Does the AI, use wormholes?

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

HsojVvad
Commodore
Commodore

Does the AI, use wormholes?

Post by HsojVvad »

I got my arse hit again, so I gave up, and went to a lower difficulty level yet again :oops:

I loved this game since I had lot's of wormholes and used them to get to the other side of the galaxy. Maybe that is why I got my arse handed to me. I met them too soon because of the worm hole and they were able to defeat me because of espionage and better fleets.

One thing I noticed, is was since I only had 30 ships, and they had a task force of 92 ships, why didn't the AI go through the worm hole to attack my home systems?

So I am wundering does the AI use wormholes, or they don't and only we the players use them.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

very rarely but yes

thunderchero
DOT
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by DOT »

I have observed once that a ferengi scout came through a wormhole.

Since I never ever again saw the AI using the wormhole I don't expect AI sending troop transporters to the other side to build a outpost. Guess there is no code for such behavore inside trek.exe.
life long and prosper
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

Ah wormholes ... I used to love them. There was something fun about finding a wormhole, finding out it takes you to the far side of the map and then the extra thrill of sending a TT to build a base over the other side so you can colonise the surrounding space.

Nowadays I steer clear of them ... the later I run into the AI the better for me :twisted:
Computers! [Expletive deleted]

My 4shared folder
SpiN
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by SpiN »

Has some one experimented with wormeholes in large maps?, they could be potentially very useful.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

i made a map that was 75 x 55 and in an irregular galaxy it spawned somewhere around 4 working wormholes (4 wormholes = 8 endpoints) and i do believe there was 1 (maybe 2) nonworking wormholes :P
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
HsojVvad
Commodore
Commodore

Post by HsojVvad »

stardust wrote:Ah wormholes ... I used to love them. There was something fun about finding a wormhole, finding out it takes you to the far side of the map and then the extra thrill of sending a TT to build a base over the other side so you can colonise the surrounding space.

Nowadays I steer clear of them ... the later I run into the AI the better for me :twisted:
That is probably why I was doing so bad in my games. I met the AI to soon and too under developed.
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

why waste a good scout on a wormhole note its existance and send a tt through if it survives build an outpost and explore if not you've not lost a scout!
HsojVvad
Commodore
Commodore

Post by HsojVvad »

Peter1981 wrote:why waste a good scout on a wormhole note its existance and send a tt through if it survives build an outpost and explore if not you've not lost a scout!
After loosing 5 scouts that way, I just finally lernt that yesterday. Then again, I always rolled played a bit, and thought it would be more real to send a scout instead. But yesterday for the first time, that is what I did.

Lucky for me this time, I didn't loos the troop transport and built the star base. I was sort of dreading it, since my last 5 games I lost because of early contact with a Major. So far no Major yet.
marhawkman
Commander
Commander

Post by marhawkman »

Um... which is less expensive?
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

HsojVvad wrote:
Peter1981 wrote:why waste a good scout on a wormhole note its existance and send a tt through if it survives build an outpost and explore if not you've not lost a scout!
After loosing 5 scouts that way, I just finally lernt that yesterday. Then again, I always rolled played a bit, and thought it would be more real to send a scout instead. But yesterday for the first time, that is what I did.

Lucky for me this time, I didn't loos the troop transport and built the star base. I was sort of dreading it, since my last 5 games I lost because of early contact with a Major. So far no Major yet.
build some destroyers and send them thru the wormhole with a few scouts, look for minors, gift them til they 'pop', then member them, build a base, build more destroyers and tt's to protect new members... and dont forget to send at least 2 colony ships to the wormhole to colonize a few close planet with high pops :P
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

marhawkman wrote:Um... which is less expensive?

Given the way you ask that question, I suspect you already know the answer. :P For the record, though, scouts are cheaper in 3 out of the 4 versions of the game I currently have: vanilla, BOP, & UDM3 (only in stardust's ATA mod are scouts generally more expensive).

That, of course, then begs the question: Why are you guys sending TT's through wormholes first instead of cheaper (and therefore more replaceable) scout vessels? Given that at best only around half of all wormholes are stable, is it really worth risking losing those more expensive troops transports?

(Not a rhetorical question, by the way. I'm really asking!)
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
HsojVvad
Commodore
Commodore

Post by HsojVvad »

Right now I am using the All Ages Mod Large. It takes 2 turns for a TT and 3 turns for a scout. I am not shure if this is the norm or not, but that is why I use TT now.
PRIUSQUAM PRAESENS DAMNATUS SALVENS :
HIC HOMO NESCIENS. QUAE FUTURA EST ?

EST PLANE VANUM?
MAGNIFICANDUM?
ERROR AUT SANUM?
O FORTUNA EST!
QUA?
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

HsojVvad wrote:Right now I am using the All Ages Mod Large. It takes 2 turns for a TT and 3 turns for a scout. I am not shure if this is the norm or not, but that is why I use TT now.
Ah yeah, that'll be my doing. I made the uprated TT cheap and then you've got a later and more advanced scout higher up the tech tree to play with that's more expensive to build.
Computers! [Expletive deleted]

My 4shared folder
HsojVvad
Commodore
Commodore

Post by HsojVvad »

stardust wrote:
HsojVvad wrote:Right now I am using the All Ages Mod Large. It takes 2 turns for a TT and 3 turns for a scout. I am not shure if this is the norm or not, but that is why I use TT now.
Ah yeah, that'll be my doing. I made the uprated TT cheap and then you've got a later and more advanced scout higher up the tech tree to play with that's more expensive to build.
You made the mod?

Return to “General Chat Archive”