model phaser standards and ship scale

model phaser standards and ship scale; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

model phaser standards and ship scale

Post by thunderchero »

Hi everyone,

I just wanted some thought on this subject, :wink:

Phasers slots for models:

Since a model with 32 slot or a model with just 1 slot will not effect ship strength (this is determined in ship stats).

8 location should be standard.
This would be enough for any starbase or ship to very location from where it fires. If less locations are disired just create duplicate slots in same locations until 8 slots are in model.

scale of models

while working on next version of UDM I have put some thought into how to get models to correct scale. while keeping poly count as low as possible.

I have found many ways to edit scale while creating models :wink: But just now I am tring to get model to exact size.

Here is what I found to be best;

when flt is ready and saved, (Conversion to flt can be done any way you want.) reopen and set "overall" "scale length" to 30.0 and save flt.

when useing "flttohot.exe" use "examples" (oberth "150 meters" set scale in hot file to 1.5) "-s1.5Scale" or (starbase "3500 meters" set scale in hot file to 35.0) "-s35.0Scale".

Then all trek.exe phaser slots to 150%.
This keeps ships a good distance apart but not too small.

any thoughts?

thunderchero
Last edited by thunderchero on Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Hi Everyone,

here is some images of feds I have completed with all matching phasers and scale. (8 phasers slots, 100% scale in trek.exe)

The 3 images below view point was only rotated so distance is same in all 3 views. intreped was center point.

thunderchero
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

They look pretty good there, chero. The Mirandas appear overly-large and the Sovereign looks rather small-ish in the first & third screenies, but I'm guessing that's because they're closer/farther from the "camera" (so to speak), yes?

(Odd. I'm getting a weird sense of deja vu as I'm typing this post.... :? )
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Yes Martok, this is due to camera distance, :wink:

I was not happy with setting in images above, (some ships overlapped).

so I played with setting a lot 8O and found;

with finished converting to flt (convert to flt best way for you) set "overall" "scale length" to 30.0 than when converting to hot set scale to example oberth "150 meters" set scale in hot file to 1.5 or starbase "3500 meters" set scale in hot file to 35.0. then all trek.exe phaser slots to 100%. This keeps ships a good distance apart but not too small. :lol:

here is latest images;

this was again same no camera distance change only rotated.

Note; I edited first post to reflect these settings.

P.S. next is to get 2 races ready to judge how close fleets are before combat starts. :wink:

thunderchero
trekker-
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by trekker- »

the capitol ships (galaxy class, warbird, etc..) never look big enough to me. i imagine the scale is so bad because the original game didn't have the texture compression and computers lacked the power to handle large ships?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

After reconverting about 40 models to move models closer when battle begins. I have found for some strange reason it goes back to the same distance :? So i have already added new models to UDMIII dev3 I found editing all entries in trek.exe to 150% is best way to move models closer.

here is link to edited trek.exe post only for UDMIII dev 3

viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=15568#15568

Draw back of this is ships are closer to each other. I have not seen any ship overlap yet so I can live with 150% scale in trek.exe

I would like some other feedback from you guys, Is 150% scale an improvement?

My objectives for this project;

1. All phasers match for easier adding and combining of ship models

2. All scale match in trek.exe so there is no question if scale is correct. (if model has been set in this method)

3. no overlapping of ship models as before.

thunderchero
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

nice, ive been working with my scales as well and ive almost got them close to perfect, tho i would like to INCREASE the distance between 2 enemy fleets (since phasers are effective up to 300,000 km in most cases, and torpedoes 3,000,000 km) to make it more canon :D
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

i'd love to see that tethys :D
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

i will be playing around with scales once i get this crashlog analyzed... im still wondering if there is a way to get the fleets farther apart so it looks more realistic when battles are fought...
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
thunderchero

Re: model phaser standards and ship scale

Post by thunderchero »

Hi Everyone,

After playing with scale for of some models I noticed some thing that shed some light on scale. :cry:

I will use a ship size of 150.0 (longest part of model) in this example. Most models this would be length but can be width or height.

in 3ds format or flt format if you use "scale to" it will scale longest part of model to the value used in this case 150.0 and scale rest of model evenly.

New info, during hob conversion you may set a scale value but this is not a "scale to" it is a multipler of current scale.

so if I had model "scale to" 30.0 and then use a value of 1.5 during hob conversion I would have a "scale to" value = of 90
30.0 x 1.5 = 45.0 x 2 = 90

and this is reflected in UE when veiwing hob file 45.0228 for model radius. I comfirmed this by setting model to "scale to" value of 1.0 in flt format and did hob convertion with multlier of 150.0 in UE when veiwing new hob file it showed 152.0 for model radius. (extra 2.0 from bounding box?)

more testing should be done but found this very interesting.

And no I do not plan on reconverting all those models.

thunderchero

Return to “model phaser standards and ship scale”