Star Trek dangling plotlines

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

marhawkman
Commander
Commander

Star Trek dangling plotlines

Post by marhawkman »

Just how many unresolved plot lines were there before the "reboot"?

Most of the episodes in the first season of TNG left SOMETHING unresolved. Whether it was Gomtuu, or where the Crystalline planet killer came from.

What I'm wondering is just how many things that were left unresolved there really are.
MrD
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by MrD »

Right now I can only think of a few:

Those purple bug things from "Conspiracy".
According to Data the mother creature that took over Remmick sent a homing beacon.
As far as I know that was never revisited because the idea evolved into the Borg.

The bodyless criminals from "Power Play" that took over O'Brian, Troi and Data.
The one that took over Troi said something to Picard that he should not cross his/her path again.

What happened to the Angosian super soldiers? Did the government manage to reverse the process to make them normal citizens again?

Hugh's Borg group?
Did the Quenn let them remain free or did she send a ship to either reintegrate or exterminate them?
chestermike
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by chestermike »

Where did the species that wanted to talk to hump back whales come from?

Did the Borg survive future Janeways virus attack? If so how many and how strong are they?

When will Sisko come out of the wormhole? What future tasks do the prophets have for him to do? If the prophets arent linear, hasnt Sisko already done those tasks?

Will B4 ever emulate Data?

Will the romulans recover from having the entire senate assassinated?

Will the klingons ever recover from the war? (They were down to just 1500 ships when the Breen entered the war)

What happened to the remaining Dominion ships and troops in the alpha quadrant? Would the prophets let them back through to the gamma quadrant? Or did the cardassians execute them all?
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

What the heck happend to Spock on Romulus?!?!
marhawkman
Commander
Commander

Post by marhawkman »

Oooh! I forgot about Remmick! That was soemthing that really made me wonder when I saw the episode.

Well, that and a lot of others, I'm gonna have to find time to actually make a proper list. :)
HsojVvad
Commodore
Commodore

Post by HsojVvad »

I actually thought the creature in Remmick were the same ones in Times Arrow, where data was thrust into the past and met Mark Twain.

But alas when the new season started it wasn't ment to be. They didn't use it.

There is a book about the whales after Star Trek IV. I forgot what it was about, but I enjoyed it.

What I want to know, is what happened, to Tasha's daughter. What came of her?

Also what became of Scotty? He left with shuttle craft, never to be herd from again. Or was it told in a book? I can't remember now lol.
PRIUSQUAM PRAESENS DAMNATUS SALVENS :
HIC HOMO NESCIENS. QUAE FUTURA EST ?

EST PLANE VANUM?
MAGNIFICANDUM?
ERROR AUT SANUM?
O FORTUNA EST!
QUA?
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

HsojVvad wrote: Also what became of Scotty? He left with shuttle craft, never to be herd from again. Or was it told in a book? I can't remember now lol.
In the books he became the head of the Starflleet Corp of Engineers. And he is the one who designed the Sovereign class starship.
marhawkman
Commander
Commander

Post by marhawkman »

Interesting: http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Neural_ ... h_century)
In one of the books they were said to have been created by the TRILL of all people...

time's Arrow??? I don't see the resemblence.

Sela apparently continued to serve in the Romulan military. Even though she's the only blond Romulan.... they apparently treat her as one of their own.

Actually Time's Arrow brings up a question. What happened to the Devidian race? And for that matter, where did they come from?
HsojVvad
Commodore
Commodore

Post by HsojVvad »

Just saw the end of TNG again today, "All Good Things..." and just noticed, probably because of this post, that Q said they will still keep watching and that Picard is still not finished yet being in the court room. Picard said, I hope this is the last time I will be here. Q said something like no, it's not. There is more for Picard and humanity to save.

Of course in the movies they never bothered with it, and probably because they didn't bother with ST cannon, made crappy movies like Insurection and Nemisis.

EST PLANE VANUM?
MAGNIFICANDUM?
ERROR AUT SANUM?
O FORTUNA EST!
QUA?
Archos
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Archos »

Nemesis was awesome...if you got past the crap editting...Insurrection and Generations were crap.

In the novels, (Destiny) The Borg are wiped out after they invade the Alpha Quadrant, Ezri Dax becomes Captain of a Vesta Class Quantum Slipstream Starship and finds the Columbia NX-02 in the Gamma Quadrant http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Trek:_Destiny

...in one of the later books, the programming restrictions on B4 are fixed and he has Data's memory and personality programmed into him and becomes Data, who then takes over as Captain of the enterprise. Memory Beta and Memory Alpha have the information if you look hard enough :)
Captain Nathan Dixon
Executive Officer, Starbase Pegasus
Siren Fleet
http://pegasus.siren-fleet.com/forums
marhawkman
Commander
Commander

Post by marhawkman »

I can agree with insurrection. It just reeked of lame plot devices. Generations had a high enough coolness factor to not be annoying.
HsojVvad
Commodore
Commodore

Post by HsojVvad »

I loved Generations, thought it was a Star Trek movie. Insurection and Nemisis just seemed like a 2 parter TNG tv show, that is why I don't like them.

Did we ever find out who the aliens were, the one where the humans swallowed them and a little tail stuck out the back of their neck? I think Remek was his name, had one and Picard and Riker shot him and blew him up.

Then you get the message going through space, I always wanted to know who they were. So did we find out in a book or what not what they were?

EST PLANE VANUM?
MAGNIFICANDUM?
ERROR AUT SANUM?
O FORTUNA EST!
QUA?
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

I've never read even one of the Star Trek books tbh but I'm interested about the plotlines and some other things.

1.Was anything from the books assumed to the TV-Series?
2.Were the books written by writers who worked on the series?
3.And/Or were they just ordered by the franchise to exploit the Star Trek Idea in another way? (I mean f.e. the William Shatner books I've seen)

Don't take this questions as offence ST book readers. I know for some time that HsojVvad f.e. likes the books more then some of the movies.

to 1. I guess most of the books came later then the series. But it would be interesting to know if "they"'ve taken something from the books into the later shows.

Perhaps some of Bill Shatner ideas found their ways to TNG or Enterprise. Would be interesting to know. Don't want to buy all of the books to find it out. Still have enough to read left here ;)

Also I read for the first time that Scotty invented the Souvereign class. Sounds awesome. I wanted allways to know what he did in the 24th century - apart from children - the results we already seen in STVOY:EF2

The books were uninteresting for me, as yet, because ST allways was a TV-Show for me and not a book series. Maybe something for the holidays...

I personally think that they marginally mentioned some things here and there like they allways do ;)
MrD
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by MrD »

There is a great range in quality in the book area.
Some of them are really not that great, but there are a few gems among them.
Unfortunately most contents are simply ignored by the shows.
For example several of the books that were written in the 80's were written to be consistent with the FASA RPG materials.
Since the FASA stuff was ignored, a great deal of the book material is..umm..outdated.
A very interesting example is the Voyager book "Pathways" which was written before the show ended and that was supposed to be canon since was written by the Jeri Taylor.
Well a nice idea while it lasted.
When the contents of the book were ignored during the later part of the show the canon status went *poof*.
So it is a matter of choice now what you take as canon and what you don't.
Those who hate Enterprise might be better off enjoying parts of the FASA backstory or stuff like "Starfleet: Year One" a book about a Daedalus with pats of a backstory that was ignored by the poweres behind Enterprise.
I've read or heard (audiobooks) a few and some are just boring while some a really good and fit perfectly into the Trek universe.
I like the Vanguard books, they really feel like TOS. And they fit perfectly.
Those of the "Lost Eara" books I have are good especially "The Art of the Impossible" was great in my opinion.
Currently I'm reading the "Left hand of Destiny" Books by J.G. Hertzler (Martok) and Jeffry Lang.
They are about Martok's return to Qo'nos right after the Dominion War and it's great.

I plan on getting the Enterprise books that are about the time after Season 4, they are about the upcomint Romulan War and explain Trip's absolutely stupid stunt which got himself killed in "These are the Voyages" as falsified history. :D
He was alive after that event but worked as a secret agent so to speak.

So the answer is not easy and the quality of the books is very mixed...

Oh and I hope my comments about what books I like do not cound as advertising.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

thx for the answer and the useful information MrD. The Enterprise books sound interesting to me. Perhaps a better ending than in TV? ;)

I still don't understand what they wanted to accomplish with their last episodes in ENT. It seems that they got a message 10 episodes before the end that the show definetely will end. Then they were forced to bring some ideas of later planned episodes together.

If you ask me, "they" (Berman and Braga and perhaps Piller or whoever was in charge) weren't bold enough. Every ST show had it struggles at least for 3 seasons. :/

Maybe some new books can repair some of the damage but I doubt it. Must be really good books then. And after the "success" of the series...

I dunno... but I will take a look in the books. Thanks for mention them.

If you have some more rare gems feel free to post 'em :)

Return to “General Chat Archive”