What are you game settings for fun?

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

HsojVvad
Commodore
Commodore

What are you game settings for fun?

Post by HsojVvad »

Well I tried a few settings and I am puzzled at what to do now.

I am playing on the awsome mod, Large All Ages Mod. I am at level one while the other races start at leve 3. I find this a good mix so I don't get my ass kicked.

Well playing on the largest map, and when I finally make contact and battles start to occur, the in between turns are taking a bit too long for me. A minute and not it's about 2-3 minutes a turn. Well this may not seem much, but when playing for 6 hours straight, and at night, I am falling asleep now. But I keep trying to play on. Problem is, I can get about 10-20 colonized planets and have my infanstructure up to compet with everyone else, it's about an even playing field now. So now with the long inbetween turns, and us being even, I think it's about time to start a new game.

So I tried on the smallest map with me at level 1 and everyone else at level 3. Problem is, we are so bunched together, contact is within first 15 turns, I am getting my arse kicked. So I am thinking of trying to start with the next size map.

So what I would like to konw is what size you uplay at and what is your inbetween turns at turn 200+
beepo
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by beepo »

I usually play a large galaxy many minors. I'll then use UE to move everyone so that we aren't on top of each other.
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

That's interesting, HsojVvad. I haven't really had the same problem with long turn-processing -- I generally have just 10-15 seconds, at least in the first 300 turns or so. The time between turns does get longer later in the game, of course, but that's to be expected.

My settings: Large Balance of Power mod, (usually) the largest map size, maximum minor races, tech level 1 for all five major powers, normal difficulty, random events disabled.
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

simple equation:

the more ships : the slower proceeds the game during turns

when you even start with two techlevels difference and then play for that long w/o crushing the A.I. then you don't have to wonder that it takes that long.

destroy one or two of the AI players and the game will become much faster/more stable again.

less AI ship-redeploying also means less errors/game crashs
HsojVvad
Commodore
Commodore

Post by HsojVvad »

That would explain it KrazeeXXL. Problem is, I am not good enough to eliminate the AI yet.

Well I did save my game turn 307, U am ready to take out the Ferengi, or so I thought. I just saw them bring in their 100+ fleet in now. I don't think I can take care of them, but maybe I can take alot out.

So this would weaken them AND, make my turns faster. I will try it and see.

@beepo, I tried to use the UE to change the locations of races, and all I get is crashes, so I just start a new game till I like the spacing of the Major AI so it is more of a fun game.
PRIUSQUAM PRAESENS DAMNATUS SALVENS :
HIC HOMO NESCIENS. QUAE FUTURA EST ?

EST PLANE VANUM?
MAGNIFICANDUM?
ERROR AUT SANUM?
O FORTUNA EST!
QUA?
Army37
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Army37 »

KrazeeXXL wrote:simple equation:

the more ships : the slower proceeds the game during turns

when you even start with two techlevels difference and then play for that long w/o crushing the A.I. then you don't have to wonder that it takes that long.

destroy one or two of the AI players and the game will become much faster/more stable again.

less AI ship-redeploying also means less errors/game crashs
I find that Galaxy Mod is the worse for the lag due to the fact that Tethys gave the Cardassian ships cheap building and maintenance costs. Large Galaxy in that mod is unplayable after 300 or so turns as it can take up to 5mns wait per turn.

The All the Ages mod using the Large version of the game isn't that bad after 400 turns, it lags, there is impressive amounts of ships from the Ferengi as they bribe most of the minor races easily....altho being attacked by 135 cruiser and 50 destroyers, it takes 30 seconds or so per turn on the battle screen to go to the next turn. I had to cheat my way around by pumping the shields and shields regeneration strenght of my Starbases and ships as I was still in lower techs while the other empires were already all almost at level 10. The biggest problem there was the dilithium planets....wasn't able to build so many ships and only had a few minors races space faring. Had to concentrate most my planet strenghts on Intel against sabotage.

To be honest, if I don't cheat my way around with the mods by modifying the shields strenght and/or the # of turn it takes to build starbases, 95% of the time I'd be crushed by the other empires as the AI is building ships faster than I can. Never won or finished a game since the Large maps have been implemented either lol
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

imo the star density is way to high. good example is BOP - large or normal maps doesn't matter which. in turn 1 just switch your subspace scanner on and get kicked away by up to 15 or even more(!) systems in immediate reach.

this goes for all players and the AI is known to colonize everything. And it can build ships en masse as it gets Dilithium from every system whether it has Dil or not...

it's good to see large fleets and its fun if there wasn't that damn deploying problem... I hope that can be fixed by some clever person some day. I'm pretty sure that'd solve the lag problems this game has.

Return to “General Chat Archive”