Veteran: -25%
Elite: -40%
Legendary: -75%

[EDIT:]

how Damage Control works

Damage Control - value locations

Damage Conductance subroutine

[EDIT/]

Unfortunately I can't find any effect of Damage Control. Could someone explain the precise details or confirm that's not working.

Gurgeh wrote:Okay, lets begin with a brief recap:

The crew experience modifiers that are applied to damage control (vanilla default values) are : Green: 0% , Regular: -10% , Veteran: -25% , Elite: -40% , Legendary: -75%.

They're stored in trek.exe, beginning at position 0x1956A0 (4 bytes per value, integer) and the first value is 100 (full damage, green level), next is 90 (regular), then 75 (veteran), then 60 (elite) and lastly 25 (legendary).

Now, has anyone tried altering the modifier values for the different experience levels? Did it work okay? Any problems? (If it's just stored once and there's no checks on it then I would have thought that would be fine.)
Yes, Yes & No. But larger values than 100 (or even negative) seems not a good idea.
Last edited by Spocks-cuddly-tribble on Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Gowron
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Gowron »

Damage Control only affects tactical combat. If a ship is damaged, its damage control level is used to determine how much damage is repaired per tactical turn.
A discovery consists in seeing something everybody has seen and at the same time thinking something nobody has thought yet.
Gowron
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Gowron »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:Thank you for replying. You describe the expected way it should work. But I did a variety of tests and it definitely doesn't work for me. Not even a single point of hull regeneration between tactical turns, neither any reduction of damage by being hit. :(
Since no one else replied, it seems that nobody ever tested if this concept actually worked. It's hilarious :D
A really nice finding :)

Btw, I also ran some tests this week, and the Damage Control level didn't do a thing.
A discovery consists in seeing something everybody has seen and at the same time thinking something nobody has thought yet.
Gowron
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Gowron »

Badbru wrote:I don't recall ever seeing a ship regenerate Hull hit points during combat. But shield hit points definately regenerate unless they're all gone, and more experienced ships last longer in combat, ergo; more experienced ships regenerate shields better? Yes, no, maybe?
[_]Yes.
[X]No.
[_]Maybe.

;)

The shield recharge rate is a fixed value in shiplist.sst and does not change with the crew experience level.
stardust wrote:There's a second part called 'defense' i think, (i'm not on my pc so i can't open ue to find what it's called) and you can alter that for the hull repair.
No, the Defense value is a modifier that decreases the chance of being hit by enemy weapons during combat.
stardust wrote:On another note, would the stealth modes simply mean you'd need a certain amount of sensor power in a sector for stealth shps to be shown? (like with cloaked ships)
No one has verified (yet) that the "Stealth" level has any meaning.
It does not make the ship harder to detect on the map, so much is sure.
Maybe it has an influence during battle, but so far that's just speculation.
Gowron
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Gowron »

Badbru wrote:
Gowron wrote:The shield recharge rate is a fixed value in shiplist.sst and does not change with the crew experience level.
Hey I'd be a fool not to bow to your wisdom as I'm sure the shield recharge rate is a fixed value in shiplist.sst. However since we don't have the source code etc and the AI is not fully understood I'm just wondering how we know that it is not altered somewhere within the programme by the crew experience level?
We know it from tests. Take a "green" ship and a "legendary" ship and compare their shield regeneration during combat, and you'll see that they do the same :)
Martok wrote:I also want to say that crew experience affects how quickly a ship repairs hull damage after a battle, but I'm less sure of this.
That's not affected by the experience level. See the link below.
stardust wrote:
Gowron wrote:
stardust wrote:There's a second part called 'defense' i think, (i'm not on my pc so i can't open ue to find what it's called) and you can alter that for the hull repair.
No, the Defense value is a modifier that decreases the chance of being hit by enemy weapons during combat.
ah, right, my bad on that one then Gowron....i've been under the impression that it dealt with hull regeneration so i've been vastly increasing this value. Would that mean i've actually been making my ships easier to hit or is it vice versa?

Also while we're on hull regeneration, does anyone know how much the regeneration is sped up when you park your damaged ships in a sector with an outpost/ starbase?

Or is it just another myth from the manual? :lol:
A higher defense value means that the ship is harder to hit.
High defense values can also cause balance problems (vanilla: Defiant, Vor'cha).

For ship regeneration (outside of battle), see
http://armadafleetcommand.com/onscreen/ ... topic&t=59
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Damage Control works ! :)

I found it during experiments with the Shield Level.

Its functionality is quite similar.

Damage Control reduces after every hit weapon effectiveness against Hull.

That's displayed only by the current Hull-percentage.

:arrow: An easy example of a Tactical Event Log (TEVENT.TXT)

USS Percentage Dyslexic: Legendary Level =-75%, no shields, 100 Hull points
1HP = 1% :wink:

The Badship A fires Beams at USS Percentage Dyslexic doing 40 points of damage.
Hull at 90%.
USS Percentage Dyslexic hit by Torpedoes taking 60 points of damage.
Hull at 75%.
Hull at 60%.
USS Percentage Dyslexic destroyed

Keep in mind Damage Control works after the hit.
The deadly blow isn't reduced. :(
Last edited by Spocks-cuddly-tribble on Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:Damage Control reduces after every hit weapon effectiveness against Hull.
Cool, I always had the feeling that better damage control is making them a little tougher! At least a little bit. So far I thought this would just be imagination. :lol:
Gowron
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Gowron »

Now that's an interesting result.

Good work, Tribble :)
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:Keep in mind Damage Control works after the hit.
The deadly blow isn't reduced. :(
Hmm, that's a pity.
The_Nighthawk
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by The_Nighthawk »

That is very very good to know. I wonder if Gowron's Klingon Battleship will see a slight loss of hull points with this info. ;)
Playing BoP whenever the wife allows!
Gowron
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Gowron »

Hm, I'd rather deal with the root of the problem and change the percentages.
After all, they must be hiding somewhere ^^
Gowron
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Gowron »

And now they can't hide any longer :D

Instead of the damage control percentages, the damage percentages are stored in trek.exe, beginning at position
0x1956A0
(4 bytes per value, integer)

The first value is 100 (full damage, green level), the last one is 25 (1/4 damage, legendary).

When displaying the "damage control" value, the game subtracts 100 from the damage percentage. This is why damage control is displayed as a negative number (except for green ships).

This suggests that damage control is applied before the damage is applied to the target. However, we know that damage control does not apply when the weapon damage is higher than the remaining hit points of the target. Maybe the check if the target is destroyed is performed before the damage is calculated, resulting in this bug.

Side note:
Such a bug is also present in Age of Empires II:
When a trebutchet (a medieval siege engine) fires at a building, it's possible that the trebutchet gets destroyed before its shot hits the building. In this case, the shot does no damage, except if the damage would be high enough to destroy the building, in which case the building is razed.
Maybe they had the same programmer ;)
The_Nighthawk
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by The_Nighthawk »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:
Gowron wrote:we know that damage control does not apply when the weapon damage is higher than the remaining hit points of the target. Maybe the check if the target is destroyed is performed before the damage is calculated, resulting in this bug.
I don't think that's a bug, since dead damage control teams won't do thier jobs very well. :wink:

Also is much more difficult to repair a damage after the ship exploded. :cry:
I agree it's more of a feature than a bug in BotF. However the AoEII example is pure hilarity. :P
Playing BoP whenever the wife allows!
Gowron
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Gowron »

Gowron wrote:And now they can't hide any longer :D

Instead of the damage control percentages, the damage percentages are stored in trek.exe, beginning at position
0x1956A0
(4 bytes per value, integer)

The first value is 100 (full damage, green level), the last one is 25 (1/4 damage, legendary).
UPDATE:

The game even has a name for this, it's "Damage Conductance".
It's applied in subroutine 52B7E0, and this happens to be our first hit deep into BotF's tactical battle calculations.

That subroutine is called from seven locations. For example, the call from position 529F92 applies to ramming damage calculation for the attacking (i.e. ramming) ship (with the damage value being loaded into edx at position 529FD8), while the call from position 529FEB applies to damage calculation for the defending (i.e. rammed) ship (with the damage value being loaded into edx at position 529FE6).

Return to “Damage Control”