Terraforming

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

if one colony ship early whole system if part of a fleet of colony ships or cheap fast colony ships avaliable then one planet and colonise
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

For me, it's a matter of proportional returns -- or "bang for your buck", to put it more colloquially. :wink: I tend to use a mathematical formula that could be roughly expressed as: "If the number of turns to terraform a planet is less than the planet's population divided by 10, then I will terraform the planet in the initial colonization."

To use an example: Say an O-class (oceanic) planet has a maximum population of 100 (million), and can be terraformed in 3 turns. Since 100 divided by 10 equals 10 -- and 10 is obviously greater than 3 -- then it's definitely worthwhile to terraform this planet before I colonize the star system.

To use another example: A G-class (desert) planet has a maximum population of 80 (million), and can be terraformed in 5 turns. Since 80 divided by 10 equals 8 -- and 8 is greater than 5 -- then this planet is also worth terraforming before I colonize the star system.

And yet a third example: A Y-class (volcanic) planet has a maximum population of 70 (million), and can be terraformed in 8 turns. Since 70 divided by 10 equals 7 -- and 7 is less than 8 -- I will not terraform this planet before colonizing the star system.

Using this formula, it usually works out that I end up terraforming all G-class, L-class, O-class, and P-class planets before colonizing a star system. Conversely, I generally do not terraform J-class and Y-class planets until later.
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

timmy wrote: Do you terraform one planet or the entire system before colony?
the whole terraforming topic is very substantial so I have no perfect scheme for it. It depends basically on the situation my empire is (in need for credits - shipbuilding or whatever) and how I want to develop. So it is dependent to a lot of factors.

I send at least 2 cs to a colony to get the first planet in time. (2nd cs may arrive some turns later). Since we now have almost one class m planet per system - I take this one (which makes terraforming very boring). I don't terraform every planet in the system and then get it. this takes to long while you already could've built something in the new system + pop + moral. depends. If I want to force my moral and am into shipbuilding (less credits to buy stuff in the new colony) then I might consider to terraform anything in it first. but cs' are very vulnerable so I don't use this option very often...

the 2nd cs colonizes whats left in the system asap. I had very very often climate shifts in new systems. I would say this always happend to the single colonized planet in the system and never to an uncolonized one. so I try to colonize them all very fast.

I take those planets first of which I haven't got very much. the quick ones at first. So if I lack of class y "planets" I terraform them earlier then other ones. Just to have an expanded spectrum in my overall planets. Its just logical. If you only got class m planets then only class m planets will get climate shifts and since we have no gaja planets (as yet) they can only degrade.

if I play with random=off (most in mp) then my terraforming "tactics" differ a bit ;)
marhawkman
Commander
Commander

Post by marhawkman »

I prefer having multiple ships. I send in a few and whichever gets done first colonizes while the others finish terraforming. If I'm stuck with one ship I'll at least terrform the big planets before colonizing.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Depends on how the Fleet Admiral (me) is feeling on that particular day :P
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
Elim
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Elim »

I tend to terraform all the planets in a system prior to colonization in order to save time and not "waste" the colony ship. There are, of course, exceptions: If I need to establish myself in the system/expand my territory quickly to keep a rival from moving in/drive a treaty power further out of my space/etc then sometimes I will snatch the system more quickly and fix it up when I get the chance.
Just plain, simple, Garak.
Chernabog
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Chernabog »

My preference is to terraform whichever planet (if any) has a food bonus and then colonise. Another ship will come along later to terraform the rest. I prefer to get the population increasing sooner rather than later.

Later on in the game though,when perhaps you already have 10 or so systems then I will often terraform the lot before colonising.

Regards,

C.

Return to “General Chat Archive”