Creating New 3D Ship Designs

Creating New 3D Ship Designs; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

MrD
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by MrD »

Pigman wrote: The warp engines, neck and command pod at front of ship are all still a bit green. Do you think I should reduce the green in these areas also or do this in conjunction with adding a little green to the grey areas?
My personal feel would be an entirely grey ship would be great.
Some sections green, some sections grey might look a little like the textures were collected from several sources.
Pigman wrote: This is good news and as I hoped/suspected. Question though. Can the ship be smoothed selectively, as I only want the spherical areas smoothed?
Well, when we look at what Dr_Breen did with his DS9 model, selecting only specific parts should be no problem at all.
Pigman wrote: Unless you're a young attractive female, using "MrD" as an alias and my wife's not watching, I'll pass on the kiss!!

Regards

Pigman
1. Yes last time I checked that alias was justified.
2. I said that I COULD not that I would. :wink:
3. It was purely figure of speech, like your statement that I was a diamond, otherwise I need to change that alias into "Mr_Tholian_infiltrator_of_Earth" :lol:

I'm curious what place will the D10 take in the mod?
jonboylondon
Captain
Captain

Post by jonboylondon »

It will be the Klingons ship to go toe to toe with the Excelsior.... :wink:

JBL
Monks: Pie Jesu Domine, dona eis requiem
[bonk!]
Pigman
Commander
Commander

Post by Pigman »

Mr_Tholian_infiltrator_of_Earth (AKA MrD) said
My personal feel would be an entirely grey ship would be great.
Some sections green, some sections grey might look a little like the textures were collected from several sources.
OK, that's the kind of feedback I need, so I guess I'll at least tone down the green on those sections, if not take it out altogether. Maybe also add a little green to grey sections after talking to JBL.

MrD also said
1. Yes last time I checked that alias was justified.
2. I said that I COULD not that I would.
3. It was purely figure of speech, like your statement that I was a diamond, otherwise I need to change that alias into "Mr_Tholian_infiltrator_of_Earth"
Yes, I knew it was just a figure of speech and that you said COULD not would. My response was my pathetic attempt at humour and wasn't meant to cause any offence in any way. I never thought you really wanted to kiss me!!!

BTW I still think you're a diamond (or maybe a dilithium crystal).

MrD also said
I'm curious what place will the D10 take in the mod?
Not sure if you'll be pleased by this or not, but having discussed with JBL, it looks like it'll be the Klingon Uber-Ship and hopefully able to have a reasonable chance in battle against Excelsior class.

This of course, makes the final quality of the model even more important, so I may tweak it a bit before asking Dr_Breen/jigalypuff to separate it etc.

My best regards to MrD,or is that Mr_Tholian_infiltrator_of_Earth?

Pigman
MrD
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by MrD »

Pigman wrote:
Not sure if you'll be pleased by this or not, but having discussed with JBL, it looks like it'll be the Klingon Uber-Ship and hopefully able to have a reasonable chance in battle against Excelsior class.

This of course, makes the final quality of the model even more important, so I may tweak it a bit before asking Dr_Breen/jigalypuff to separate it etc.

My best regards to MrD,or is that Mr_Tholian_infiltrator_of_Earth?

Pigman
LOL, we'll figure out something to call me.

Hmm, sounds a little strange.

Perhaps as a counterpart to the Constellation as a "supercuiser"?
Personally as a couterpart to the Connie refit would be the bast place for her :wink:
The Excelsior could better be coutered by this:
Pigman
Commander
Commander

Post by Pigman »

Hi MrD

As the D10 is not really canon, I think the view is that we can make her a little better to handle excelsior and I believe that's the way it's going.

But thanks for your views and suggestions. If you want the ship you've shown to take on the Excelsior class, take it up with JBL.

Regards

Pigman
MrD
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by MrD »

I already proposed the the empror class before, in the thread for this mod. The idea was rejected back then and you have already decided what ship to put in that place.
There is no use riding a dead horse.
Pigman
Commander
Commander

Post by Pigman »

MrD said
I already proposed the the empror class before, in the thread for this mod. The idea was rejected back then and you have already decided what ship to put in that place.
There is no use riding a dead horse.
To be fair JBL's Creative Director of the Mod and it's primarily his decision. When I started doing D10 it was just to see if I could and thanks to a lot of assistance from yourself, Dr_Breen and others, I've been able to get this far.

I had no idea that my ship could have been used in this mod when I first started and being honest I am delighted that it's going to be used.

Regarding other ships, JBL's asked me to look at doing a D5, but bearing in mind Excelsior's going to be about the best there is in this mod, I don't think bigger, more powerful ships will get used.

Regards

Pigman
Pigman
Commander
Commander

Post by Pigman »

Hi All & JBL

Is this more like what you had in mind. Silver grey bits are greener and dark green bits are lighter and greyer, plus new texture on top of ship?

Regards

Pigman
jonboylondon
Captain
Captain

Post by jonboylondon »

Yeah that looks better now...u can see a shape/pattern before it was a grey plain almost and too smooth....

Good stuff!!

JBL
[bonk!]
MrD
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by MrD »

Indeed, this is a great improvement, gives the ship a more "real" feel.

As for being fair, there is no need to apologize that your ship was chosen, it is certainly a wonderful piece of work.
However I did find it odd that my proposal was dismissed because it is a non-canon ship and that the D-10 was put in that place...because it is a non-canon ship.
In my book that is a rather strange logic.

What kind of D5 are we talking about?
There was no Enterprise material to be used if I remember correctly, does this mean it will be the SFB D5?
It's a ship that was built after the D7.
In that case one of the three different D4 proposals would work equally well.
Pigman
Commander
Commander

Post by Pigman »

MrD said
Indeed, this is a great improvement, gives the ship a more "real" feel.
Thanks for that. Hopefully this is near enough final version.

MrD also said
As for being fair, there is no need to apologize that your ship was chosen, it is certainly a wonderful piece of work.
However I did find it odd that my proposal was dismissed because it is a non-canon ship and that the D-10 was put in that place...because it is a non-canon ship.
About the logic, you are right of course. I believe initially the idea was to use either nothing or as little as possible non-canon. Obviously this is not possible, but when you asked about Emperor class I believe that was the prevailing sentiment, but by the time I finished my ship, things had changed.

There is also strong resistance to anything from Enterprise from within the group, but ultimately this will have to be compromised on to allow tholian, gorn ships and Klingon D5.

I've picked up some D5 info and possibly this is the ship I need to draw.

Looks a little bit more difficult than D10 and I won't be in a hurry to do it until D10 has been proven to work and I also have Tholian and Gorn interfaces to produce.

As you can see, the plans don't quite match the picture(s) so will have to watch the 4 episodes of Enterprise that had this ship in.

Regards

Pigman
jonboylondon
Captain
Captain

Post by jonboylondon »

MrD wrote:Indeed, this is a great improvement, gives the ship a more "real" feel.

What kind of D5 are we talking about?
There was no Enterprise material to be used if I remember correctly, does this mean it will be the SFB D5?
It's a ship that was built after the D7.
In that case one of the three different D4 proposals would work equally well.
Actually it was never dismissed by me - just Dr Breen stated it was not cannon. :wink:

I think there may well be some enterprise stuff in here such as Tholian ship, and according to Daystrom ships were continued to be used by the Klingons from the Enterprise Era (D5/D7) far into the TOS era so we have a little leway...Have u got a good picture of this ship?

http://members.fortunecity.com/sfc2auxspacedock/kce.htm

This one is a bit naff... :roll:
[bonk!]
jonboylondon
Captain
Captain

Post by jonboylondon »

I love that D5..... :P

Seems almost to advanced in its design for the era!!
[bonk!]
Pigman
Commander
Commander

Post by Pigman »

Hi JBL

So the D5 in the pics is the one you're thinking of.

Not sure if pic on left is artist impression, but it doesn't match the plans.

Regards

Pigman
MrD
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by MrD »

You always find a loophole don't you? :wink:
Well the drawings in some of the ST magazines are sometimes quite imprecise, for example some of the Defiant's drawings are based on outdated material, when she was supposed to be some kind of supersized Runabout "Hot Rod"

Specs for the Emperor
(From Klingon Academy)

Information on the Klingon Heavy Battlecruiser is extremely limited, although it is thought that her weapons loadout will be slightly less than the discontinued Ber’taa’s armament loadout for this vessel. Her class designation is the Emperor class (VoDleh). This vessel, to some degree, was designed by Klingon naval engineers to replace, in conjuction with the Accuser DN, the abandoned Ber’taa hull. It does carry one of the new heavy photon tubes recently made available by Klingon scientists. It also is a four engined vessel, sporting two nacelles above and below the rear section of the ship. (Historian's note: This vessel may have been a direct predecessor to the Vor'cha-class attack cruisers of seventy-plus years in the future).

SPECS:
Length: 412 meters
Mass: 670,000 metric tonnes
Crew: 450
Marines: 55
Maximum Impulse: 1,230 kellicams per second
Hull Rating: 3.7
Shield Rating: 57.5
Maneuverability Rating: .33/.19

WEAPONS:
Forward: 4 disruptors, 1 heavy photon, 2 particle cannons
Aft: 3 disruptors, 2 particle cannons
Port/Starboard: 3 disruptors each

Tactical Discussion: These ships are powerful, with decent shields and weapons, but average hull strength. They pack greater firepower than the equivalent Federation battlecruiser, the Excelsior, but give up shield and maximum speed advantages for this greater firepower. They are extremely competent ships, and rare enough that command of one is only granted to the best commanders in the Klingon fleet. They tend to be sector flagships when a dreadnought is not available, which is often. Currently, there are about two dozen hulls in service, with another six under construction at any given time. Build time is considerably less than the larger hulls in the fleet, as this ship is built on a lengthened and strengthened D7 platform. However, the ships share few components, so build time is well over two years from the laying of the keel until trials.

Pics:
(oh my whoever made that model you showed there was probably blind and asleep)

Screenshots directly from KA

http://img146.localhost-textreplaced/im ... 9/emp1.jpg
http://img189.localhost-textreplaced/im ... 6/emp2.jpg
http://img44.localhost-textreplaced/img44/361/emp3.jpg

Pics from a model someone made for Bridge Commander:
http://screenshots.filesnetwork.com/8/f ... 3068_2.jpg
http://screenshots.filesnetwork.com/8/f ... 3068_3.jpg
http://screenshots.filesnetwork.com/8/f ... 3068_7.jpg
http://screenshots.filesnetwork.com/8/f ... 3068_6.jpg
http://screenshots.filesnetwork.com/8/f ... 3068_5.jpg

*edit* here are some additional pics for the D5 that might prove useful:

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/D5_class

**second edit** that loophole part refers to the fact that the D5 reference for the TOS era comes from the fact that an old almost senile Klingon warior called his ship (the Klothos) a D5, although the Klothos doesn't look anything like a D5 :)
Last edited by MrD on Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Creating New 3D Ship Designs”