Moderator: thunderchero

Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Research Starting Percentages

Post by Tethys »

Modders might find this info useful, so here it is

452F90 > proc science_assignations_list_game_start

Values with a sum in excess of 100% will work, but seem to have strange effects. Values with a sum below 10% seem to have very little effect on vanilla research progress.

Code: Select all

452F9A > BE 10 00 00 00 >       16% (base percentage, applied by 452FD0)
452FBD > 47 >                   1% by increment (decrement also works, applied by 452FD4) 
452FD0 > 3C 06 >                apply values to all 6 tech fields
452FD4 > 83 FA 04 >             apply increment to 4 tech fields
I have had success in reducing all fields to 1% which will force the player to research only one tech field at a time, however to achieve this I had to reduce tech field research point requirement by a factor of 100.
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Re: Research Starting Percentages

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Given the code is only read once at game start, this doesn't look very useful for 'slider allocations'.

Reading the topic title I assumed this would be about how to preset some area's 'research percentages done' higher than zero for some empires (Gowron did this for feds in BoP).
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

It is much faster testing the effects of research by adjusting the starting percentage.

For instance, a certain event in the game (random event, hull virus come to mind) could add a static and permanent bonus to research percentage each time the event is called. A way to test the total value 100 would be necessary to prevent weirdness of > 100%

Not asking anyone to do any work, save that for myself. Also, I am not familiar with that mod of Gowrons. Is that like an overflow, if you have 20 points and 10 points remaining for tech upgrade, remaining 10 points go to next level?
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Tethys wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:10 pmI am not familiar with that mod of Gowrons. Is that like an overflow, if you have 20 points and 10 points remaining for tech upgrade, remaining 10 points go to next level?
No, context is king. :wink: "the code is only read once at game start"

For empire X starting-level Y e.g. something like energy tech 5 with 30% done for tech 6 (IIRC, cf BoP documentation for verification).
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:30 pm
For empire X starting-level Y e.g. something like energy tech 5 with 30% done for tech 6 (IIRC, cf BoP documentation for verification).
Ah, ok I think UE already supports that kind of change. No, this adjusts the rate of research as a whole from the beginning. I have allocated 1% to each tech, where one can only allocate up to 6% to any given tech. I am testing this way to see what affect it has on the AI (seems to have no effect which is good news) and make it harder of the player to research, without painstakingly adjusting every structure. I am working a side project, which should be ready in a week or 2.. I kinda needed a distraction from GALM while I figure out what's next for her...

I figure why should I hoard the information, also.. so yeah :wink:

Return to “Research Progress and Decay”