I guess it's time for me to say goodbye

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

I guess it's time for me to say goodbye

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

"All of this has happened before, and it will all happen again."
After that I kinda lost interest in that [BotF modding] world. It seems to be filled with people claiming the next great idea but no way of (...) Oh well...
http://www.jeremyreimer.com/smam3/viewt ... f=2&t=4424

My dear friends of the BotF modding,

of late my comments have become undiplomatic and finally even unfair and with technical mistakes. Every single login dealing with demanding behavior,- silly believe in power of source code,- elaborated, undidactic novels for single byte modifications,- & nonsensical questions like "are trek.exe limitations for buildings signed ?" (i.e. can we add more than 2,147,483,647 resp. 32,767 buildings). Despite of the fact that I'm a really fast reader, in the end there was no time left for own projects (not to mention some demanding people spamming their requests via PMs as well).

But I don't blame it on others, truth to be told, the motivation died long before. And I always hated being online or spending time with PCs. :x

So I guess it's time for me to say goodbye. Well, yeah. Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed the great spirit of teamwork at this place (special thanks to Gowron 8) without him, I wouldn't have been here, thunderchero & DCER, also Flocke and many more).

AFC is a great community with great members, so I hope that someone will continue with things like the Modding Index and improving / cleaning up the Coding section (no blah blah guy - I'd suggest asking ketteringdave). Whoever it will be, I'm sure you will find your own way i.e. balance of clean summary/info and room for questions. :)

Some of my unfinished projects & thoughts:

-> Modding Index (split "coding stuff" from tutorials, add a res-files section & add experimental stuff e.g. combat.bin to unfinished projects?)

-> Renaming /clarifying of some topics (minor race rebelled / message withdrawn Bug =Rebellions, &...? ; Instant-Terraforming Bug =taskforce terrafoming value?)

-> Editing topics/posts (maybe starting a thread for volunteers, where people can post suggestions -with direct link each- for improved posts i.e. formatting,- better/clearer didactic (or english ->my own posts),- or merge in new/additional info).

-> Starting a Wiki page for known subroutines (e.g. 443300: check for powered shipyard)

-> Creating a "modding wish list" (idea by Flocke) + info how hard to do (because we don't want to hear the same questions all over again + a pointer to the source code nonsense (see falcon 4))

-> Updating Monster Info (info is already there, but scattered over different topics)

-> Creating a topic for ship / station upgrading options

-> Testing player bitmask ds:5A2B28 w.r.t. muliplayer -> for AI cheats

-> Fixing shipyard(unpowered) bug using sub_443300 (for ship building & scrapping)

Enough talk. This is Tribble, signing off, for the final time.

@thunderchero: feel free to use my internal mail if you want my advice for one of your own projects (but expect a wait).
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
marhawkman
Commander
Commander

Post by marhawkman »

can't you just lurk, like me, even if you don't use or make mods?
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

First I would like to say;

THANK YOU

I am sure this was a tough decision for you to make, and I wish you well in what ever you do.

No one will replace you.

And you will be missed.

thunderchero
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Aww damn... you will be missed you fuzzy little man peach... LLAP :arrow: \\//,
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
Chernabog
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Chernabog »

Soz to see you go dude, dont know you personally but you certainly know your way round a piece of assembly and have helped me out several times, so yes... a BIG THANK YOU for all your work :)

I hope you decide to come back now and again, perhaps with another good discovery :)

Regards,

C.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Agreed, thank you for all your great work and there will never be anyone 'replacing' you!

I've sometimes asked myself how you've managed to work that hard and much on all the asm code. With having fought myself some little with it, most probably not understanding half as much of asm as you do, I feel I can understand how much effort all your work did occupy.

Some people say it's best to end when reaching the climax cause you'll never get any higher (or better). I'm not of that opinion and doubt it's fitting here, cause like you said there are and will be others still trying to improve the game and I'm more focusing on the process of improving the game, even though climax might be reached.
And even though you've not the time to keep present on here and with all the recognition to your well deserved out-time, I'd be happily welcome you when you find time to pass by once again or better once in a while. ;)
Hopefully your interest for botf will find a way back or botf get's finally replaced by a new and better botf to find you back there. :)

BTW, with all my high respect to you, knowing lots more about programming in high level languages like C++ than about asm, I've to reject generally stating the believe in power of source code to be silly, but on the other hand I've to agree that those 'believes' regarding the source often, if not mostly, indeed have been silly. :lol:
I doubt we'll ever get it and if so, I doubt it'll help as much as many people are wishing for.
But, I don't want to argue on this one and start another 'silly' annoying discussion. Without knowing the source it's useless to argue anyway. And I'm glad you somehow enjoyed my presence as I did with you. :P :mrgreen:

It's sad you're leaving us and it's not been an easy decision for sure.
I hope someone is willing to take on the search for all those funny tribbles hiding within the source. (remembering that funny gif you posted once)

cheers and best wishes, Flocke

P.S. In case there are any special tips practices or secrets to your superior asm knowledge, you might help enlight those with it that aren't that enlightned yet by just collecting the most important ones if it's not too much of a demand and you havn't already (as I havn't read through your asm links yet, that you've posted recently). thank you :)
Last edited by Flocke on Wed May 26, 2010 4:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

wow thats quite a list you enumerated there. didn't know you guys already figured out so much about this. we'll sure miss you here and i hope we wont get completly lost without you.

Kudos to you fluffy tribble guy
Public BotF / EF2 Teamspeak 3 Server: 83.169.13.55
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

marhawkman wrote:can't you just lurk, like me, even if you don't use or make mods?

I second this. I understand if you don't want to do any more modding or "code-breaking" -- seriously, I can only imagine what a pain in the neck it must be -- but surely you don't need to leave us entirely! :(

That being said, I won't begrudge your going. You need to do what you feel you must, which is a sentiment I can appreciate.

You will be missed, though, Spocks-cuddly-tribble. As others here have already stated, there's no replacing you. Thank you for all that you've contributed here, and know that we'll always be around to welcome you home should you return.

May the wind always be at your back, good sir. Qapla'!! :)
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

Good Bye and Good Luck SCT you are a great member of the community.

I hope that a little seperation from Botf may re-enliven your waning sprit toward modding, but, if that doesn't happen, i'd like to add a big thank-you and a real and sincere well done. You have been an inspiration to many on this site!

You will be missed.

And I'd like to wish you 'clear horizons.'
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

Sorry to see you leave SCT. You have contributed immensely to the community and will be missed.

Good luck on your future endeavors.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

Live long and prosper Spocks-cuddly-tribble \\//-
dafolks
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by dafolks »

As you can see I almost never post, but I have always found your comments SCT to be both insightful and well-intentioned in solving the many problems facing this forums great botf modding community as a result of the inherent flaws in the original game.

While I may not have always understood your posts being of only limited experience and understanding regarding the technicalities of modding, I always appreciate the work others put it to enhancing the mods I play whenever time and my other commitments allow
Life's too short not to....
ruthlessferengi
Multiple Tournament Champion
Multiple Tournament Champion

Post by ruthlessferengi »

you'll be missed... hey, why not take a month off and see how it goes, eh?
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
ketteringdave
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by ketteringdave »

Big thanks and good luck. We can only hope that you get drawn back in some time.

It amazes me what this small community has been able to accomplish with this game. BotF has always been one of my favorite games, and the knowledge provided by the code masters here makes it better than ever. People like Spocks-cuddly-tribble are miracle workers, in my view. I try to follow along with their discoveries and am amazed by what they've been able to figure out.

I don't want to sound too cliche, but I'd be honored to take over one small portion of your contributions to this board. So long as nobody expects me to duplicate your results. :)
garek
Ensign
Ensign

Post by garek »

As we say in Mexifornia

Buena suerte
Gracias por todo

Check your 6 a sqadron of K'vorts is decloaking

Return to “General Chat Archive”