Yet Another BotF Clone

Yet Another BotF Clone; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

ajax
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Re: Yet Another BotF Clone

Post by ajax »

so can we create new ship assets from scratch for this with larger polygon counts ??
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

i guess so. it depends on what kind of 3d engine QD is going to implement. however anything will be better than what we have in the original botf
Public BotF / EF2 Teamspeak 3 Server: 83.169.13.55
toffeeblue
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by toffeeblue »

QuasarDonkey wrote:You're right. Even with good programming practices, it can be difficult to avoid such bugs in C and C++. But nowadays there are a lot of profiling tools available to help with that sort of thing. On Linux, I use a program called "valgrind". It has an awesome memory leak detector. It even tells you what lines of code the memory leak started on.

Good programming practices in C++ include a technique called RAII (Resource Acquisition Is Initialization). It's worth looking into if you never heard of it (you basically wrap any dynamically allocated resource with a class, and let the class destructor handle the deallocation of the resource; like smart pointers). And of course other good techniques include paying attention to compiler warnings, always declaring a virtual deconstructor for base classes, etc.

It's not really surprising that BotF had memory problems and the developers didn't think of using a memory checker. I've been programming C/C++ for years, but I only discovered such tools around last year.

Fair play. You remind me of Geordi La Forge with some of that.
AlexMcpherson79
Commander
Commander

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

Been playing BotF earlier today, and I'm expanding from 20 to 50 colonies (10 subjagated Ferengi worlds) and the biggest hassle when I'm Tech 10, is when you think of how many turns it takes to fully develop a colony with a massive pop size. Take one of the rare 600-pop systems.

Assume, throughout, use of high industry or buy to maintain quickest development.
say, 5 or 6 automated farms. But Colony ship II puts down three. So straight away 3 turns.
But it only puts down 1 or 2 (my mod is 3) industry buildings. And to get anything building fast, and especially upgrades of the other buildings, you need a lot. Generally, I'll have a colony running around MaxPop -minus 10. so that 600-pop system is *50*.

so yeah, 50 turns. But what about power? And Intel? And Research? 5/Ind+5 for the others. aka 5 power to start with, and 5 more than how many I build for industry.
so, 5, 55, 55...

3, 47, 5, 55, 55... now assuming that upgrades are performed once industry can one-turn them, or enough dosh to one-turn... and going from tech 1 to tech 9...

3+8, 47+8, 5+8m 55+8, 55+8. 205 turns. Then add in all the other buildings, and well....

So your clone... will it be possible for someone to give both extended build queues, predictive build list (aka upgrade to tech 2 farm is on your list, after that you could build tech 3, so queue it right after,) and of course, that nice one we love in Supremacy... that if the industry output exceeds the remaining credits/whatever left to build the current item, it gets that far into the next item, with the handy point that if it's putting 3000 through, with current having 200 left and the next 2 being 800, all three would finish on same turn...
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

@AlexMcpherson79:
the goal is to get a BotF clone in the end. So it should be as much like Botf as possible. bugs can be fixed but the actual game mechanics should remain as they are right now.
after that we can still edit the source (which will be completly available so anything can be changed) and make it the way we like. just think of it as a mod of the botf-clone.
jonesie85two
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by jonesie85two »

I just thought that i'd pop in and say that this project s worth everything the community can give. I wish i could help you work; instead, i'll just wave some pom poms around. Thank you for your effort. I am looking forward to the new generation of botf.
jonesie85two
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by jonesie85two »

sorry for interrupting but can i have an update on your projects. i mean absolutely no disrespect to you or your team. Thank you ;-)
QuasarDonkey
Code Analyst
Code Analyst

Post by QuasarDonkey »

Hey y'all. Thanks for the support. Unfortunately not a lot of progress has been made in the last two months. I have done some work on related projects though, and I've only recently gotten back to work on this again. I'm hoping to get the ball rolling now.
jonesie85two
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by jonesie85two »

QuasarDonkey wrote:Hey y'all. Thanks for the support. Unfortunately not a lot of progress has been made in the last two months. I have done some work on related projects though, and I've only recently gotten back to work on this again. I'm hoping to get the ball rolling now.
Your efforts are greatly appreciated. :-)
QuasarDonkey
Code Analyst
Code Analyst

Post by QuasarDonkey »

Time for a cursory screen shot:

While the project has slowed down, it's far from dead. I've finally (almost) finished rewriting the GUI library code (that's what was holding everything up). It's virtually identical to BotF, and is virtually bug-free :)

The actual game GUI is also coming along nicely (all that code had to be rewritten for the new GUI library). I'm hoping to have the whole GUI wrapped up soon so the real work on game mechanics, networking, etc., can begin. Bear in mind it's still just a glorified SAV-file viewer.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

sounds great, and you know we will wait as long as it takes :wink:

I mean most of us have dealt with this game in it's current form for 12+ years.

thunderchero
jonesie85two
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by jonesie85two »

Well Done! I wish you luck with this project. I cant tell you how deperate i am to see this project in its completed form. I wish i had the skills to help you with it.
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

awesome
anjel
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by anjel »

looks primising !!!

keep up with the hard work :D
liambauckham
Ensign
Ensign

Post by liambauckham »

forgive me for being a bit slow but ive only just discovered this project. so are you re-writing BOTF form the ground up? if so that is amazing

Return to “Yet Another BotF Clone”