The game's popularity in Germany?

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

The game's popularity in Germany?

Post by Martok »

I know this is sort of an odd question, but I've been wondering about it for a while now:

I've no doubt it's been commented on before, but I've been aware for a long time now that an uncommonly large number of my fellow BOTF fans seem to hail from Deutschland. Also, our German brethren seem to have made a similarly disproportionately large contribution to the game over the years as well (especially in terms of modding, bug fixes, etc.).

Anyway, I'm just curious as to why this is. Any thoughts on the subject?

God bless the German BOTF community! 8)
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

There also used to be many German botf players that played in multi mode.

Sadly those days are gone. :(

Edit: Subzero and I used to play many many team games together as well as many 1 vs 1's. I've always wondered why more ppl don't play team games as they are the most fun you'll ever have in botf. A 2 vs 3 game is the most balance you'll find in botf and by far the most fun.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

I think we germans simply love great strategical games. :lol:
No idea, but Star Trek always has been very popular in germany and exploring and colonizing the galaxy has always been a big dream over here.
And you know, germans tend to be megalomaniacal. :mrgreen:

Remembering back my time when I've bought that game, it has been like a big treasure to unpack. I even spent a whole day to actually read the manual!
And I know some friends have done the same.
In that time, there only has been the star trek scifi series in tv (at least on the channels I could receive) and no other game involved exploring space as good as botf. And you all know, when you got addicted to this game once, you'll never forget, even if you don't play. ;)

I wouldn't wonder when german people start playing this game online again. Few years back with some people starting there even happened to be a small german mp community again with people that found their old dusted box (till the website got hacked and it closed). Some might hope and wait for a BotF2 by now, but with some more progress over here, many might come back. Also, many of them I've I talked to at least get out their dusted box once a year or once in a while.

many greets from germany,
Flocke
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

after Flockes post I just can add one thing which is a little idea about the popularity of BotF in Germany.

In my opinion it has something to do with the pr and everything around it in those days back in 99.

I was a astounded as I read somewhere that the game got bad reviews in many countries. Can't prove it because I only read the german "specialized press". Perhaps more german game-journalists liked MoO2 and eagerly awaited its "follower".

I remember some good review articles (PC Games and PC Action) which helped me to keep my endurance until the day of the final release. Dunno how often I looked at the pictures. The possibility to play the Federation, Klingons or Romulans in sp and mp from the early start seemed to be a brilliant and awesome idea.

As a Star Trek fan definitely a must-have!
MrD
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by MrD »

Not all of the reviews were good, "Gamestar" gave it a mixed one at best.
But personally I still think it's a great game.
Part of the popularity probably also came from the assumtion Botf might be some kind of unofficial successor to Master of Orion 2, which it was not but it is still fun.
Additionally, although this might not sound very flattering for Botf, there are fewer 4x games actually published over here.
The Space Empires series for example is not that well known.
So there was very little competition in the German market.
DS9 and Voyager were during their first run on German TV (on SAT1) and "First Contact" had made a lasting impression a few years back.
And it's still the only 4x Trek game around, even though there are Trek mods for other games, like Space Empires IV for example, it's not the same.
A certain feeling, a certein atmosphere, is missing
It's the feeling that made the shows and other games like "Starfleet Academy" a success.
So there is only Botf, and it will stay that way.

What I find interesting is that there are a few buddies of mine who play next to no 4X games and who are no big Trek fans, but they play Botf.
A good friend of mine recently told me how surprised he had been that a mutual friend, who plays primarily "Crysis" and "World in Conflict", had called him and asked "how does a nice round of Botf sound?"
So there is something about this game, even after a decade, that is...magical.
Why its so many of us Germans, I have no idea.
Maybe we just enjoy something that's great and enjoy enjoying it together with others (I hope this makes sense to everyone).

To infinity and beyond!

Regards from Essen, Germany.
SpiN
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by SpiN »

There is also the fact that the only language in which Boft was translated is german. In a lot of european conutries wasn't even published.
Trelane_of_gothos
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Trelane_of_gothos »

Flocke wrote:I think we germans simply love great strategical games. :lol:
*no words*^^
ruthlessferengi
Multiple Tournament Champion

Post by ruthlessferengi »

it must be the water you guys drink...:) in north america i have yet live in the same state/province with someone who plays botf... well, it happened once, that was my brother who has "retired from the game"... must be nice to be able to get a totally nerdy lan party etc... :))
Last edited by ruthlessferengi on Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
29BQ
Ensign
Ensign

Post by 29BQ »

Flocke wrote:
And you know, germans tend to be megalomaniacal. :mrgreen:
Too much of a stereotype?? XD

PS: I acknowledge that Germans are very good at the strategy. No deny about it.
ruthlessferengi

Post by ruthlessferengi »

Quote: And you know, germans tend to be megalomaniacal.

as do russians and americans... heck, Mickar is a total megalomaniac :)) and he is canadian! :)
Last edited by ruthlessferengi on Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

Germany has quite a big trek fandom split up in many organisations which all had their own printed magazine. now these times are gone more or less, with the internet moving in:

The January 99 issue of the "Trekworld" had an article about botf. the following 3 magazines always had some updated info or an advertisement about botf. i guess it was the same in the "communicator" and the other magazines.
Public BotF / EF2 Teamspeak 3 Server: 83.169.13.55

Return to “General Chat Archive”