are the 3 possible options;
1. Set Icons to use Fullscreen DxWnd Command line arguments
2. Set Icons to use Windowed DxWnd Command line arguments
3. Use original icon paths

If 1. is selected the target of the shortcut should be "C:\botf\tools\dxwnd_Fullscreen\dxwnd.exe /R:1" (vanilla shortcut example)
if 2. is selected the target of the shortcut should be "C:\botf\tools\dxwnd_windowed\dxwnd.exe /R:1" (vanilla shortcut example)
if 3. is selected the target of the shortcut should be "C:\botf\vanilla\trek.exe" (vanilla shortcut example)
Snapper9 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:13 am Is it correct: As soon as MPR++ is installed there is no way to use the dxwnd-version of the game untill I completely uninstall BotF and reinstall the All in One Installer without MPR++?
MPR++ has a separate uninstaller in start menu "Uninstall MPR++ Demo" running this will not uninstall "all in one"
Snapper9 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:13 am I'm just still wondering, what MPR++ is good for.
1. MPR++ was the first solution to the windows 8/10 mouse lag issue.
2. MPR++ uses an improved graphic engine with model shading and lighting.
3. MPR++ is an example of how the original game can be modified to use dll injection to improve the game and to add new functions.
Snapper9
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Snapper9 »

So if I don't experience any mouse lag issue the only advantage for me are more nice graphics during 3d battle?
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

I'm still not sure what went wrong for you, the link I sent didn't include the 1024 version, however somehow it corrupted your stbof.res it seems.
Anyhow, when you're lucky with the botf vanilla graphics there's really nothing you'll miss. That's why I already proposed to try dxwnd both in the mpr++ pm as well as in my first response this topic.

Further, given your previous comment, be aware that installing mpr++ and dxwnd is rather an exclusive option. Both mess with the botf rendering so it might well break when trying 'em both.
Snapper9
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Snapper9 »

Well I guess there is something about the setup process I don't understand. I'll do an experiment installing MPR++ again in the next days and see what's happening. I'll report back soon.

Return to “MPR++”