HOW TO: make new Botf 3d Designs, the Video Tutorial

HOW TO: make new Botf 3d Designs, the Video Tutorial; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robert_defore »

Thnx Dr Breen, sorry Ive been looking at this screen for too long now. I am having trouble getting the creator to pick up on the texture mapping I did in 3ds max. I am including a link to my 3ds model and the textures gif file. Could someone check and see what the problem is, I am all out and have watched several tutorials without any luck.

http://www.4shared.com/file/4mcMMMxI/Daedalus1.html
http://www.4shared.com/photo/WEXmBsHF/Daedalushull.html

Thnx.
robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robert_defore »

Must have been a program error, works fine now. Going for first conversion attempt , wish me luck. I will post my results later as a ship pack. Will still be going in to modify the texture some more. Just a few areas I dont like.

Ok bad news. I am running Win 7 Home Premium. All conversions worked until I get to the hottohob conversion. "Program has stopped working" error. Anyone else encounter this. I am going to install on my laptop to see if it will work. Anyone know , just respond to this thread plz. Thnx.
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

never ran into the program has stopped working error using the conversion filters. i always used win 7 with no problems, except for 3ds max where i have to disable windows aero when using it
Public BotF / EF2 Teamspeak 3 Server: 83.169.13.55
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

open hot file with hex editor and look to see if "vertex number" is above 5000

if so model has too many polygons to convert.

thunderchero
robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robert_defore »

No Poly count is 653 and vertex count is around 1200. Should be good, its not too complicated a model. Like I said it still needs work. But I am running Vista on my laptop , got the same error. It just stops working and closes. I checked to see if I got any output from the program, nothing.

Does this program need to be run on a 32bit operating system, all I have at present installed are 64 bit OS.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

does the command prompt close?

thunderchero
robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robert_defore »

Yes, and it attempts to send an error report. I have installed an old version of XP but it is not working on here either. Could there be an error with something else. I noticed after all the conversions, the objects.lst file is still reporting a 0 kb size, while the other .lst files all have contents of some sort.

I am going to use a dual boot of 32 bit vista as soon as I get it installed , to see if that will clear up the problem.
robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robert_defore »

Ok I will upload my flt and gif to my 4shared. I think there is a problom somewhere else. I have tried 64 bit Win 7, Vista, XP. I have also tried 32 bit of Vista, nothing works. If these files do not work on your system then I will have to start over.

http://www.4shared.com/file/bD0zun0n/ns_a.html
http://www.4shared.com/photo/KzLfGj_q/ns_a.html

Let me know if you can convert these. If so then I dont know what the problem is.Thnx
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

I had same problem as you.

and have no clue what is wrong with model.

thunderchero
robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robert_defore »

Well at least we know it is the model now. I will try something very simple and see if I can get the process down. Then I can get back to making new ships and stations.

Thnx for the hlp TC
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

i successfully converted it to .hob after doing the following changes:

-changing texture type to .gif
-moving your bsp tree into a "group"

so the new order is:

database-->group1-->bsp tree

instead of:

database-->bsp tree

here's the edited .flt and the .gif

http://trek.eberlenet.ch/breen/ns_a.flt
http://trek.eberlenet.ch/breen/ns_a.gif

oh and there's a missplaced polygon in your bridge section, it does not affect the seperation, but it will become visible in botf, i thinks it's supposed to show the inside of the bridge trough the glass (nice idea btw :-) ) but its turned by 90 degrees right now.
robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robert_defore »

Thnx for fixing that for me Dr Breen! I will get it and work on the model some more. The idea to see through the glass came after I was finished with the texture and model for the initial run. But your right about seeing the bridge, just dont know if it would be big enough to see in game or not.

On scaling, the model is already to real life scale in both 3ds and creator, 1 meter = 1 meter, but to use TCs scale in conversion, I need to make the length overall = 30 meters then change scale on conversion 1.5 scale = to 150 meters 35.0 scale = 3500 meters , correct?
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

you got it,

in creator you set the overall length to 30 unitsand as i guess the daedalus is 115 meters long you use -s1.15 scale to have the right lenght.
anjel
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by anjel »

i know the problem was solved, but it doesn´t harm just to say, when i run DOS i do it as administrator in win 7 64bit.
Live long and propser
robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robert_defore »

Tried to use five textures with my Ptolmey Model, UE is only showing me with the option for four textures. Is the limit four , I could have swore some one else told me they created a model with up to six or seven textures. I am using the .71 or .72 version of the UE.

Return to “HOW TO: make new Botf 3d Designs, the Video Tutorial”