This forum contains threads from main General Chat forum older than 3 months.

Moderator: thunderchero

OllsMcAllister
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by OllsMcAllister »

Hey all,

Just thought I'd create a thread to say hello from your newest member. I've been playing BotF for many years now (still have my original disc from when the game launched two decades ago) and can't believe I haven't ever modded the game before.

Quite excited to see the Ultimate Dominion III Mod - in the process of downloading that and the BOTF_1.0.2_English_German_e.exe file at the moment.

Are there any tips and tricks that some veteran modders would like to impart to a newbie? :)

Olls
HsojVvad
Commodore
Commodore

Post by HsojVvad »

Welcome to the forums. 2 decades ago? I thought it was only 10 years old. :D

As for tips use the key board short cuts. I and O is In and Out or zoom in and zoom out. Arrow keys scroll your map as well when you are in the planet screen you can use the arrow keys to go to the next alphabetiacly planet.

I love the All Ages Mod because you can build Minor race ships not sure if UDM III does this or not and love starting with the NX-01.

Play the game, make lots of mistakes learn from then and come back on the forums to ask.

Have fun.
PRIUSQUAM PRAESENS DAMNATUS SALVENS :
HIC HOMO NESCIENS. QUAE FUTURA EST ?

EST PLANE VANUM?
MAGNIFICANDUM?
ERROR AUT SANUM?
O FORTUNA EST!
QUA?
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

So you're going to try yourself in modding the game?

this tread may be useful to you:
viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1284

a very handy tool you should use from the very beginning on is Dcer's Ultimate Editor:
viewtopic.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=173

it allows you to edit certain stuff like buildings, shiplist, animations, races and so on.

there's quite a few things we're able to do, however the steps necessary for modifying a certain part of the game are quite different.
I for example use to edit the games 3D graphics. I have only very few experience in editing something like a GUI or the Gamecode. whichever area you pick, be aware it requires a lot of time to seriously get into it and produce something useful.
Public BotF / EF2 Teamspeak 3 Server: 83.169.13.55
OllsMcAllister
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by OllsMcAllister »

Haha well, two decades ago in that it was released in the 90s (1999) and we're now in the second decade of the new millenium :p

Taking names on Tech 1 as the Romulans right now, Turn 298 and have just managed to pacify that galaxy after an all-out-war with the four Major Races all kicking off at me for no real reason; I took out the Ferengi in response, annexed their homeworld, and left them surrounded in the Mizar system :)
HsojVvad
Commodore
Commodore

Post by HsojVvad »

Oh how I hate the Ferengi for some reason. Thanks for taking them out. ;) For some reason they cause me problems lol.

Another piece of advice is I would browse through the fourms here say the first 5 or 10 pages and skim the titles. If you see anyone asking a question, read it see if you rememeber it or something clicks in.

Also we have 3 games going online, One someone posts a pic and the first person to guess it, gets to post the next one, the other is a quote quiz, guess what episdoes it was from, 1st person gets it posts the next one and the last one is just any Star Trek Trivia.

Please feel free to join them as well. It's lots of fun.

EST PLANE VANUM?
MAGNIFICANDUM?
ERROR AUT SANUM?
O FORTUNA EST!
QUA?
OllsMcAllister
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by OllsMcAllister »

Haha oh no problem - their War Cruisers regularly incur my wrath; their raiders are just so meddlesome!

I'll have a look through the forums over the next couple of days - it's great to see a healthy ST community still going! I spent a lot of time in the "old days" on the ST-Onet forums in anticipation for Star Trek Online and, before that, spent a number of years clanning and haunting forums. Trivia (hopefully!) remains on my strong points so I'm looking forward to diving into a thread or two.. :)

Olls
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

I welcome you new member :)

it's always good to see new ppl around here in our little haven called afc.
RSE_Dissy
2020-Vanilla
2020-Vanilla

Post by RSE_Dissy »

welcome to the community mate :)
Dissy of Red Squad Elite;

The Elite Gaming Clan of the MSN Gaming Zone

Peace, Love & Unity
NiAi
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by NiAi »

Hi, like OllsMcAllister ive been playing BotF since its release. I cant believe ive missed this wonderful place, but that got remedied today ^^
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

Welcome to AFC, NiAi! 8)
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

\\//-
OllsMcAllister
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by OllsMcAllister »

Nice community here it seems :)
Mantaray
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Mantaray »

I have been a fan of BOTF for years. It's the only game that I actually took a strong liking to. I broke the disc years ago because I was spending far too much time on it.

Is the game available online now???? would love to learn how to access this.

I have a MAC so I don't know if it is available for my OS
HsojVvad
Commodore
Commodore

Post by HsojVvad »

If you look int the download section Mantaray you will see what you are looking for.

Will it run on a MAC? I have no idea, don't know anything about Macs so unless you have an emulator I don't think you can run BotF on a Mac.

EST PLANE VANUM?
MAGNIFICANDUM?
ERROR AUT SANUM?
O FORTUNA EST!
QUA?
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

I think you can run BotF under Wine? and the ISO is avaliable in the download section as HsojVVad wrote.

Return to “General Chat Archive”