Tutorial for added ship models with UE With new ship packs

HOW TO: add ship models with UE (ship packs); support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

sanityfreezone
Ensign
Ensign

Post by sanityfreezone »

Error Correction Mod uses channel "8" for all ships is there no way to change this?

I'm trying to add the Daedalus class in and it's on Phaser Channel 4
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

sanityfreezone,

The best way to over come this is simple.

example using fed ships.

create ship pack from ECM with some of the fed ships (4-6 ships).

rename one slot to "H" add 2 ships to "H_" and "H__" from ship pack from ECM this will free up 2 slots for ships with different phasers amounts.

thunderchero
sanityfreezone
Ensign
Ensign

Post by sanityfreezone »

ah i see now...thanks!

Another question: I am trying to create a game without colonys. Would there be way to have a ship that could terraform but not colonize? or to just start the game with 1 colony ship but not be able to build anymore?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

sanityfreezone,

this post explains how to change starting ships.

viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=10103#10103

thunderchero
Reap
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Reap »

Hello Everyone

I have a question. I downloaded & installed the pallete.rar file, as a result my pallette level was @ 80. When I changed each ship's image a message appeared- "Error-Texture index 328 not found". I clicked the ok button each time & the installation continued. Meanwhile my pallette level increased with each additional ship added. Is this normal? Or did I mess up the pallete.rar installation? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thx
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Reap wrote:Hello Everyone

I have a question. I downloaded & installed the pallete.rar file, as a result my pallette level was @ 80. When I changed each ship's image a message appeared- "Error-Texture index 328 not found". I clicked the ok button each time & the installation continued. Meanwhile my pallette level increased with each additional ship added. Is this normal? Or did I mess up the pallete.rar installation? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thx
1. correct I misstated total palettes in post it should be 80
2. "Error-Texture index 328 not found" not sure why this happened but yes with latest ship pack for UDM it will give this error mesage but there are only 213 texture and does not effect adding ships from what I can tell.
3. yes when any ship is added palette count will raise unless palette match one already used.

thunderchero
Reap
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Reap »

Sounds good, thought I messed up along the way. Many thanks thunderchero. :D

Reap
Marowi
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Re: Tutorial for added ship models with UE With new ship pac

Post by Marowi »

I am having trouble doing a "simple replacement" under Example 1 from the original post. I import the models over the old models I want to replace, save, update trek.exe when prompted, and no error message appears. When I run the game, the old models are present instead of the new models that I replaced. There seems to be no problem building and using them, oddly, even though I supposedly deleted their files. Any reason why this might be? Using UE 7.1.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Hi Marowi,

are you adding it to the correct version? (if you have any mods installed)

what model are you trying to add? And where are you trying to add it to? (vanilla, UDM, BOP)

thunderchero
Marowi
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Marowi »

I'm trying to add it to the vanilla Multi English/German 1.02, and I do not have any Mods installed (though I have made changes to things like ship/building/race descriptions, portraits, etc.--but nothing so far to do with ship graphics).

I'm using models from New Ship Pack 2--I've actually tried with multiple models from that ship pack, such as Akira HH2 and HV, and Excelsior 3BT.

Am I missing a critical step?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Marowi wrote:Am I missing a critical step?
from your description I would say no.

You should check to see if UE shows the ships, look at add/remove ship models and ship stats to see if the ships have been added.

if they are not there, did you save to correct location? do you have permission to save to that location?

thunderchero
Marowi
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Marowi »

So, I made a copy of the game directory in a separate path for use as a sandbox as I figure everything out. Turns out, running the copy of trek.exe runs the game files in the original game directory--not the copy. Or, in other words, the unmodified files. A n00b mistake, for sure. You probably ran across this yourself at some point, but in case someone else has an issue, this is also a possibility.
QuasarDonkey
Code Analyst
Code Analyst

Post by QuasarDonkey »

Marowi wrote:So, I made a copy of the game directory in a separate path for use as a sandbox as I figure everything out. Turns out, running the copy of trek.exe runs the game files in the original game directory--not the copy. Or, in other words, the unmodified files. A n00b mistake, for sure. You probably ran across this yourself at some point, but in case someone else has an issue, this is also a possibility.
It's a good idea to keep backups, I do it too. But you need to modify STBOF.INI to tell it where the data files are. Edit these lines in STBOF.INI in the copied folder:

Code: Select all

CDPATH=C:\games\botf\
HDPATH=C:\games\botf\
Set them to the folder with the copy.

However, I've had weird issues with multiplayer when running from copied installations. I think the installer puts some stuff in the registry, so you can only play MP on the installed version, but you can play single player on the copies, which makes them excellent for testing.

Return to “HOW TO: add ship models with UE (ship packs)”