Crew Experience

Crew Experience; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Gowron
Code Master
Code Master

Crew Experience

Post by Gowron »

That's why a Worf will always beat a Wesley ;)
The first 2 sections contain information about how Crew Experience works, and the 3rd section addresses modding this stuff by editing values in trek.exe.

1. Amount of Exp. Points gained during battle

To get Exp. Points from a battle, you must enter the tactical combat screen. "Auto" and "Hail" (before the battle) will result in zero points.
There are three "sources" of Exp. Points during battle:

a) The sum of points of damage that your ships do to enemies with beam and/or torpedo weapons (damage from ramming doesn't count).

b) A bonus for every enemy ship that retreats. The bonus is
0.05 * [combined nominal shield+hull hit points of retreated ship]

c) Invisible overflow damage (only if your ships still have weapon capacity left when all enemies are destroyed). This extra damage is hard to predict, but has to be equal to or lower than the unused weapon capacity.

The values from a, b and c are added and equally divided (rounded up if not integer) between your surviving ships.

2. Effect of the Crew Experience Level

For every Exp. Level above "Green", a ship gains +5 Defense, +5 Beam Accuracy and most probably also +5 Torpedo Accuracy (the TA is not displayed anywhere).
Sometimes these effects don't "kick in" immediately and you have to get the ship into 1 or 2 more tactical combats so that the effect is updated.

3. Relevant values in trek.exe

All values are stored as 4-byte integers. It seems that they're all signed (though I wouldn't recommend negative values).

a) Bonuses

Bonus for Klingon ships
position: 0x4577F
default value: 350
NOTE: This value is skipped if the system has a running Combat Training Facility (such as Starfleet Academy).

Bonus for systems with a Combat Training Facility
position: 0x45872
default value: 700

b) Thresholds

There are 5 different Exp. Levels in BotF, hence 4 threshold values. Each value is stored 3 times in trek.exe. The 3 numbers don't necessarily have to be the same, but normally it doesn't make sense to use different values for the same threshold.

threshold value for 2nd star ("normal" crew)
position1: 0x48F36
position2: 0x48FBB
position3: 0x7011F

threshold for 3rd star ("veteran" crew)
position1: 0x48F2F
position2: 0x48FA8
position3: 0x70117
default value: 1500

threshold for 4th star ("elite" crew)
position1: 0x48F28
position2: 0x48F95
position3: 0x7010F
default value: 5000

threshold for 5th star ("legendary" crew)
position1: 0x48F21
position2: 0x48F78
position3: 0x70107
default value: 8000

[position1] is used every turn to determine the new experience levels of all ships that currently have the "crew training" order.

[position2] is used to determine the experiance level description ("legendary" etc.) of the ships when assinging formations on the F1 screen.

[position3] is used after every battle to determine the new experience levels of a ships that survived that battle.

Like I wrote above, it's possible to use different values at the 3 resp. positions, but that can result in "downgrading" after battle resp. during training, since the new experience level is determined using only [position1] resp. only [position3], without looking at the old experience level.

New ships will always start with 1 star except if they're built at a system with a Combat Training Facility (in that case it's 2 stars). The number of stars will only be updated during training and after every tactical combat.
Last edited by Gowron on Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A discovery consists in seeing something everybody has seen and at the same time thinking something nobody has thought yet.
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

The thing I always thought was funny about crew experience is how it stays with the ship even if it is stolen by another empire. It implies that the ship wasn't hijacked but that the crew defected and took the vessel with them.
Gowron
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Gowron »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:Is it really true that crew experience has an influence of the functionality of colony ships and/or troop transports beside of tactical combat ?
No, the terraforming rate of colony ships and the ground combat strengths of troop transports are both determined by the "production" value in shiplist.sst and do not change with the crew experience level.
A discovery consists in seeing something everybody has seen and at the same time thinking something nobody has thought yet.
Gowron
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Gowron »

Badbru wrote:However on this matter of TroopTransports and their experience level, if it has no effect on ground combat does the crew experience carry over to outposts and/or starbases built with Veteran or Elite TroopTransports?
No, outposts/starbases do not have experience levels, so any training effort would be "wasted".
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Gowron wrote:Sometimes these effects don't "kick in" immediately and you have to get the ship into 1 or 2 more tactical combats so that the effect is updated.
This is really strange - any idea of the cause ?

Seemingly no downgrading issue.
Gowron wrote:that can result in "downgrading" after battle resp. during training, since the new experience level is determined using only [position1] resp. only [position2], without looking at the old experience level.
Unfortunately this occurs for ships at threshold if engaged without getting experince points (almost always Retreat/Hail or F1 Auto/Hail).

It stays then downgraded untill added new experince points. :(
Badbru wrote:TroopTransports and their experience level
Gowron wrote:any training effort would be "wasted"
Indeed TT experience could be even a disadvantage.
In my(not scientifical) experience, sometimes orbital batteries prefers to attack more experienced ships/task forces. :?

As a side note: Winning a battle only with stations or ships which can't get experience points in battle (colony & TT) seeming gives no moral table bonus.
Though the victory is stored in the event list. :(

[EDIT: ship function decides (05/Colony, 06/Outpost, 07/Starbase & 09/Troop Transport) not armament]
Last edited by Spocks-cuddly-tribble on Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
The_Nighthawk
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by The_Nighthawk »

Martok wrote:
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:In my(not scientifical) experience, sometimes orbital batteries prefers to attack more experienced ships/task forces. :?

That's been my experience as well.

Actually, that's not quite the problem. The problem is that OB's go after whichever task force is at the top of the list (assuming there's multiple task forces in the same sector), and the game always places the most experienced task force at the top for some retarded reason.
I think it places the oldest ships first (meaning the ones you built first, that would have the lowest internal ID #), and chances are good those will be your most experienced ships.
Martok wrote:
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:As a side note: Winning a battle only with stations or ships which can't get experience points in battle (colony & TT) seeming gives no moral table bonus.
How do you mean? I know that a lone outpost/starbase defeating an enemy by itself doesn't bestow a morale bonus, but you *will* get a morale bonus if ships are also defending the starbase.
I think he means if those ships do not have guns. You need a warship with the starbase to get exp and the morale bonus.
Playing BoP whenever the wife allows!
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Re: Crew Experience

Gowron wrote:Sometimes these effects don't "kick in" immediately and you have to get the ship into 1 or 2 more tactical combats so that the effect is updated.
I penetrated the bug-ridden mystery. :)

This made us really look ridiculous. It was for years before our very eyes and we were unable to discover it. :?
There are seemingly two bugs in the concept of crew experience.

Gowron wrote:[position1] is used after every battle to determine the new experience levels of a ships that survived that battle.

[position2] is used every turn to determine the new experience levels of all ships that currently have the "crew training" order.

[position3] is used to determine the experiance level description ("legendary" etc.) of the ships when assinging formations on the F1 screen.
Sorry, all wrong. That almost has axed my findings :?

:arrow: P1 is the training check.

NOTE: Probably a bug in the check routine disabled the update of the Defense/Accuracy level.

>-Even ships built in a running Combat Training Facility starts by +0 Defense/Accuracy level !
>-So Defense/Accuracy level is always "frozen" at +0 or the last P3 check.

>>> That's important to know in order to prevent confusion ! <<<

:arrow: P2 is the F1 experiance level description check - the only one without a bug.

NOTE: It doesn't affect the parallel description in tactical combat !

:arrow: P3 is the after battle check.

NOTE: An error in the check routine causes the downgrad (or not upgrade) bug at threshold:
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:Unfortunately this occurs for ships at threshold if engaged without getting experince points (almost always Retreat/Hail or F1 Auto/Hail).
It stays then downgraded untill added new experince points.
Gowron wrote:The number of stars will only be updated during training and after every tactical combat.
NOTE: The battle check P3 works also after every F1-"Auto/Hail" (no tactical combat necessary).

> That's important too !

:arrow: A shocking Example of the P1 bug :

A player sends his well trained fleet after long peacetime (excluded of some scouts never engaged) into the most decisive battle of the whole game. All displays shows the actual training level. Even the Raid/Intercept bonus (especially interresting for ships of function 01/destroyer) works fine.
During this (first) tactical combat, the experience label, the damage control level and the ship stars are displayed belong the current trainig level.
But all those displays are useless. Because only Defense/Accuracy level (excepting Damage Control) works in tactical combat. And this will updated only by P3 check (after battle).

So indeed this player is commanding a green fleet during the battle effectively ! 8O
ruthlessferengi wrote:i prefer to train my merchants in battle...
A wise counsel ! :wink:

:arrow: Example 2 (check madness) :

A destroyer/01 is trained to the exact threshold of legendary and never engaged yet.
All displays shows legendary level, including Raid/Intercept bonus (+40/+100).
Now it heals the Edo guardian in tactical combat.
Only Defense/Accuracy shows +0 (green level) during this event, all other displays shows legendary level.
After that, the ship is downgraded (to elite level; Raid/Intercept bonus +30/+80) and upgraded (Defense/Accuracy gained from +0/green to +15/elite) at the same time!!! :o
Only F1 experience level description shows still "legendary" (P2 check).

No need to cry for a consoler. :cry: - This can be solved:

:arrow: Fixing the downgrade bug

Gowron wrote:normally it doesn't make sense to use different values for the same threshold...that can result in "downgrading" after battle...
Q wrote:Au contraire, mon Capitain !
......exactly this is necessary in order to solve the downgrade bug. :wink:

Like I wrote, there is clearly an error in the P3 check routine. It checks 'greater' instead of 'greater or equal' like P1/P2.

So lowering all P3 thresholds by a point finally fixes the P3 downgrad bug.

In the case of vanilla: 699 / 1499 / 4999 / 7999.

:arrow: Example 3 (after fixed the downgrade bug) :

The destroyer from Example 2 is now properly upgraded to Defense/Accuracy +20 (legendary level) without any downgrading.

This is solved too. Never needed a second P3 check. :)

But of course this is a "dirty" solution.

So a question for computer guys:

If we know the location of the check mechanics of P1 & P3 and compare the codes, then there should be only two differences :
The 'greater' P3 and 'greater or equal' P1 sequence & the P1 bug or omission that disabled the update of the Defense/Accuracy level.

Is it possible to fix this by simple "mirror-part" overwriting :?:

PS: Is there any known usage for experience points above threshold of the 5th star, or is every further trainig/experience wasted :?:
Last edited by Spocks-cuddly-tribble on Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

The code is where Gowron found it and can be changed.

P1 and P3 are very similar. The difference is just like you named it.

To make P3 to work the same as P1 you need to change 7F to 7D at these locations:

0x7010B, 0x70113, 0x7011B

The last one isn't really needed, but to be consistent change 7E to 7C at 0x70123

Good work, Tribble :)

EDIT:
PS: Is there any known usage for experience points above threshold of the 5th star, or is every further trainig/experience wasted Question
Looking at the code, it's wasted.
Gowron
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Gowron »

Updated the article (corrected the swapped position descriptions). Somehow it felt like I had corrected this before. Maybe it was an update that was lost when the forums crashed.

Thanks to Tribble and DCER for doublechecking and analyzing this stuff :)
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

DCER wrote:The last one isn't really needed, but to be consistent change 7E to 7C at 0x70123
Thank you, it is needed. Four thresholds = four changes. :wink:

This one fixes the "regular" downgrade. :)

=> But is there a way to enable the P1 Defence/Accuracy update :?:

===================================================

In addition I investigated the Raid/Intercept mechanics. For easier search it might be better in it's own thread, but for the sake of completeness I post it as supplement to Effect of the Crew Experience Level.
As you probably expect, it's a little bit confusingly. That's mainly caused by strong differences of the Raid/ Intercept calculations.

:arrow: Task force RAID value

The Raid base value (BV) depends on current task-force owner (defaults):

Code: Select all

Cardassian:   10
Federation:    5
Ferengi:      30
Klingon:      20
Romulan:      15
The Raid formula is:

BV + 5 per task-force ship + per 01/destroyer (experience stars - 1) * 10

(i.e. for every destroyer Exp. Level above "Green" +10)

Maybe it's a bug/omission, except of 01/destroyer, crew experience dosen't affect Raiding.

Colony ships and troop transports do support Raiding task-forces, but cannot Raid alone.

EDIT: Gowron has found the code location of the Raiding Percentages

:arrow: Task force INTERCEPT value

Intercept base value is always 20. Thus, I'm not sure how it is determined.

The bonus per experience level(beginning with Green!) depends on ship function:

00/scout         +5
01/destroyer    +20
02/cruiser       +3
03/strike        +2
04/command       +1
05/colony        +0
09/troop tr.     +0
Task force Intercept value = 20 + cumulated experience bonuses of all ships

03/strike and 04/command do support Intercepting task-forces, but cannot Intercept alone -> button disabled.
Note: As suspected, AI controlled ships do it even so.

Colony ships and troop transports don't support Intercept.

EDIT: code has been found ->Intercept percentage

EDIT:

Also all myths regarding command ships can share experience points/level with other ships are clearly disproved:

ship function 04 /for "command and control"
Last edited by Spocks-cuddly-tribble on Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gurgeh
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Gurgeh »

Hi, there. I have a few questions for you:

1) You've given the bonus for Klingon ships as being at position: 0x4577F (default value: 350). What about the other four major races? Where is the info located in trek.exe for them?

2) Is the given bonus for systems with a Combat Training Facility at position: 0x45872 (default value: 700) for all such facilities and all races or just the Klingons?

3) It's great to have the threshold values storage locations as I've recently been considering 'moving the goal posts' (so to speak) for the various experience levels to make them a bit more meaningful and to reduce the 'waste' of any experience gained above 'legendary' status. But I wonder just how high I can set the last threshold value? You said that the values are stored as 4-byte integers. Is that in hex or decimal? (if hex the highest I can set it to is FFFF (=65535), if decimal then it's only 9999 (=270F).)

4) Have I got the 'downgrade bug fix' right? Both the lowering of all the P3 thresholds by a point (ie vanilla: 699 / 1499 / 4999 / 7999) and making P3 work the same as P1 by changing 7F to 7D at 0x7010B, 0x70113, 0x7011B and 7E to 7C at 0x70123 are required to correct the problem?

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:1.) This is a klingons only feature. Other races start with zero EPs.

2.) Its a shared value for all major & minor buildings.

3.) Code is always in hex (just 0-9 looks the same way as dec) and 65535/FF FF is two bytes (unsigned).
Read this hex-guide: http://www.members.aon.at/zelli/shiplist.htm :idea:

4.) NO, just one of them. DCER's code change is more elegant.
DOT
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by DOT »

Gowron wrote: a) Bonuses

Bonus for Klingon ships
position: 0x4577F
default value: 350
NOTE: This value is skipped if the system has a running Combat Training Facility (such as Starfleet Academy).

Bonus for systems with a Combat Training Facility
position: 0x45872
Code for selecting the Klingon race for boni is located at:

00446368	cmp     byte ptr [ebp+4Ch], 3
0044636C	jnz     short loc_446383
to enable boni for all majors expect Ferengi for example, in first line replace "3" with "2" (race id) and change jump condition from "jump if not zero" to "jump if zero"

in hex this means changing:

0x045768	80 7D 4C 03
0x04576C	75 15
to

0x045768	80 7D 4C 02
0x04576C	74 15
I have not tested what happens if race id is set to value higher than 4 (e.g. race id of Alien monsters). Than not only all major ships would have 350 (or modified value) experience points, but also the minor ships.
life long and prosper
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

DOT wrote:if race id is set to value higher than 4 (e.g. race id of Alien monsters). Than not only all major ships would have 350 (or modified value) experience points, but also the minor ships.
Quite the contrary, ID 5-22h(+jz) excludes a minor-race. Monsters appear to be unaffected by Exp.effects (EPs in GShipList seem meaningless).

Also note the feature is pointless if applied to all majors and/or minors (just the same effect as lowering thresholds). The point here is an advantage/disadvantage for spezific race(s) i.e. diversity and unique gameplay.

So all this would share same effect & purposelessness:
-> race ID > 0x22
-> disabling the jump
-> changing asm 44A8B9 mov dword ptr [ecx+40h], 0 (start EPs for all ships /skipped by Klingon feature & Training Facilities)

Anyhow, it's time for a complete overhaul of the concept of Crew Experience, including fixes of all remaining bugs, functioning code for broken features and adding of some new functionalities to BotF. :)

First off a recap and some remarks for the sake of clarity:
Gowron wrote:[position1] is used every turn to determine the new experience levels of all ships that currently have the "crew training" order.

[position2] is used to determine the experience level description ("legendary" etc.) of the ships when assinging formations on the F1 screen.

[position3] is used after every battle to determine the new experience levels of all ships that survived that battle.
[position1] => sub_449B20 -> (Defense/Accuracy bug)
[position2] => sub_449B74
[position3] => sub_470D00 -> (downgrade bug)

NOTE: All following modifications presuppose the downgrade bug fix:

At 0x7010B, 0x70113 & 0x7011B change 7F to 7D and at 0x70123 change 7E to 7C

From now on I will assume that this is already done. :!:

-> sub_449B20 (64bytes+14unused above) is not longer in use after the training bug fix (chapter 2 resp.3) i.e. the [position1] thresholds can be ignored now. :)

-> This sends also [position2] thresholds into disuse:

In trek.exe at 0x48F76 replace:
40 3D 40 1F 00 00 7C 16
with:
44 FF 24 85 60 9B 44 00

449B74    mov   eax, [eax+44h]
449B77    jmp   off_449B60[eax*4]
-> For easier hex editing, I stick with minimally invasive code changes. But there's still enough space for further improvements. :wink:

:arrow: 1. Newly Built Ships (bug-fix) (sub_446240)

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:ships built in a running Combat Training Facility start by +0 Defense/Accuracy
Gowron wrote:New ships will always start with 1 star except if they're built at a system with a Combat Training Facility (in that case it's 2 stars).
Here's a replacement code in order to redress the both issues, i.e. Crew Experience Level as well as Defense/Accuracy Bonus of newly built ships is now always accurate. :)

In trek.exe at 0x4576D
replace:
15 83 BC 24 C4 02 00 00 01 7D 0B C7 84 24 C0 02 00 00 5E 01 00 00 8D 84 24 80 02 00
with:
10 90 90 90 90 90 C7 84 24 C0 02 00 00 5E 01 00 00 8D 84 24 80 02 00 00 E8 76 A9 02

At 0x45877 change 01 to 00

AND at 0x4588A change DA to F0

New code at asm 44636C:

jnz     short loc_44637E
nop    ( 5x )
mov     dword ptr [esp+2C0h], 15Eh
loc_44637E:
lea     eax, [esp+280h]
call    sub_470D00     =>[position3]

(…)
446476  mov   edi, 0   (better remove 446476 & 446482)
(…)
446489  jmp   loc_44637E
NOTE: 0x4577A is new position of the bonus for klingon ships. :!:

Race ID (03/Klingons) is still at 0x4576B

1b. Possible Bonus Feature (additional Facility Bonus)

As an example, this makes ships built by a Zakdorn Training Facility start with 1500 EPs instead of 700:

In trek.exe at 0x45876
replace:
BF 01 00 00 00 89 B4 24 C0 02 00 00 89 BC 24 C4
with:
80 7D 44 22 75 06 BE DC 05 00 00 90 89 B4 24 C0

New code at asm 446476:

cmp     byte ptr [ebp+44h],  22h / ebp+44h=Inhabitant-ID 0x22=Zakdorn
jnz     short loc_446482         / ( skip next )
mov     esi, 5DCh                / new(additional) Facility Bonus
nop
mov     [esp+2C0h], esi
The feature can be adapted as shown above in this thread:

0x4587D (DC 05 00 00) = start EPs for new special bonus
0x45879 (22) = Race ID
0x45878 (44) = compare to Inhabitant-ID (4C=compare to controlling race ID)
0x4587A (75) = jump condition

:arrow: 2. Fixing the training bug (sub_4690C0)

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:training...a bug in the check routine disabled the update of the Defense/Accuracy level
NOTE: The replacement code in chapter 3 already includes this fix. :!:

I'll also provide the code for a self-contained bug-fix:

In trek.exe at 0x68556
replace:
8B 42 40 E8 C2 09 FE FF 39 C6 7D 3E 89 F0 89 47 44
with:
89 D0 E8 A3 7B 00 00 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90

New code at asm 469156:

mov   eax, edx
call  sub_470D00  =>[position3]
nop   (10x until 469167  inc ebx)
But we can do even better. As a "side effect" of this fix I found the corrupted code of a broken feature of BotF. So after the reworking of bugs and tackling logic errors...

:arrow: 3. Enabling the Training Limits (broken feature fix)

The game manual tells that only Klingons can reach the 'Legandary' level by training. (I read somewhere minor facilities also, iirc). Now it turned out that the unfinished code for this is there and it can be activated. :)

In trek.exe at 0x6854B
replace:
89 C2 89 C7 8B 44 24 08 01 42 40 8B 42 40 E8 C2 09 FE FF 39 C6 7D 3E 89 F0 89 47 44
with:
3B 70 40 76 17 8B 54 24 08 01 50 40 3B 70 40 7D 03 89 70 40 E8 9C 7B 00 00 90 90 90

New code at asm 46914B:

cmp     esi, [eax+40h]
jbe     short loc_469167
mov     edx, [esp+8]
add     [eax+40h], edx
cmp     esi, [eax+40h]
jge     short_( skip next )
mov     [eax+40h], esi
call    sub_470D00  =>[position3]
nop     (3x)

loc_4691A0 -> unused = space for an additional limit or building slots
Instead of describing all the bugs, and why the original concept won't work properly, I'll explain the reworked feature:

By default there are three slots for IDs of Training Facilities and two Training Limits involved, which I call limit A and limit B.

Formally, the function can be written as:

IF Training Facility on the list THEN [limit A] ELSE [limit B]

Slots and IDs for Training Facilities:

46912A     cmp     dx, 39h // 0x6852D
46918D     cmp     dx, 55h // 0x68590
469193     cmp     dx, 2Bh // 0x68596
The IDs are compared to the value at relative offset +0x50 in edifice.bst for each active Training Facility. :idea:

Thus the defaults stand for:

0x6852D (0x39) -> Andorian War College
0x68590 (0x55) -> Zakdorn Military Academy
0x68596 (0x2B) -> Klingon Tactical College

vanilla edifice.bst defaults for:

(0x19) -> Cardassian Central Command
(0x25) -> Starfleet Academy
(0x32) -> Romulan Naval Academy

For minor buildings it seems = RaceID + 0x33 (matching the table in sub_4C22F8)

But best is doublechecking of modded edifice.bst files. (Adapting edifice at +0x54 is NOT a good idea, btw :wink:)

Training Limits: (4-byte integer)

[limit A]:
469130   mov  esi, 5  / 0x68531

[limit B]: 
469199   mov  esi, 4  / 0x6859A
Here we set maximum of reachable Experience Points through training.

In the case of vanilla this will make it work as intended:

At 0x68531 (05 00 00 00) [limit A] = 0x1F40 / 'Legendary' threshold -> 8000(dec)
At 0x6859A (04 00 00 00) [limit B] = 0x1388 / 'Elite' threshold -> 5000(dec)

NOTE: The limits A and B are interchangeable at will. :idea:

How to make use of it without code altering (example):

Say we want to adapt BoP in order to set general training limit to Elite and to Veteran for the new "Training Facility".
We set 0x6852D, 0x68590 & 0x68596 each to 0x14 (found in BoP edifice.bst at "Training Facility"+0x54). We could also use two invalid IDs of course. Then 0x68531 [limit A] = 2500(dec) and 0x6859A [limit B] = 4000(dec).

Thresholds aren't a must. Here I use them for clearness and (in case of Legendary) in order to prevent BotF from unneeded calculations.
In theory a limit above the legendary threshold is meaningless (at least unmodded :wink:).

:arrow: 4. Altering the effect (concept) of the crew experience level

The Experience Level determines upon all known effects of Crew Experience:

-> RAID (sub_469760)
-> INTERCEPT (sub_46A3E8)
-> Damage Control (loc_52154D:)
-> Accuracy/Defense bonus (sub_470D00)
-> Displayed Pips (loc_4ECDDA:)
-> Experience Level Description-F1 Formations (sub_449B74)
-> Experience Level Description-Tactical Combat (loc_unknown)

A bit too much power for such a little, unsophisticated value while direct accessing EPs provides an interesting opportunity for more diversity and smoother progress.:wink:

Let's have a closer look at the Accuracy/Defense bonus:

GShipList:

0x2C = Experience Bonus for Beam Accuracy
0x30 = Experience Bonus for Torpedo Accuracy
0x34 = Experience Bonus for Defense
0x40 = Experience Points
0x44 = Experience Level (0=green / 4=legendary)

sub_470D00 =>[position3]

470D2C     mov    ecx, [eax+44h]    / ecx = Experience Level
470D2F     lea    edx, ds:0[ecx*4]  / edx = 4 * EL
470D36     add    edx, ecx          / edx = 5 * EL
470D38     mov    ecx, [eax+44h]    / R
470D3B     mov    [eax+2Ch], edx    / store Beam Accuracy bonus
470D3E     lea    edx, ds:0[ecx*4]  / R
470D45     add    edx, ecx          / R
470D47     mov    ecx, [eax+44h]    / R
470D4A     mov    [eax+30h], edx    / store Torpedo Accuracy bonus
470D4D     lea    edx, ds:0[ecx*4]  / R
470D54     add    edx, ecx          / R
470D56     mov    [eax+34h], edx    / store Defense bonus

R = redundant (unmodded)

Aim is that Experience Points above the threshold of Legendary still have a meaning and that the bonus for klingon ships has at least a small impact right from beginning. :)

As a first approach, the following code gives Green ships each +1 Accuracy/Defense bonus per reached 256 EPs and Legendary ships, beginning with 10000 EPs, each +1 per reached 2048 EPs e.g. 8000+ ->20, 10000+ ->21, 12048+ ->22, 14096+ ->23 (the relative low effect to prevent balance issues):

In trek.exe at 0x70138
replace:
8B 48 44 89 50 2C 8D 14 8D 00 00 00 00 01 CA 8B 48 44 89 50 30 8D 14 8D 00 00 00 00 01 CA
with:
EB 16 81 C2 F0 00 00 00 C1 EA 0B 83 C2 10 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 89 50 2C 89 50 30

At 0x70164 change C7 to D5

And at 0x70177
replace:
C7 40 44 00 00 00 00 EB AC
with:
C1 EA 08 85 D2 74 DB EB D0

New code at asm 470D38:

jmp    short loc_470D50
loc_470D3A:
add     edx, F0h        => A (=240)
shr     edx, 0Bh        => B  (=11)
add     edx, 10h        => C  (=16)
nop    (10x)
loc_470D50:
mov     [eax+2Ch], edx
mov     [eax+30h], edx

470D63  jmp  short loc_470D3A

loc_470D77:
shr     edx, 8          => X  (=8)
test    edx, edx
jz      short loc_470D59
jmp     short loc_470D50
The EPs have different effects depending on the Experience Level, divided into 3 cases:
(Accuracy/Defense bonus)

-> Green = EPs / 2^X

-> Regular, Veteran & Elite = 5 * Experience Level

-> Legendary = [ (EPs + A) / 2^B ] + C

Trek.exe locations of moldable variables:

A => 0x7013C
B => 0x70142
C => 0x70145
X => 0x70179

The formula looks a bit nasty, but the implementation of of a Cube Root calculation, approximately matching the given vanilla defaults, is beyond my programming skills...

EDIT:

Some possible bonus features for 1. Newly Built Ships bug-fix (see above).

(thanks to DOT for correcting a code error)

A.) Klingon bonus only for ships built in native systems

trek.exe at 0x45768
replace:
80 7D 4C 03 75 10 90 90 90 90 90
with:
8B 45 4C 23 45 44 83 F8 03 75 0B

asm 446368:

mov     eax, [ebp+4Ch]
and     eax, [ebp+44h]
cmp     eax, 3
jnz     short loc_44637E
Note: 0x45770 is new position of the Race-ID (03/Klingons)

B.) Race specific starting EPs for empires (replaces klingon bonus)

trek.exe at 0x45768
replace:
80 7D 4C 03 75 10 90 90 90 90 90 C7 84 24 C0 02 00 00 5E 01
with:
0F B6 45 4C 3C 04 7F 0E 8B 34 85 XX XX XX XX 89 B4 24 C0 02

(XX = asm!-address of your new emps_starting_EPs data field)

replacement at asm 446368:

movzx   eax, byte ptr [ebp+4Ch]
cmp     al, 4
jg      short loc_44637E
mov     esi, ds:emps_starting_EPs[eax*4]
mov     [esp+2C0h], esi
As a sample: disable [position2] thresholds(see above), at asm-449B94 (XX= 94 9B 44 00) i.e. hex 0x48F94 replace:
3D 88 13 00 00 7C 0C B8 03 00 00 00 FF 24 85 60 9B 44 00 3D with Emps starting EPs (5-Empires x 4-Bytes = 20).

You can create a similar code for race specific facility bonuses.

C.) Race specific starting EPs for empires - added to facility bonuses

Same code as B.) but last statement changed to:

add [esp+2C0h], esi -> 01 B4 24 C0 02 00 00

AND at

446489 jmp loc_446368 -> reset at 0x4588A -> F0 to DA

EDIT:

=> some bugs when using more than one training facility per system :!:
Last edited by Spocks-cuddly-tribble on Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Strengthening AI Ships in Tactical Combat

Coming back to one of my first projects at AFC,

since the above 4. Altering the effect of the crew experience level, due to its abstract nature and adjustment requirements, never reached great popularity, here is an alternative which could be more desirable. :)

The prerequisites are still the same:

- 'Downgrade bug fix' by DCER
- '1. Newly Built Ships bug-fix'
- '2. Training bug fix' (resp. '3')

:arrow: Strengthening the AI Ships in Tactical Combat

Renownedly the AI tactics in tactical combat are just the opposite of smart, so that players can waste most AI fleets with far fewer and more inferior ships. As a small compensation for poor AI tactics (see viewtopic.php?p=52751#p52751) we can add Accuracy/Defense bonuses to the AI ships. :)

This would also compensate for the AI vs. AI auto battle issue (no crew experience for AI, aside from training and battles with players involved, aka tactical combat, see first post).

Code example for an AI Accuracy/Defense Bonus of +5 per difficulty level above 'simple':

Trek.exe at 0x7012D
replace: (41 bytes)
48 44 8D 14 8D 00 00 00 00 01 CA 8B 48 44 89 50 2C 8D 14 8D 00 00 00 00 01 CA 8B 48 44 89 50 30 8D 14 8D 00 00 00 00 01 CA
with:
50 44 8A 48 28 80 F9 04 7F 16 B5 01 D2 E5 84 2D 28 2B 5A 00 75 0A 02 15 44 2B 5A 00 80 EA 01 90 6B D2 05 89 50 2C 89 50 30

470D2C     8B50 44         MOV EDX, [EAX+44]  // experience level
470D2F     8A48 28         MOV CL, [EAX+28]  // owner race ID
470D32     80F9 04         CMP CL, 4      // if free minor...
470D35     7F 16           JG SHORT 470D4D  // ...skip AI bonus
470D37     B5 01           MOV CH, 1
470D39     D2E5            SHL CH, CL
470D3B     842D 282B5A00   TEST [5A2B28], CH   // if player...
470D41     75 0A           JNZ SHORT 470D4D    // ...skip AI bonus
470D43     0215 442B5A00   ADD DL, BYTE [5A2B44]   // experience + difficulty level
470D49     80EA 01         SUB DL, 1 // experience + difficulty level -1
470D4C     90              NOP
470D4D     6BD2 05         IMUL EDX, EDX, 5      // default multiplier 5
470D50     8950 2C         MOV [EAX+2C], EDX   // store Beam Accuracy bonus
470D53     8950 30         MOV [EAX+30], EDX    // store Torpedo Accuracy bonus
Note that the default multiplier for [experience level] resp. [difficulty level -1] is shared for both, since this, code- and gamebalance- wise, appeared reasonable.

Via removing asm-470D49 the base range of AI bonus increases to *[difficulty level].

Removing asm-470D32 & 470D35 extends the AI bonus to independent minor ships, though not recommended to prevent inconsistencies (pseudo downgradings when acquiring minors with ships).

Pseudo downgradings w.r.t. Accuracy/Defense:

The AI bonuses are stored in the GShipList. Thus, for the present ships of older savegames, this modification won't work instantly, nor the AI bonuses will be removed instantly from existing ships when switching player race via savegame editing (see changing AI controling race of a savegame).

Though in this case, it's only a small issue, since it auto-corrects after the next encounter resp. training (hence downgrading). :)

Due to a bug (fix, see below), this pseudo downgrading also happens with stolen ships from AI's:

eber3 wrote:The thing I always thought was funny about crew experience is how it stays with the ship even if it is stolen by another empire. It implies that the ship wasn't hijacked but that the crew defected and took the vessel with them.
This clear bug/omission can be rectified in the GShipList. :)

:arrow: Stolen Ships - Crew Experience & Bonuses Bug-fix

Trek.exe at 0x4930F
replace: (48 bytes)
84 24 1C 04 00 00 8B 52 28 8B 40 4E C1 FA 10 C1 F8 10 E8 CA F2 FF FF 8B 94 24 1C 04 00 00 8B 84 24 2C 04 00 00 8B BC 24 20 04 00 00 66 89 42 28
with
DA 8B 53 28 8B 43 4E C1 FA 10 C1 F8 10 E8 CF F2 FF FF 8B C3 33 DB 89 58 40 8B 9C 24 2C 04 00 00 66 89 58 28 E8 C8 6D 02 00 8B BC 24 20 04 00 00

449F0E     8BDA             MOV EBX,EDX    // GShipList entry
449F10     8B53 28          MOV EDX, [EBX+28]
449F13     8B43 4E          MOV EAX, [EBX+4E]
449F16     C1FA 10          SAR EDX, 10    // ship Id
449F19     C1F8 10          SAR EAX, 10    // fleet Id
449F1C     E8 CFF2FFFF      CALL 4491F0 // remove ship from old TaskForce
449F21     8BC3             MOV EAX, EBX    // GShipList entry
449F23     33DB             XOR EBX, EBX
449F25     8958 40          MOV [EAX+40], EBX    // clear EPs
449F28     8B9C24 2C040000  MOV EBX, [ESP+42C]    // new owner race ID
449F2F     66:8958 28       MOV [EAX+28], BX    // store in GShipList
449F33     E8 C86D0200      CALL 470D00        // update all bonuses
449F38     8BBC24 20040000  MOV EDI, [ESP+420]
Last edited by Spocks-cuddly-tribble on Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexMcpherson79
Commander
Commander

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

Hey guys, just encountered this bug today: ships are not training... the option is there, the status is training, but level remains at 700 (all ships produced in system with powered training facility)

Return to “Crew Experience”