XP error help. Pleeeeaaase

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

Jaja
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

XP error help. Pleeeeaaase

Post by Jaja »

Hay.
I've recently got back into my old style games. So tried to run Birth of the Fed on my XP machine. It runs fine in XP compatibility mode set to 2000, except for when I get to the game interface after you chose a race the mouse flickers and disappears, the cursor works fine up to then. :(

I can tell its moving as the square the mouse is on changes at the top, the right click menu comes up and I can view the planet screen and other options/screens if I pay attention to the wording at the top. I just cant see the cursor.

When I try to install the patch I can't get the game to run at all.

Anyone have any ideas on what I can try?

I did try going into the mouse control panel and unchecking the hide pointer while typing option and checking the show mouse pointer when you press Ctrl. The second works, sort of, but the game freezes if I press it to long. When the game freezes I can move the cursor around fine though just can't play the game which is annoying.

I've tried choosing a different race, but no joy.

I've tried the other compatibility options again no joy.

Anyone have any ideas as I really want to play it, and then look at moding it but when it's kinda hard to play if I can't see the cursor.

Cheers to anyone who has any ideas.
carcher
Commander
Commander

Post by carcher »

hi jaja and welcome
your best optipn may be to go to the download section and get your hands on the mutli installer mod.

with this mod you need no cd.no patches or anything else, its a god send(or more accuratly a " thunderchero send" :D )

have a look for the multi installer thread all the info is there

edit,here it is

http://armadafleetcommand.com/onscreen/ ... opic&t=548
for the world is hollow and i have touched the sky....and one day mickar.....one day.....one sweet day......HAS ARRIVED!! HAPPY DAYS :D
Jaja
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Jaja »

Okay wkd I've managed to get the patch to work but it still does the same thing, and will randomly freeze on the Galactic map, the videos also don't play but I'm downloading it now so hopefully it will fix it.

If it does I'm definitely going to be taking a look at the mod section on here. Cheers Carcher very much appreciated.
DOT
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by DOT »

hello,

to me it seems that you either use some other mouse settings which messes up BotF (like autmatic jump to default button) or you maybe had installed a special mouse driver shipped with your mouse?
If you have the setup cd from XP maybe it is an option to install the mouse driver again, if nothing other fixes the error.
life long and prosper
jonboylondon
Captain
Captain

Post by jonboylondon »

Run in win95 compatability mode.
Monks: Pie Jesu Domine, dona eis requiem
[bonk!]

Return to “General Chat Archive”