Yet Another BotF Clone

Yet Another BotF Clone; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

AlexMcpherson79
Commander
Commander

Re: Yet Another BotF Clone

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

Say, um... *shifty look* we getting a christmas present this year? it's just that, to me, the number 13 is kinda lucky (unlike for others), and I got botf as a present back on a certain day in 1999 so, you know, thought I'd try my luck.

hell, just firm knowledge of where you're at (with associated graphical proof, if you will) would be nice to know.

yeah I know, I'm cheeky.
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

this years christmas ist 20 ->12<- tough. so you'd have to wait another year
Public BotF / EF2 Teamspeak 3 Server: 83.169.13.55
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

AlexMcpherson79 wrote:Say, um... *shifty look* we getting a christmas present this year?
After last year I would say no, Deadlines like that are next to impossible to keep. Also as Dr_Breen pointed out it might be best to hope for next year. (we would be lucky to see a demo by this christmas with no AI or combat ect)

Also on a side note, it looks like QD has been absent since sept 28 (last visit from site info) So he could have started new job or short vacation or just been busy with real life.

thunderchero
AlexMcpherson79
Commander
Commander

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

Dr_Breen wrote:this years christmas ist 20 ->12<- tough. so you'd have to wait another year
but it was released in 1999 and I got the game christmass of 1999 so that means that this christmas will be 13 years later. next year will be 14 years later and I'm not a fan of either the number 2 or 7.
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

All hands to the IDE s!
AlexMcpherson79 needs a present this chrismas. Nobody goes to bed before not writing at least 5000 lines of code.
Public BotF / EF2 Teamspeak 3 Server: 83.169.13.55
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Dr_Breen wrote:Nobody goes to bed before not writing at least 5000 lines of code.
I'll write a little tool for that and sleep while it writes. :lol:
Actually I spent this weekend to grab and compile latest Ogre3D, Boost and CEGUI from source so I can work on updating mpr++ again.
Hell of a mess, specially with CEGUI as I'm using MinGW and have to rely on their unstable branch with broken CMake scripts and further get Python module work. But whom I tellin', you've no idea of this anyway, I just tell, i's a mess.
With CEGUI and Python I'm not done yet, but they offer no SDK anymore and previous releases would have ment other troubles but building from source too, crap. :(
QuasarDonkey
Code Analyst
Code Analyst

Post by QuasarDonkey »

Am I sensing a little hostility here? :o

I've made good progress in refactoring and finishing the internal components, but nothing visual that I can show. I'm hoping to get it into a complete/robust enough state to open-source it soon. There's still some basic things that need work though. It's also become apparent that the game is far too big a job to finish alone, at least in any reasonable amount of time. Hopefully we can build a playable demo by Christmas.

I've just been a bit busy lately between job-searching and playing minecraft, and I have another job interview this week.
Flocke wrote:
Dr_Breen wrote:Nobody goes to bed before not writing at least 5000 lines of code.
I'll write a little tool for that and sleep while it writes. :lol:
Curious. I actually have a custom code generator in the BotF clone for generating all the boilerplate code for the GUI. It generates roughly 5000 lines of code from spec files I made for each WDF.
Flocke wrote:Actually I spent this weekend to grab and compile latest Ogre3D, Boost and CEGUI from source so I can work on updating mpr++ again.
Hell of a mess, specially with CEGUI as I'm using MinGW and have to rely on their unstable branch with broken CMake scripts and further get Python module work. But whom I tellin', you've no idea of this anyway, I just tell, i's a mess.
With CEGUI and Python I'm not done yet, but they offer no SDK anymore and previous releases would have ment other troubles but building from source too, crap. :(
I was thinking of using CEGUI too. But I think it's hideous. I'd be very impressed if you could write "hello world" in CEGUI.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

QuasarDonkey wrote:I've made good progress in refactoring and finishing the internal components, but nothing visual that I can show. I'm hoping to get it into a complete/robust enough state to open-source it soon. ... Hopefully we can build a playable demo by Christmas.
cool :D
QuasarDonkey wrote:There's still some basic things that need work though. It's also become apparent that the game is far too big a job to finish alone, at least in any reasonable amount of time.
true, that's the problem with it, you need to have the time, more time, and even more...
In mind it's all so simple but there's always the detail of getting all things work like they should
That's what got me to try modify old botf rather than doing an own project and maybe you give it another try too and see how to combine efforts with clone project.
But no matter, looking forward to what you get done and hope I'm getting along on mpr++ too again.
Still struggling with CEGUI right now, what nut got me to choose CEGUI? crap! :lol:

Good luck with your job interview! :)
QuasarDonkey wrote:I was thinking of using CEGUI too. But I think it's hideous. I'd be very impressed if you could write "hello world" in CEGUI.
Well I used CEGUI before when it's been more coupled with Ogre. It's quite powerful and flexible, and writing a simple "hello world" isn't that complicated. Still there's lots to learn on cegui and it has it's quirks. Further it does have almost no active community but two developers. That's kinda sad for that it's a widely known library, but it's always been so as far I remember.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

QuasarDonkey wrote:Am I sensing a little hostility here? :o
Nah, no hostility here. as I always say, "it will be ready when it is ready no sooner" deadlines can be problematic.
QuasarDonkey wrote:Hopefully we can build a playable demo by Christmas.

That would be great, But if it is delayed I would understand and I hope others would understand as well. :wink:
QuasarDonkey wrote:I've just been a bit busy lately between job-searching and playing minecraft, and I have another job interview this week.
I am glad to see you back and hear of your progress and good luck on your interview.

hold on..... minecraft? I guess everyone needs a distraction. 8)

thunderchero
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

thunderchero wrote:hold on..... minecraft? I guess everyone needs a distraction. 8)
minecraft is great! that can't be too much of a distraction :lol:

edit: cegui works now but had to disable one minor compiler optimization - probably a compiler bug
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Bump.... 8)

thunderchero
QuasarDonkey
Code Analyst
Code Analyst

Post by QuasarDonkey »

Hey. I've had some time recently to do some more work on this. I wanted to get some nice screenshots first, but since you asked... Basically, I've been working on getting the networking part done. After that's working, we'll have something very close to a playable demo :)
jonesie85two
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by jonesie85two »

QuasarDonkey wrote:Hey. I've had some time recently to do some more work on this. I wanted to get some nice screenshots first, but since you asked... Basically, I've been working on getting the networking part done. After that's working, we'll have something very close to a playable demo :)
amazing, this is fantastic
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

great news =)
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Flocke wrote:great news =)
Agreed this is great news. :D

while my bump was just to get topic back to the top. (new info was very nice to hear)

now I have questions..... But I am sure you will explain what features demo will have when the time comes.

thunderchero

Return to “Yet Another BotF Clone”