HOW TO: Reduce the number of Palettes

HOW TO: Reduce the number of Palettes; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Reap
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Reap »

thunderchero wrote:if you get this file from my post above it will lower a fresh install to 80

Lower palette files

thunderchero
Sounds like a great tool, how is it installed?
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Reap wrote:
thunderchero wrote:if you get this file from my post above it will lower a fresh install to 80

Lower palette files

thunderchero
this is only effective on a fresh install of 1.0.2 (vanilla install) unedited.
unzip
add all files with UE or winrar to stbof.res

Note: all textures are reduced to 256x256 so file are compatable with hades. And custom torpedeo and explosions were created by thunderchero
credit should be given in readme if released in mod. no other permission is needed

thunderchero
Last edited by thunderchero on Wed May 12, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reap
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Reap »

thunderchero wrote:this is only effective on a fresh install of 1.0.2 (vanilla install) unedited.

And custom torpedeo and explosions were created by thunderchero
credit should be given in readme if released in mod. no other permission is needed
Just adding a few ships but if I do make an MOD you'll get full credit, that's some great work you did there & on UDM 3 as well. Cheers. :D
Reap
Borg
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Borg »

thunderchero wrote:
Reap wrote:

Lower palette files

thunderchero
this is only effective on a fresh install of 1.0.2 (vanilla install) unedited.
unzip
add all files with UE or winrar to stbof.res

Note: all textures are reduced to 256x256 so file are compatable with hades. And custom torpedeo and explosions were created by thunderchero

thunderchero
I am very sorry for this late posting you said only on a fresh install of 1.0.2 unedited, so its 100% no no for 1.0.3 dam. Becouse I was planing to re do my mod for 1.0.3 becouse that the version I have been modding or should say learning my self to mod, but if it only works on version 1.0.2 that fine I just use that one no worrys :D
Borg
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Borg »

I have try it with verson 1.0.3 and it works fine, I was unsure to try it or not so it dose not matter about the above posting.
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

1.0.3 uses the same .hob models as 1.0.2 does, together with the same but resized textures. it is not really a mod, it just fixes some game bugs. so using the lower palette files for 1.0.3 works fine
Public BotF / EF2 Teamspeak 3 Server: 83.169.13.55
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Borg wrote:I have try it with verson 1.0.3 and it works fine, I was unsure to try it or not so it dose not matter about the above posting.
This is because it already has the file in the mod. normal install of error correction mod (it is no longer called 1.0.3) palette is at 80

But they will not work if ship pack option is used.

thunderchero
brianmcfa
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Re: HOW TO: Reduce the number of Palettes

Post by brianmcfa »

Well I wish I had found this before I started adding ships and trying to decrease the palettes manually. I'm debating if it'd be easier to start over or muddle on.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

brianmcfa wrote:Well I wish I had found this before I started adding ships and trying to decrease the palettes manually. I'm debating if it'd be easier to start over or muddle on.
it could be worse I could send you my ship pack collection 71 ship packs (many duplicate models) and a couple unreleased packs with new scaling method (more accurate) all with 8 phasers and 1.0 scale.

thunderchero
brianmcfa
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by brianmcfa »

thunderchero wrote:
brianmcfa wrote:Well I wish I had found this before I started adding ships and trying to decrease the palettes manually. I'm debating if it'd be easier to start over or muddle on.
it could be worse I could send you my ship pack collection 71 ship packs (many duplicate models) and a couple unreleased packs with new scaling method (more accurate) all with 8 phasers and 1.0 scale.

thunderchero
Yeah that'd be great. I'm currently sitting at 166 palettes. I think starting over may be easier as I hadn't done much for races and buildings yet. What I did do isn't too tough to duplicate as a lot of it is just taking Stardust's data and transferring it over. Do your ship packs use the same palettes or are they all different or some combo in between?
brianmcfa
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Re:

Post by brianmcfa »

thunderchero wrote:
AlexMcpherson79 wrote:Could someone do a 'vanilla botf-reduced pallettes' pack by any chance?
if you get this file from my post above it will lower a fresh install to 80

Lower palette files

thunderchero
After I did this, I get a "Texture Index 328 Not Found" error when I try to change ships using the UE. Is this normal and is it a problem?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

this maybe a problem with the ship pack not the lower palette files. try a different ship pack.

I know there was 1 ship pack that gave this error.

thunderchero
brianmcfa
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by brianmcfa »

thunderchero wrote:this maybe a problem with the ship pack not the lower palette files. try a different ship pack.

I know there was 1 ship pack that gave this error.

thunderchero
I seem to get it on every add/delete/replace I do. I played a few turns after I added and it didn't seem to affect the game when I took one of those ships into battle. I also did a reinstall of the Vanilla 1.0.2 and the palette files since I hadn't done much else. Maybe I didn't add them in correctly. I went to the files screen on UE and then just added them all directly from the unzipped palettes folder then saved. Was there another method?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

just tested and getting same error, not sure why and not seen it before.
brianmcfa wrote:Was there another method?
yes, but let me test it first check back later tonight or tomorrow.

thunderchero
brianmcfa
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by brianmcfa »

thunderchero wrote:just tested and getting same error, not sure why and not seen it before.
brianmcfa wrote:Was there another method?
yes, but let me test it first check back later tonight or tomorrow.

thunderchero
One other thing I noticed that may or may not be related: When I replaced a ship, it sometimes didn't remove the old graphics files. For instance, if I replaced the vanilla Galor with any other ship I noticed that the palettes still went up. When I went into the textures section and scrolled down the file list, the old Galor's .gif files were still there and so was its palette. I would have to remove them manually to get rid of that palette.

Return to “HOW TO: Reduce the number of Palettes”