Research bug?

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Research bug?

Post by Martok »

Found another odd one (at least it was one that I hadn't seen before)....

In my Klingon campaign, I was researching Propulsion 4 when it got stuck at 78% for at least 3 turns. I was able to "unstick" it easily enough -- I just moved the research to another field (Construction) and then back into Propulsion -- but it was the first I'd ever noticed something like that.

Has this happened to anyone else? Or have I found yet another bug that apparently affects only myself?
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

Unless you had your research intel stolen, I've never seen this before.

Probably another that only happens to you. :wink:
tutankhaten
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by tutankhaten »

Yeah, this has happened to me very, very recently in the Galaxies mod. I was playing as the Romulans when all of my research levels froze at different percentages, a few turns later when they came unstuck there was a massive increase in the percentage of each field researched, almost as if the computer was making up for the turns that it was frozen.

I don't know about any solution but thanks for bringing it up, hopefully someone else has encountered a similar problem but knows the solution. :D
eprahsnada
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by eprahsnada »

I sometimes find things like this happen, but often with me its my buildings and ships. Such as trying to upgrade my mass replicator can sometimes get stuck at say 9 turns left but if i purchace it, it takes me money and then starts all over again :S

Happened with ship creation too except if i purchase the ship it does appear next turn, though it is an expensive cure for ship production freezing. its really strange.
Do you think starships have industrial window wipers? I mean, a space-bug hitting the viewscreen at warp 5 will make one HELL of a mess!
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

might be an internal counter problem -> removing reseach from aq field will cause research decay -> reduce the values and may when reassigned jump a sticky value -> anyone got any exact figures on this?

I've not encountered this myself so can't test.
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

tutankhaten wrote:Yeah, this has happened to me very, very recently in the Galaxies mod. I was playing as the Romulans when all of my research levels froze at different percentages, a few turns later when they came unstuck there was a massive increase in the percentage of each field researched, almost as if the computer was making up for the turns that it was frozen.

Good to know I'm not the only one who's come across this!

Interesting, though, is that in your case, there was apparently a sudden increase in percentages once the research became unstuck. That didn't seem to happen in my case -- if it had, I should've broken through to Propulsion 4 the turn after I fixed it (which didn't happen). Very curious....

tutankhaten wrote:I don't know about any solution but thanks for bringing it up, hopefully someone else has encountered a similar problem but knows the solution. :D

You could try doing what I did: Just transfer all the research points to a different field, and then back to the original field you were researching (i.e., Computers --> BioTech --> Computers). I can't guarantee it'll work, of course, but it might be worth giving a shot the next time it happens.

eprahsnada wrote:I sometimes find things like this happen, but often with me its my buildings and ships. Such as trying to upgrade my mass replicator can sometimes get stuck at say 9 turns left but if i purchace it, it takes me money and then starts all over again :S

Happened with ship creation too except if i purchase the ship it does appear next turn, though it is an expensive cure for ship production freezing. its really strange.

eprahsnada, what version of the game are you playing? I ask because this sounds a lot like the (in)famous build/upgrade bug from vanilla BOTF.
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

oh yea the damn research bug. happend to me in very late game-stages, too.

So to my dishonor I just recognized it after perhaps 5-10 turns (nothing happend while having a mio rp so I noticed) - you know that stage of game when you're at turn 250-300 (t1 game ofc) and have level 12/13/(14) and stuff really takes tooo long to research.

I just can guess but I think theres another value set too small by the original programmers. I had research points beyond good and bad and perhaps it's some unsigned short again (65k somehow I doubt it). But dunno I wouldn't be that surprised tbh.

Return to “General Chat Archive”