Star Trek dangling plotlines

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

zorkedup
Ensign
Ensign

Post by zorkedup » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:27 pm

Didn't Scotty end up stuck in a transporter buffer to be rescued in one of the later movies?

HsojVvad
Commodore
Commodore

Post by HsojVvad » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:33 pm

zorkedup wrote:Didn't Scotty end up stuck in a transporter buffer to be rescued in one of the later movies?
Yes in the TV show of TNG. But he was used in the books, I only remember reading about one of them, when Kirk came back to live after he died in Generations. I forget the book, but actually liked it. I think it was the first of a trilogy, never read the other 2 books, sadly. I need to find them.

If you want a good book on how the Federations was formed, or the true first contact between Humans and Vulcans, read Strangers from the Sky. I guess this is why I don't like First Contact. I always loved this version better.

Anthour Star Trek book I liked, witch again I forget the name, is about Jim Kirks father when Jim was a small boy. It had Romulans in there as well. Now you guys got me going to my bsement and trying to find these books lol.

MrD
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by MrD » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:59 am

The books where Scotty appears again are those of the "Shatnerverse" which are not part of the other Star Trek book line, although I found it really great to read.

Yes, Strangers from the Sky was far more interesting in my opinion and it makes Kirk's emotional conflict in "Where no man has gone before" completely understandable.
Of course the first contact described is not the official one :wink:

The one with the mayden Voyage of the Enterprise is "Final Frontier" by Diane Carey.
The title is not to be confused with the 5th movie :)
It also features a very different solution to the impulse powered Romual Birds of Prey.

For those of us who speak German and who might not mind translated books, there far fewer mistakes in them than in movies, there is a collection called "Star Trek Die Anfänge" which contains "The First Adventure" "Strangers from the Sky" and "Final Frontier".
If you want to know how many great ideas of the books have been ignored by mainstream Trek those three are clearly an excellent way to start.
Klingons howling for applause is certainly an interesting idea...

eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:22 pm

Scotty is in other books as well. He is the head of the Starfleet corp of engineers.

marhawkman
Commander
Commander

Post by marhawkman » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:35 pm

Ah, yes, the SCE books are great. :) they have Bynars!

eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:21 pm

marhawkman wrote:Ah, yes, the SCE books are great. :) they have Bynars!
And they have Sonya Gomez! 8) I had such a crush on her, then they got rid of her after only two episodes of TNG.

Ummmm, baby.

KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:11 am

The cacao aunt? I guess Picard transferred her into the ships-laundry after the incident.
Still goes on my nerves with her babbleing if I watch the episode(s). Although the text she rattles through isn't unimportant and tells some fudamental aspect about mankind.

I liked Gomtuu more then her. And Marina Sirtis, of course, too :)

Maybe it was Sonya's hairstyle which scared me off. Or the cocoa. Or the babbleing. Or all 3 abominations combined together ;)

But I know this type of women who just babble and babble and never stop but you don't care about because you have a crush on them ;)
The annoying gaggle sounds like music then. :)

Archos
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Archos » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:03 am

I generally like to think of the books set after the TV series (2379 onwards) and from say 2300 - 2340s as canon, since there is nothing to directly contradict them other than the shi*e that Bill Shatner comes up with...lol. The destiny series is very good...features Enterprise, Titan and Ezra Dax's ship...and the USS Voyager under the command of Captain Chakotay and Commander Tom Paris...read quite a few of other books too.
Captain Nathan Dixon
Executive Officer, Starbase Pegasus
Siren Fleet
http://pegasus.siren-fleet.com/forums

marhawkman
Commander
Commander

Post by marhawkman » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:18 pm

Yick, Shatner's are the worst. Except maybe John De Lancie's... Not sure which is worse...

Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:11 pm

marhawkman wrote:Yick, Shatner's are the worst. Except maybe John De Lancie's... Not sure which is worse...

Actually, I rather liked de Lancie's I, Q. Although it didn't hurt that Peter David was his co-author. :P
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

marhawkman
Commander
Commander

Post by marhawkman » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:36 pm

Was "I, Q" the one about the end of the universe and how the rest of the Q conspired to keep Q from finding out? that's the one that I was thinking of.

Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:27 pm

marhawkman wrote:Was "I, Q" the one about the end of the universe and how the rest of the Q conspired to keep Q from finding out? that's the one that I was thinking of.

Yep, that's the one.

It's a surprisingly funny book, too. I loved the part with the Grand Nagus; the entire scene was a shout-out to The Princess Bride. :lol:
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

marhawkman
Commander
Commander

Post by marhawkman » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:04 pm

Funny, yes, maybe it was the whole scale of things that put me off.

james09ralf
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by james09ralf » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:54 am

Hi,

I didn't know all these things until now. Thanks for the info!

Regards,
James
Pret travaux

smallaxe0217
Ensign
Ensign

Post by smallaxe0217 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:26 pm

MrD wrote: Those purple bug things from "Conspiracy".
According to Data the mother creature that took over Remmick sent a homing beacon.
As far as I know that was never revisited because the idea evolved into the Borg.
Those parasites actually play a major role in the book "Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Unity". In my opinion, the Star Trek DS9 novels are the best Star Trek fiction out there, in general...it's almost like seasons 8 and 9 of Deep Space Nine.

Return to “General Chat Archive”