BORG!

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

zenith23
Ensign
Ensign

BORG!

Post by zenith23 »

Hi first post here, really enjoying the new lease of life you've given this game.
just wondering if there's any way of removing a ship in this case a borg cube which has appeared on the map.
I'm more or less at the Constitution level of technology in All the Ages and i really don't think anything i've got is capable of taking on a borg cube or any more of them and i don't fancy a long slow lingering death as they spread around.
is UE capable of removing them?
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

i think UE isn't but some of the older editors are:

i know this one can do it...however it won't show you the correct name of the ship you're going to put in instead of the cube as it was made for de vanilla botf and not for a modified one.

here's the link to a directory containing the .exe and a small readme.

http://eberlenet.ch/breen/BOTF_SavedB15/

simply open your savegame with it, go to the ships info menu and search the cube...then change its type, shields and hull to some other ship

again...the shiptypes shown in the editor will be the original vanilla types (with a small ID number to the left) you need to use UE to find a proper ID number and dont forget to edit the shields and hull as well. The game will crash if you change the type to let's say a klingon bop and leave shields and hull set to 32000 (or whatever amount of shields and hull a cube has). best thing is to set both to 1.
Public BotF / EF2 Teamspeak 3 Server: 83.169.13.55
zenith23
Ensign
Ensign

Post by zenith23 »

Thanks for your help. I'll give that ago and hope for the best.
It's a shame the original programmers didn't make this specific to reaching a certain tech level. Over the years I've had to trash a couple of promising games because of this :evil:
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

zenith23 wrote: It's a shame the original programmers didn't make this specific to reaching a certain tech level. Over the years I've had to trash a couple of promising games because of this :evil:
You can always manually turn the Borg random off at the start of a game then turn it back on when you feel your at a suitable tech level.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Or, you can use UE to dumb down the ship stats to a level you are comfortable with, like shields 100 and hull 100, 1 phaser and 1 torpedo, then it should be relatively easy to defeat. Once you are at a suitable tech level, you can make the cube strong again. :)
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
eprahsnada
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by eprahsnada »

Lol I never found the borg to be a specific problem on mine cos I build ships at a stupid rate so i end up winning with quantity. Ive had a few games ruined from them, like one i did where the klingons were completely wiped out before I'd even made contact, they also wiped all but 1 Ferengi system including Ferenginar, so they were no threat and took out like 10 minor races. Didnt find it difficult to deal with the usually well expanded ferengi alliance.
Do you think starships have industrial window wipers? I mean, a space-bug hitting the viewscreen at warp 5 will make one HELL of a mess!
Scutari
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Scutari »

Tethys wrote:Or, you can use UE to dumb down the ship stats to a level you are comfortable with, like shields 100 and hull 100, 1 phaser and 1 torpedo, then it should be relatively easy to defeat. Once you are at a suitable tech level, you can make the cube strong again. :)
I second this.

Ive done this in UE in Ultimate Dominion Mod first with the crystal entity as it popped up early in one game and I didnt fancy it mullering my early developing systems. I then lowered the stats for all "Alien" ships after species 8472 ruined a balanced war against the Feds as Cards.

Its save game compatible, or at least it worked for me.
marhawkman
Commander
Commander

Post by marhawkman »

I once had a game where I successfully used the Borg as a weapon to wipe out the Romulans... I built fleets capable of destroying cubes. The catch? Um... I don't remember actually(treaty?). But I sat back and trashed any cube that entered my space but I let them smash Romulans all they wanted.
zenith23
Ensign
Ensign

Post by zenith23 »

eprahsnada wrote:Lol I never found the borg to be a specific problem on mine cos I build ships at a stupid rate so i end up winning with quantity. Ive had a few games ruined from them, like one i did where the klingons were completely wiped out before I'd even made contact, they also wiped all but 1 Ferengi system including Ferenginar, so they were no threat and took out like 10 minor races. Didnt find it difficult to deal with the usually well expanded ferengi alliance.
I've never liked the quantity has it's own quality approach. I prefer to work up indecent amounts of moolah to bribe the other major powers into staying friends and relying on a medium well trained fleet (elite/legendary) of fast attack craft to keep my borders guarded. everynow and then one of em is dumb enough to try an undeclared war so I get some major fleet action from time to time.
don't get me wrong I love a good punchup with the likes of the borg but I think they should have appeared at the tech level of TNG ships.
Incidently I've also species 8472 hanging about my space but they don't appear to do anything. they bumped into a outpost and fearing the worst fired on them hopeing to at least give them a scratch but to 'no effect' so hailed and they didn't fire back. do they do anything is it too much to hope they might search out the borg and give em a kicking?
eprahsnada
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by eprahsnada »

well the way i see it with the quantity thing it doesnt last long lol. Against the bord i lose a lot of them, leaving well trained crewed ships and possibly a few smaller destroyers, so it all evens out. I once had the romulans getting bombarded so much that they wanted a non-aggression one turn and like 2 turns later they wanted an alliance so i could go in a take the pesky cude out for them, bless them lol
Do you think starships have industrial window wipers? I mean, a space-bug hitting the viewscreen at warp 5 will make one HELL of a mess!
marhawkman
Commander
Commander

Post by marhawkman »

Yeah, anybody who faces a Borg Cube in battle and lives to tell about it is gonna have a lot of experience.
zenith23
Ensign
Ensign

Post by zenith23 »

marhawkman wrote:Yeah, anybody who faces a Borg Cube in battle and lives to tell about it is gonna have a lot of experience.
there are waaaay less painful ways of going about getting though
marhawkman
Commander
Commander

Post by marhawkman »

True but they're not as quick. You can learn more about combat in one day while fighting the Borg than in a year at Academy.
Mumby
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mumby »

I always found having a large fleet of fast attack ships with a complementary fleet of command ships handles the borq quite well. If the tech level is low and the borq appear early, I usually ram them.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

btw if the monster had a map-speed of 0 (what Tethys used in Galaxies mod as transwarp) would it be able to jump from one side of the map to the other?

anyone tried that as yet?

to the borg: nothing hurts more to get them in a t1 game when you haven't reached turn 100 :mrgreen: *looks in Stardust's direction* ;)

Return to “General Chat Archive”