Who do you play as and why?

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

Which BOTF Civilization do you play as?

Romulan Star Empire
24%
United Federation of Planets
41%
Klingon Empire
15%
Cardassian Union
15%
Ferengi Alliance
5%

Total votes: 41

Elim
Ensign
Ensign

Who do you play as and why?

Post by Elim »

Which BOTF Civilization is your favorite and why?
HsojVvad
Commodore
Commodore

Post by HsojVvad »

I play the Federation, since I love their ships. I don't know, I always like the Federation when watching the TV shows and movies. Even when I played Space games either video or Table top, it was always Federation ships. Who dosn't want to be in command of the Enterprise? That is next to be flying the Mellenium Falcon.

Once I finished a game or two as the Federation, I
think I will try out the Romulans next.
PRIUSQUAM PRAESENS DAMNATUS SALVENS :
HIC HOMO NESCIENS. QUAE FUTURA EST ?

EST PLANE VANUM?
MAGNIFICANDUM?
ERROR AUT SANUM?
O FORTUNA EST!
QUA?
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

Gah! I wish our polls here allowed for multiple voting.

My favorite race to play as is the Romulans, with the Federation a close second and the Klingons a more distant third. Only on occasion do I play as the Cardassians or Ferengi (although they do still get at least a little love from me).

Why I like to play as the Romulans: They're the most balanced race, with bonuses & abilities in multiple areas (most notably intel & research) and relatively few weaknesses. It's also easy to keep your people happy; except for if/when you lose a battle or star system, not much upsets them. Finally, their ships just look damn cool (especially the Warbird and R'Derex-class), and the fact that all your combat vessels can cloak doesn't hurt either. :wink:

Why I like to play as the Federation: Familiarity -- both in the sense that they're our own race, and in that most Star Trek episodes are from the Federation's perspective. In addition, the Feds have good research, diplomacy, & economy, which plays to my strengths/preferences as a "turtler". And like HsojVvad, you just gotta love their ships. :)

Why I like to play as the Klingons: The single biggest reason is their fleet -- I've always especially loved the Bird-of-Prey design, as well as the fact that they can cloak. Also, I find the Klingons' UI, visuals, combat voice-overs, and soundtrack to be particularly atmospheric (even more so than the other races, which is saying something); they really do a good job of providing a sense of immersion and pulling me into the game-world.
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
DOT
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by DOT »

I LOVE the romulans
and I like to play the Klingons, and sometimes I choose the Cardassians

BTW: as long as not otherwise noted, I refer to vanilla values

Why I love the romulan empire:
They are so wonderfull weak - especially their ships. Strip them off the cloaking ability and you have the weakest ships in space. When modding some values so that hitting and destroying within one turn isn't so usual anymore the romulan ships loose their advantage of cloaking and get destroyed on regular base (as long it is one against one).
On the other hand they are wonderfull balanced. They have a strong intel (absolutely necessary when meeting those honorless Cards), good science and the farm output is okay - at least from level 4 on. Production and money output is weak after all.
But most I like the romulan morale. They don't like failures or weak tactic, they prefer to wait a little longer before hitting the target. And I love the romulan war ship design. Maybe I like them most because they are something like outsiders in the game and in the Star trek universe. Always had a heart for outsiders.

Why I like the klingon empire:
There is no flaw in their honor. You meet a klingon, you know how they will act. No lies, no hidden tactic. You are weak, they come after you. You are stronger, they declare war nethertheless. That has an inner true.
Intel is their most weakness, followed by money. The morale could be easily corrected by scrapping the prison mine (right translation?).
And their ships. Well, one has to fall in love with such ships: beauty, strong (weapons), fast and mean. Okay, their shields are even weaker than those of the romulans (and that has to say a lot after all), but first one has to hit a klingon.

About the cardassian empire:
Hm, what should I say? They have no money. Playing the Cards means to know how to play them. They are more a challenge than the Feds or the Ferengis. Any morale doupt is pointless.

Why I don't like the fereni empire or the Feds:
With money there is no need to be good at playing. Just buy what you want, compared thot he other empires there is nearly no limit, as long as one expand fast enough.
And their ships. Where is the challange, when at low or middle tech level no one can stand their ship stats? With those shields it is no problem to survive orbital attacks and conquer whoever one wants to...
They are the micro§ofts of the game play - and that is the main reason I don't like to play them.
life long and prosper
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

my favs are 1. klingons and 2. romulans

why klingons?
As klingons i can play an agressive tactic and don't have to care about treaties and friendship. when i wan't to conquer something i can do that and my ppl love me for that. also i don't have to care about intel at all just set security to 100% and you're quite save. their ships and voices are also quite cool, especially now with all these mods, thanks to their cloak and to their cheap maintenance you can easily take care of any opponent. together with a well experienced crew your fleet becomes unstoppable.

why romulans?
as roms you can play entirely different than the klingons. no matter what you do your ppl will like you. simply hang out in your area and build up a fleet while your tal shiar guys keep the galaxy busy and help you developing your research by stealing others findings.
once the time is there you suddenly show up with a big cloaked fleet and bomb down your opponents homeworld.
Public BotF / EF2 Teamspeak 3 Server: 83.169.13.55
mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

I can't really answer that question as it depends on what mod, what tech level, what race my opponent is taking and/or what race I feel like playing on any given day.
Susanoo
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Susanoo »

I have played this game ages ago for like a few weeks and then put it aside. I rediscovered it only a few weeks ago, however I find it hard to play Cards. I prefer to play Feds cos getting races early is easier. However my first week I played Romulans almost exclusively in vanilla cos they are the most balanced race in my opinion.
In UDM though so far I love the Feds.
marhawkman
Commander
Commander

Post by marhawkman »

romulans, federation, and ferengi. I've never liked the other two as their approach requires all out war to be successful.
anjel
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by anjel »

I`ve always played as federation. I don`t know why, maybe because i feel i´m inmerse in the series and building a new history on my own, and of course a like the ships. It would be nice to have a luna and vesta class in the game (sorry, just a thougth).

Live long and....
Live long and propser
Ovarwa
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Ovarwa »

Hi,

In vanilla, I like the Cardassians. They have no money, but with good industry and scrapping, who cares? Their ships aren't that good, but the Cruiser II is pleasantly beefy and it's easy to get a lot of them. Research after that is really unnecessary. Their intel is awesome. Great production, beefy Cruiser IIs, awesome intel, solid morale. I like Klingons too: K'vort II, ftw. The Romulans are well-rounded, but for some reason I don't really enjoy them.

In BoP, I like the Ferengi. Their game is fluid, their primary ship, the Marauder is just ok, but it is fast and versatile, never obsolete. They have the most to gain from colonization, and do it well. I also like the Romulans, thoroughly versatile except for poor industry/finance. I don't enjoy the Cardasians; their whole empire is slow and ponderous. (That probably matters less on a tiny map at high tech against human opponents. :) )

These days, I don't play BotF that often, but when I do, I prefer BoP. :)

Anyway,

Ken
ruthlessferengi
Multiple Tournament Champion
Multiple Tournament Champion

Post by ruthlessferengi »

in vanilla, Ferengi are very much overlooked. while they have no training/poor starting experience they have ships that are totally awesome. upgraded raider is the best ship all around in the game, only second to that other fed tub that you never get to play with in mp - too long to research. it is not an ideal ship - poor hull, but it's one heck of a vessell... true, in most mp ferengi will lose to a half-decent opponent, but i still like them... in fluids mod, they are given better chance to compete... with maraud and striker at speed 2 - they are a force to recon with. BOP is basically a ferengi love song

having said this, i really can't single out any race that i won't play and enjoy - i like klings/roms/cards... it took me awhile to discover feds but eventually (thanks to mickar) i got around and am starting to learn how to play them in mp - they are tough, but fun... feds are very strong in fluids...
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
marhawkman
Commander
Commander

Post by marhawkman »

Yeah, my general strategy in the game involves convincing AIs to join me. Roms aren't too good there, but not bad. Fed obviously is best, but Ferengi have more money to throw at the problem.
Ovarwa
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Ovarwa »

Hi,
ruthlessferengi wrote:chance to compete... with maraud and striker at speed 2 - they are a force to recon with. BOP is basically a ferengi love song
An early contact with the Cardassians or Romulans can really ruin their day; other than that, they are very happy campers. BoP also showers love upon the Romulans. No real weaknesses.
having said this, i really can't single out any race that i won't play and enjoy - i like klings/roms/cards... it took me awhile to discover feds but eventually (thanks to mickar) i got around and am starting to learn how to play them in mp - they are tough, but fun... feds are very strong in fluids...
Hmm. Maybe I need to try that mod.

(The fix I'm so hoping for is having ships always attack in their listed order. I hate having to reorder enough to play less often than I otherwise might.)

Anyway,

Ken
AnunZi
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by AnunZi »

Cardies for me. Never play anything else.

I love the intel strength and industry. Yeah your ships are a bit poo, but you can churn them out fast. Also i preffer the interface for them, alot cleaner than the others.
garek
Ensign
Ensign

Post by garek »

Vanilla Klingons sometimes Roms
you have to be patient with Roms and take it slower

UDM III Klingons or Roms

Error Correcting Mod Klingons and Roms

in all 3 versions I like the Klingon and Rom ships
Check your 6 a sqadron of K'vorts is decloaking

Return to “General Chat Archive”