I think I posted this question once before...

This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

Tachyonfang
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

I think I posted this question once before...

Post by Tachyonfang »

I think I posted this question once before, but for the life of me I can't seem to find it on the forum anywhere, so I will ask again.
Whenever I play BoTF, the game runs and plays just fine. I finish my game, and the screen resolution is still set at 1920x1200. So I finish my other work and shut the system down, and go about my day. But when I turn the system back on and boot up again later, my system screen resolution resets to its lowest setting (800x600) instead of staying at its normal setting (1920x1200). This only happens when I have played BoTF. It causes my entire desktop to scramble all of my icons and it's very annoying.
My system is running Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2.
As I said, I think the solution to this problem is already in the forums somewhere, but I can't find it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about or am I imagining that the answer is already out here?
--Tachyonfang
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

have you tried the window work around somewhere under 'windowed mode' iirc
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

hm strange problem.

With some games I also have the problem with the icons but that the screen resolution changes after a reboot... that's odd.

If you got an ati graphics card, I suggest u to use ati tray tools.

1. you can save the icon positions for each resolution and restore them @ any time you want
2. you can setup multiple profiles for any games/programmes

within these profiles you can setup screen resolutions and all kinds of different stuff (like overclocking settings, fan speed, AA/AF and whatnot) which will be used as long as you run the profile. after you quit the game standard settings will be restored (you can set up this, too, if you want former settings to be restored or not)

Either way the window-workaround, Peter mentioned, was posted by Flocke here somewhere and should do the trick, too. It requires some hexediting of trek.exe.

I've got no clue about Shista since I've never used it and the last time I've used a Nvidia card is ages ago. But I guess there might be some similiar tool as att to use for geforce cards as well.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

have not heard of this problem before, but I had some troubles with wrong icons with vista before. If that's what you mean with "scrambling", to get the correct icons back, you have to force vista to rebuild the icon cache. Therefore you essentially have to delete the (hidden) IconCache.db in C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local folder and reboot your system. There do exist many tutorials in the web, and I also found a batch file for this procedure somewhere... :roll:

I think your problem could be a driver issue, so you might have found the answer somewhere else. As a workaround you could try switching the resolution manually after exiting botf. ;)

gl

Edit: BTW, have a look to your profile, there you can view all your posts (Find all posts)
So if you asked this question here before, it's been in the old forum... :(

Return to “General Chat Archive”