model phaser standards and ship scale; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

ISS_Voyager
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Starship SCALE

Post by ISS_Voyager »

Arrraggghhh!!!

I just finished making the mistake of mixing ship models from a bunch of different mods, and now all of the ships are not to scale!

Most are ok but the Excelsior and Akira are like these gagundamondo mosters compared to the tiny little Constitutions and Mirandas buzing around.

Is there an easy way to change the scale of a ship model?
[Like in the ODF files of Star Trek: Armada II???] Or am I stuck... again...?

Thanks everyone....
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

you can scale in trek.exe:

-Open trek.exe with a hex editor, set it to read 16 bytes in a row

-use search function and search for the code of your ship (KM3 in this example) ATTENTION: every code apears 2-3 times in trek.exe....take the last one you editor can find.
f34e83dd.jpg
f34e83dd.jpg (56.27 KiB) Viewed 3942 times
Red: the shipcode (km3 here)
green: Number of phasers (decimal)
Blue: Scale (coded, check image below to see how to decode the sclae into a decimal number)
Yellow: phaser slots (if you have 8 phasers like the green number says above, then the first 8 bytes musst be set to 01)

every hex editor, can decode the hex values to normal decimal numbers. here's how 33 33 33 40 looks in decimal (blue):
e8a4ad60.jpg
e8a4ad60.jpg (15.79 KiB) Viewed 3942 times
as you can see the km3 model has a sale of 2.799999999 (2.8)

Edit: sorry i thought the yellow would be more visible
Public BotF / EF2 Teamspeak 3 Server: 83.169.13.55
ISS_Voyager
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by ISS_Voyager »

Thanks!

I'll play around with trek.exe...
t0m
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by t0m »

Howdy, I don't understand any of the above but I would like to make the reman warbird bigger, can any one help? Cheers
ISS_Voyager
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by ISS_Voyager »

Thanks to Dr_Breen, I can use my new knowledge to explain!

Starship scale can be modified by editing certain parts of code within the file "trek.exe"; which is located in the BOTF directory. (Default C:\BOTF)
In order to do this, you need a simple Hex Editor. I personally used "XVI32 release 2.51" because it's easy to learn.

Download at:
http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/f ... /xvi32.htm

After you've got XVI32 up and running, use it to open trek.exe
IMPORTANT! - always back up original files in case something goes wrong.

PHASE I - Starship labels
Press CTRL+F to open the "Find" window, and tell XVI32 to search for "RH1"
Make sure "Text String" is checked (or dotted, I guess...) and remember that it's all case sensitive.

Every starship in BOTF has a three-character label. In this case, the Romulan Warbird's label is RH1. (Romulan Heavy no. 1)

PHASE II - The Code
Note the center window displays the hex code and the right one displays it translated into text. Dr_Breen explained the code's meaning well. For more information later, take a look at his post.

All we care about right now is the size of the vessel, so we only need to worry about four squares of hex code that contain the encoded scale of the vessel.

Find row No. 190110, then find the code CD CC 4C 3F within it. Use your mouse and select the first box that contains the code "CD." Now, with the little box still selected, click Tools>Data Inspector.

A little dialoge box should appear with some data. The row that reads
IEEE single: 0.800000011920929
is our answer. The Romulan Warbird (Label RH1) has a scale of 0.8

Yay!

PHASE III - Rescaling
We want to double the size of the Warbird, yes? So that means that all we have to do is change the code to reflect that.

Make sure the first box of the four-box code is still selected.

Now click Tools>Encode Number.

Whoa - another box! There are three things to do here.
1. Make sure 32 bit IEEE single is checked. (...err.... dotted)
2. Make sure Here is dotted
3. Enter the new number to encode in the top left field.

If want to double the warbird's size and the old scale number is 0.8, we simply change it to 1.6

BA-DA-BING! Mega Warbird!

But WAIT! Before you save, make sure you backed everything up! This is the single most important thing to remember. You always need to be able to "undo" your changes in case you mess up. (In my case, this happens a lot.)

If I left anything unclear, just reply or PM me. I'm sure I can help you rescale the starships - I JUST spent some time doing that very thing.
[/b]

Return to “model phaser standards and ship scale”